Jackson Holliday 2023

Sports Guy

33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Mid July to early august for his AA promotion sounds right.

But if he has an 850+ OPS and is playing really well by mid June or so, I can see him coming up sooner.

I am guessing that Holliday may hit for higher average and OBP than Henderson and Mayo did at Aberdeen, while possibly showing less power.  But we’ll see.   It will be exciting to follow.  

I believe Holliday's timeline for promotion will be solely on how Holliday performs and whether he checks off the metrics they are looking for in High-A. We've seen that this doesn't always mean good statistics as Cowser, Norby and Mayo all received promotions mid-season last year without putting up very good numbers in that tough hitting environment. 

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

No idea. I don't think the organization has much to say about the affiliates once an agreement is in place. The Orioles choose vey unwisely keeping Aberdeen instead of Frederick IMHO. I miss Frederick being an affiliate. I wish they would upgrade their stadium and get the Bowie franchise since that ownership is embarrassing and Prince George's stadium is as well now.

But saying that, as long as Holliday keeps hitting gap to gap and working pitchers, he should be fine.

I got curious about park effects at Aberdeen, and I was somewhat surprised to find out it's about 95, which makes it a pitcher's park but not excessively so.  Pawtucket and Norfolk are both in the 90-92 range.  It feels like Aberdeen's reputation is worse than its park effects, but I haven't been to any minor league parks so it's hard for me to comment intelligently on that.

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Bencosme does not need to be playing SS anyways so Jackson should see 80% of the time at SS at least. 

Now we'll see how he handles the notorious Sally League where Orioles prospects bats traditionally go on slumber.  

I'm ok with him losing some power as long as he still puts up a .500 OBP.

Several Blood quotes in the MILB.com write-up - he feels like a long exposure to High-A will be really productive.

https://www.milb.com/news/o-s-jackson-holliday-promoted-to-aberdeen-ironbirds

Here's the first batch of High-A pitchers (WAS, Wilmington) that take a try at handling him, including I believe Tom Glavine's kiddo.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=14&stats=pit&qual=0&type=1&team=64&season=2023&seasonEnd=2023&org=&ind=0&splitTeam=false&players=&sort=11,1

Juan Soto led the 2018 Nationals in OPS+ despite such teammate mediocrities as Age 28 Anthony Rendon and Age 25 Bryce Harper.

Edited by Just Regular

I was at the game. He absolutely smashed those first two hits. Showed nice speed on the triple but was thrown out at the plate on the next play when a teammate hit it too the left side.

Fun night in Wilmington.

FWIW, Dylan Beavers was ralking too. Has a big frame, decent speed and can probably get bigger.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1