Jackson Holliday 2023

Sports Guy

1 minute ago, deward said:

That's a big boy homer. The Baseball America guys were speculating on their podcast that he may have even more power potential than was anticipated. 

He doesn't look like he's filled out.  Right now the power seems to be coming mostly from the quality of contact. 

4 minutes ago, deward said:

That's a big boy homer. The Baseball America guys were speculating on their podcast that he may have even more power potential than was anticipated. 

He has been slugging for this whole run dating back to his last year of high school. But because he's not 6'4, I feel he has sort of unfairly been viewed as an AVG/OBP guy.

Not sure what his exact height/weight is now, and he's probably closing in on his ultimate height, but his dad was certainly a big boy.

1 minute ago, Alasdaire said:

He has been slugging for this whole run dating back to his last year of high school. But because he's not 6'4, I feel he has sort of unfairly been viewed as an AVG/OBP guy.

Not sure what his exact height/weight is now, and he's probably closing in on his ultimate height, but his dad was certainly a big boy.

His next youngest brother is supposed to take after dad.

What happens if they promote him by early June to Bowie and he hits?   Would you be tempted to let him get two/three weeks at AAA to end the season?  

I think if he is hitting .325 with some pop and still walking and still tough to strike out in Bowie would you give him a taste of Norfolk?  

Honestly I would love to see what happens if he mashes AA this year and next spring training mashes.  I would be so tempted to bring him up opening day and say "lets go"  

Just now, Gurgi said:

What happens if they promote him by early June to Bowie and he hits?   Would you be tempted to let him get two/three weeks at AAA to end the season?  

I think if he is hitting .325 with some pop and still walking and still tough to strike out in Bowie would you give him a taste of Norfolk?  

Honestly I would love to see what happens if he mashes AA this year and next spring training mashes.  I would be so tempted to bring him up opening day and say "lets go"  

If it was me?  I leave him in Bowie and just plan on him making the team out of ST.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

His next youngest brother is supposed to take after dad.

Yeah, in the pictures from Jackson's introductory presser, Ethan was already clearly bigger than him.

But according to Perfect Game, Jackson is faster than Ethan.

This in no way has anything to do with Holliday but I think we need to stop assuming that there is no way Jones isn’t the better prospect.

We are talking SSS right now.

I think the Os made the right call but I still feel Jones is going to be a very good prospect..maybe even elite.

Remember, he had an injury last year that costed him his first taste of pro ball (and shoulder injuries aren’t easy to immediately come back from) and he had a quad injury this year.  

Let him get healthy and get his footing before acting as if this was a slam dunk decision or the scouts had it wrong or whatever.

Edited by Sports Guy

You can't actually complete your Raysian bingo card until you've used a 1st round pick in the postseason and put him in AAA the next April.

Continue the monthly experiments until he encounters a group of league average pitchers that can get him out.    If the answer is MLB pitchers in September, you can still take Adam Frazier to the playoffs if you must.

1 hour ago, Alasdaire said:

A lot of the best power hitters in Mlb history weren’t that tall.  Hank Aaron was only 6' 0". 

8 hours ago, Chaka Garcia said:

He seems to have a small frame to me. Already 185 at 5-10/5-11, not sure he can pack much more.

SS and 2B are the only positions that pretty much require a body type to be effective. Baseball players tend to come in all sizes and shapes. But middle infielders tend to be lean. Ripken was 6'4", but played at a lean 200 pounds. You cant have a spare tire or look start pumping iron all day long and play SS or 2B in the MLB very well.

• Confused 1