Gunnar Henderson 2023

Just Regular

6 minutes ago, Dibbs31 said:

Holy #@$% he is 21 years old facing the best pitchers in the majors

Actually he is facing some of the worst pitchers in baseball too. But it sounds like you are saying he isn't ready. You are probably correct.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He’s talking about defense. 

My bad. His defense will be fine. Gunnar should be the absolute least of our worries. We should be absolutely pumped that he is in this organization

3 minutes ago, Dibbs31 said:

My bad. His defense will be fine. Gunnar should be the absolute least of our worries. We should be absolutely pumped that he is in this organization

You can be pumped that he’s in the organization and still be unhappy with his play. He’s not beyond reproach. He’s waiting too long to swing at hittable  pitches and his defense is more erratic than it should be. And he’s not showing any real improvement in those areas. The Orioles can afford to be pretty patient with him because they are winning, but I bet more fans would be expressing displeasure with his play to date if the Orioles were struggling. Anyway, I don’t think Gunnar is beyond criticism and he shouldn’t be on an endless leash. There are players at Norfolk banging on the door and the Orioles have a shot at the playoffs. If Gunnar looks the same at the end of this month, then the Orioles should consider a switch. 

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

Except he is the worst player on the roster right now

Yea we should get rid of him. I didn't think Baltimore fans were worse than DC fans until now. Gunnar is the future. He absolutely needs to take some licks at the MLB level. 

Just now, Ohfan67 said:

You can be pumped that he’s in the organization and still be unhappy with his play. He’s not beyond reproach. He’s waiting too long to swing at hittable  pitches and his defense is more erratic than it should be. And he’s not showing any real improvement in those areas. The Orioles can afford to be pretty patient with him because they are winning, but I bet more fans would be expressing displeasure with his play to date if the Orioles were struggling. Anyway, I don’t think Gunnar is beyond criticism and he shouldn’t be on an endless leash. There are players at Norfolk banging on the door and the Orioles have a shot at the playoffs. If Gunnar looks the same at the end of this month, then the Orioles should consider a switch. 

It’s not beyond criticism. He has holes in his game but there is no more development in AAA.

Sending him down or even suggesting sending him down is just idiotic.

Just now, Ohfan67 said:

Sure. If a month from now he is hitting .190 I'd consider making a move. But we are absolutely blessed to have Gunnar in this organization and if he needs to take some lessons learned at the MLB now to pay off for the next 10-15 years we should be patient. 

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Except he is the worst player on the roster right now

A little patience is required.  Going into today, he’d been worth 0.2 rWAR, 0.2 fWAR.   He’s not exactly killing us.  He’s been on base a ton even though he hasn’t been hitting much.  Just stay the course, he will come around. 

Just now, Sports Guy said:

It’s not beyond criticism. He has holes in his game but there is no more development in AAA.

If the Orioles want to be in the postseason this year, then they may not be able to afford prolonged development in the majors. And that’s assuming  there is development in the majors this year. There are no guarantees with any of these guys. If the Orioles don’t see Gunnar making progress at the majors, then he will leave them little choice…at some point. 

1 minute ago, Ohfan67 said:

If the Orioles want to be in the postseason this year, then they may not be able to afford prolonged development in the majors. And that’s assuming  there is development in the majors this year. There are no guarantees with any of these guys. If the Orioles don’t see Gunnar making progress at the majors, then he will leave them little choice…at some point. 

Well luckily they aren’t even remotely at that point. Not even a worthy discussion at this point.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I pretty much agree with Sports Guy......just not the idiotic part.   LOL.   If you can just remember how rough Markakis and Ripken had their first year you would understand why we need to have patience.  Gunnar is honestly probably going to be as good as Markakis.  All the respected national independent scouting orgs believe in him.   He needs a very very long leash.