Ohtani Rental?

Bahama O's Fan

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I agree and the Angels should trade Trout if the opportunity arises in return for decent value.

At the risk of getting off topic, I think the only way the Yankees or Phillies would try to trade for Trout is if the Angels would take back an expensive player in return -- like maybe the Phillies sending Schwarber and his salary to the Angels in addition to a couple young players.  Something like that.  Looking at a few rosters it might be the Dodgers that could want Trout the most, especially if the Mookie infield experiment works out.  But I doubt the Angels are savvy enough to trade Trout as long as they are playing pretty well.

13 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

There is a good size Asian population in the Baltimore area and DC isn’t far away and there is a greater Asian population there, if that is something that is important to him.

A Japanese population and an "Asian population" are 2 very different things. Japanese culture is not like other other Asian cultures, and historically, several other Asian nations/cultures have had their fair share of conflicts against Japan.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Verlander was viewed as being on a decline from his peak.  Houston was viewed as being brave for picking up all that salary.  Ohtani is seen as undoubtedly the best player in baseball.  No doubt some teams will think that trading for him will give them a leg up in signing him in free agency.  If someone like Cohen, the Mets owner really wants Ohtani on his team, I'm sure he won't trade a top Mets prospect for him.  When there is a lot of competition in the trade market is when teams hugely overpay.  Does it make sense for a team to give up a prospect like Holliday for a few months of Ohtani, of course not, but teams desperate to make a trade make unwise decisions, like San Diego when they traded 1/2 their farm for Soto. 

Soto was not a rental.  Teams that rent a player do not get “a leg up” in free agent signing of the player historically.  Players go where the money is.  Ohtani rental will not require a number 1 prospect imho. 

Is anyone scared off by the thought of paying a player that that will turn 30 during the first season of the contract?  I feel like these massive free agent deals work out so infrequently.

Say you pay him 50m per season and he gets hurt. Now you just lost 2 great players.  That's a ton of risk.  Ton of reward also.

Just now, kidrock said:

Is anyone scared off by the thought of paying a player that that will turn 30 during the first season of the contract?  I feel like these massive free agent deals work out so infrequently.

Say you pay him 50m per season and he gets hurt. Now you just lost 2 great players.  That's a ton of risk.  Ton of reward also.

I don't think you can build a perennial contender without assuming a certain amount of risk.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think you can build a perennial contender without assuming a certain amount of risk.

I thinks that 100% true.  But that leads to the question, how much risk right?   Ohtani is going to get 450-600m.  That's a supersized amount of risk.  One injury and you are hosed.

On the flip side, you add Ohtani to the O's for the next 8 years, you have to think they will be a perennial top contender each year for at least the next 4.

14 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

A Japanese population and an "Asian population" are 2 very different things. Japanese culture is not like other other Asian cultures, and historically, several other Asian nations/cultures have had their fair share of conflicts against Japan.

Billy-you are being kind.  Other Asian cultures despise the Japanese (as they should) starting with atrocities and occupation from WW2 then going back centuries.  The Japanese (I've lived and worked in Japan) still consider themselves superior to all other cultures.  Their cultures are extremly siloized.

There were some good points brought up earlier in this thread.  He is single and yes we don't know his true motivations but at the risk of generalizing (I know I shouldn't Frobby!!) being close to their own culture is so important to the Japanese I have known I would be shocked if he looked anywhere other than the West Coast and NY teams.   

1 hour ago, kidrock said:

I thinks that 100% true.  But that leads to the question, how much risk right?   Ohtani is going to get 450-600m.  That's a supersized amount of risk.  One injury and you are hosed.

On the flip side, you add Ohtani to the O's for the next 8 years, you have to think they will be a perennial top contender each year for at least the next 4.

Couple more good points-thank you.  You essentially  would be asking the Orioles (traditionally a risk adverse franchise) to tie up roughly half of their payroll in one player (and we all know pitchers break) and the Orioles (traditionally a cheap franchise) to double it's payroll.  You can dream but neither of those are likely to happen.  

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

How many baseball franchises is Ohtani going to be worth more than after he signs in FA?  

The Royals sold for a cool billion so I'm guessing none of the ML ones.  No idea what a NPB or KBO team is worth.  Maybe Ohtani can buy his old team when he retires?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Some folks think that extending pre-arbitration players to long term deals is overly risky.  Rays do that.

Those are risks, but tend to be smaller dollar-wise and you’re paying for the players’ best years.  I’d rather spend $320 mm on two Wander Franco’s than one 29-30 year old superstar.  

• Upvote 1