Xavier Avery article

TakebackOPACY

Here's a nice article about Xavier Avery. I don't have great feelings about the new Lexus, but most of us would be hypocrites to say we wouldn't buy ourselves a few toys in his situation at 19 years old.

I don't have many worries about that. Stotle noted in his draft write up over at Camden Depot that he's a solid character guy (and then some):

Stotle's Notes

Avery is an exciting player because he gives an organization so much to work with. On top of an above-average tool set, Avery has a passion for the game and a strong baseball IQ. Perhaps just as important, he was a fine student at Cedar Grove, posting a 3.8 GPA and 1420 SAT score. Any time you have a raw player with great tools, it's encouraging to see a strong work ethic and mental approach. Avery will be faced with may challenges as he matures as a ballplayer, and as a person. The Orioles invested a lot in a pick at 2:5, and could be handsomely rewarded if the organization is able to harness his ability.

http://camdendepot.blogspot.com/2008/06/draft-recap-xavier-avery-cf-cedar-grove.html

I don't have many worries about that. Stotle noted in his draft write up over at Camden Depot that he's a solid character guy (and then some):

http://camdendepot.blogspot.com/2008/06/draft-recap-xavier-avery-cf-cedar-grove.html

I'm not doubting his intelligence, but I have an honest question -- is the SAT score based on the 1600 scale or the other one (I think it was 2400)?

When I was in high school, it was 1600. But I know they switched it (to 2400?) a few years ago, and I think they might have even switched it back to 1600. I'll admit, I have no clue what it is now.

If he got a 1420 out of 1600, that's very impressive.

I'm not doubting his intelligence, but I have an honest question -- is the SAT score based on the 1600 scale or the other one (I think it was 2400)?

When I was in high school, it was 1600. But I know they switched it (to 2400?) a few years ago, and I think they might have even switched it back to 1600. I'll admit, I have no clue what it is now.

Oh, no idea. I wasn't really looking at the SAT score as a mark of anything, but rather the fact that scouts think he's got good make-up.

I took the SAT in 1989 (probably hungover). I've got no idea how they score it now.

Oh, no idea. I wasn't really looking at the SAT score as a mark of anything, but rather the fact that scouts think he's got good make-up.

I took the SAT in 1989 (probably hungover). I've got no idea how they score it now.

Definitely. I think it has little effect on his makeup. I was just curious.

PS -- I also took it hungover (after staying up all night following my girlfriend-at-the-time's prom). Scored a 1360. Only reason I remember is because I was so proud of scoring that with my condition. :)

Well I should hope they meant it on the 1600 scale...if they're trying to impress people with his SAT score, that is.

the new grading scale for the SAT is 2400.

the new grading scale for the SAT is 2400.

Yes but in most cases, schools only look at the two original parts of the SAT, so basically they only take into account your score out of 1600.....if people have very similar scores, then schools look at the third part of the SAT (the writing section) to analyze who performed better.....either way, most schools now continue to consider SAT scores out of 1600

Also, in the article they talk about him giving back so this says more about his character. Smart upstanding student, charitable, good work ethic, sounds like a well rounded guy to me. With a million dollars in his pocket, a car is a small luxury.

A 1420 would have been sick during the time that I took the SAT, 1600 scale, didn't know they changed it.

Let's hope he makes good strides on the field and with the bat.

Not to state the obvious, but being smart doesn't make him a "high-character" guy. It just means that he's smart, and/or works hard in school. I've known plenty of those people who have no character. BTW, don't take this as a knock on Avery, I have no idea what kind of person he is.

Also, in the article they talk about him giving back so this says more about his character. Smart upstanding student, charitable, good work ethic, sounds like a well rounded guy to me. With a million dollars in his pocket, a car is a small luxury.

A 1420 would have been sick during the time that I took the SAT, 1600 scale, didn't know they changed it.

Let's hope he makes good strides on the field and with the bat.

Though the SAT is technically on 2400 scale, most schools disregard the new writing section, therefore looking at the score out of 1600. Very few schools look at the 2400 score, and really don't care much about the writing section.

If he got a 1420 out of 1600, thats phenominal. If it is out of 2400, that is nothing to write home about, and that 3.8 gpa looks a little fishy, maybe some grade changing involved. I will take the benefit of the doubt and say tht its out of 1600.

Not to state the obvious, but being smart doesn't make him a "high-character" guy. It just means that he's smart, and/or works hard in school. I've known plenty of those people who have no character. BTW, don't take this as a knock on Avery, I have no idea what kind of person he is.

I don't think anyone in this thread confused to two. I referred to character (and don't think anyone else did), but did so in the context of a whole paragraph about work ethic, smarts, baseball I.Q. and an article that refers to charity, generosity, and supports the work ethic comments.

I mean, of course some smart people aren't particularly lovely people. But no one's really making the mistake you seek to clarify.

Archived