Roch: Cowser to join Orioles in NY

Brian88

Well, I guess the excuses are over now.  I won’t need to read about how we’d be winning more games if Westburg and Cowser were up here.   Frankly, I’m happy about these moves but even though the offense has slumped a bit in the last week or so, I’m far more worried about our pitching, especially our middle relievers.  

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, 86this said:

I don't think it was a surprise to him and it was just a Buck Britton formality.

They really need to up their "you're going to the show" announcement game. Cowser and Westburg have been about as anticlimactic as you can get. Is there a Star Wars related nickname we can give Cowser? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think it's going to come down to O'Hearn versus Hicks for playing time.  Hicks can spell all 3 OF, DH, and play vs. LHP.  O'Hearn can only start at 1B/DH versus RHP. 

The lineup has the horses now.  Even has really good bench depth and versatitlity.  Mateo will be a weapon late in games.  Now it's just time to produce.  Eventually Mckenna goes down for Mountcastle, and Mountcastle starts versus LHP.

This is the best bench I can ever remember us having.  

McKenna just went down....

I'm not convinced that Mountcastle is done just yet. Once O'Hearn gets phased out (my assumption), ABs will open up for Mountcastle if he starts producing. I suspect he's one hot streak away from getting his job back.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, I guess the excuses are over now.  I won’t need to read about how we’d be winning more games if Westburg and Cowser were up here.   Frankly, I’m happy about these moves but even though the offense has slumped a bit in the last week or so, I’m far more worried about our pitching, especially our middle relievers.  

We'd be winning more games if Kjerstad was up!!!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

We'd be winning more games if Kjerstad was up!!!

Nope.  Not quite Kjerstad time yet.  Right now its... DFA Mateo and get Ortiz up here.  

Any thoughts on the reliever we called up?  He looks like a FB/SL guy.  

Will we option Kremer after this start to carry an reliever?  

2 hours ago, deward said:

I've been rooting for this team for over 30 years, and this is by far the biggest collection of minor league talent the org has had in all that time. Seeing that talent starting to stock up multiple roles on the big league team is one of the most exciting things I've seen in all that time, even knowing that some will struggle at first and that 100% of them won't make it. Isn't a bevy of homegrown talent leading the team to (hopefully) future championships what everyone wanted to see out of this rebuild? 

I don’t know if you were just reading what you wanted to read, but I didn’t dispute or address anything in your response. I simply addressed where I thought the bitterness came from. I did not say I was bitter. The only thing I’m disappointed in was the lack of opportunity afforded to Joey Ortiz. 

With respect to your question at the end, it seems rhetorical, but of course I’d like to see the team win. I don’t particularly care where the players come from. If the players leading the team to the title are homegrown, that’s great. I see them play in Norfolk when I’m down there. Some of them have been extremely nice to my 5 year. If they trade some of them to acquire a difference maker or two that lead the team to the championship, that’s also great. If they sign Ohtani and he’s the one leading the team to the ring (I realize they won’t be signing Ohtani, this is simply an example) that too is great.

Edited by Sydnor
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Why do they keep playing all these so-called "prospects"?? None of these guys have proven themselves, they look like "suspects" to me! Gimme Hicks and Frazier, at least you know what you're getting from them. And why won't they give Mateo a chance to get hot enough to carry the team again? This team could be winning a lot more games if they would just give those vets on the bench a chance.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, deward said:

Why do they keep playing all these so-called "prospects"?? None of these guys have proven themselves, they look like "suspects" to me! Gimme Hicks and Frazier, at least you know what you're getting from them. And why won't they give Mateo a chance to get hot enough to carry the team again? This team could be winning a lot more games if they would just give those vets on the bench a chance.

taraji-phenson-boy-bye.gif

24 minutes ago, 86this said:

I don't think it was a surprise to him and it was just a Buck Britton formality.

OK. Cowser got the office meeting even if it looked a bit rushed. Now we just need to see the uniform number to know if he's preferred prospect or not. 

2 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

I don’t know if you were just reading what you wanted to read, but I didn’t dispute or address anything in your response. I simply addressed where I thought the bitterness came from. I did not say I was bitter. The only thing I’m disappointed in was the lack of opportunity afforded to Joey Ortiz. 

With respect to your question at the end, it seems rhetorical, but of course I’d like to see the team win. I don’t particularly care where the players come from. If the players leading the team to the title are homegrown, that’s great. I see them play in Norfolk when I’m down there. Some of them have been extremely nice to my 5 year. If they trade some of them to acquire a difference maker or two that lead the team to the championship, that’s also great. If they sign Otani and he’s the one leading the team to the ring (I realize they won’t be signing Ohtani, this is simply an example) that too is great.

I didn't think you were posting your personal opinions, I understood your intent. My response wasn't directed at you, more at the positions you were summarizing. 

I want the team to win, but I would also like to see a foundation laid that will keep the team relevant year in and year out, rather than a mid-90s style free agent splurge that can't be sustained. Not that I don't want them to invest in strategic free agents when the time and opportunity is right; I'm not looking for frugality, just a repeatable approach. So, in that sense, I do care where the players come from. A one and done 1997 Florida Marlins approach might be fun for a year, but a slide back into irrelevance right after the parade would take a lot of the shine off of it for me. A run to a ring from a home-grown foundation, with key acquisitions layered on top, would be a lot more satisfying for me, knowing that the pieces are there to try and run it right back (I know it's cliche at this point, but just like what Houston has managed to build). Seeing the pipeline start to product dividends seems like nothing but good news; reading some folks pooh-poohing it (not you) is just....strange. 

• Upvote 1