Second half rotation

Sports Guy

Arnold and Palmer were talking about how the team hasn’t decided on how to do the second half rotation.

GRod has to be up soon. It’s fair to ask for who but he needs to be up.

Wells should come out of the break as the 5th starter just to keep the innings down for now.  By doing that, he wouldn’t pitch for 10 days, which is basically the equivalent to skipping a start.

No concern for the innings for any of the other starters, so we can slot them accordingly.

I'm wondering if they shouldn't try a Gausman approach with Rodriguez. Bring him up and put him in the bullpen, let him be a 2 to 3 inning bridge when our starters go 4 to 5 IP, then as he shows success, transition in him into the starting role. May help sure up the Bullpen in the near-term and be one our playoff starters by the end of the season

I don't think John Means can be part of any starting rotation talks, and if he finds his way back by Aug/Sept, we can just look at that as an added bonus, but we can't plan around it all.

That sounds like a good plan.  I would piggyback him with Irvin as the starter most likely to implode or have a short start.  If Irvin goes 5, Rodriguez could pitch the last 4, or if Irvin goes 6, Rodriguez would pitch 3.  If Irvin implodes, Rodriguez could go 5 or more, sparing the bullpen. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Arnold and Palmer were talking about how the team hasn’t decided on how to do the second half rotation.

Wells should come out of the break as the 5th starter just to keep the innings down for now.  By doing that, he wouldn’t pitch for 10 days, which is basically the equivalent to skipping a start.

No concern for the innings for any of the other starters, so we can slot them accordingly.

So….

Bradish

Kremer

Rodriguez 

Irvin

Wells

That’s right, no Gibson.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ScGO's said:

I'm wondering if they shouldn't try a Gausman approach with Rodriguez. Bring him up and put him in the bullpen, let him be a 2 to 3 inning bridge when our starters go 4 to 5 IP, then as he shows success, transition in him into the starting role. May help sure up the Bullpen in the near-term and be one our playoff starters by the end of the season

I don't think John Means can be part of any starting rotation talks, and if he finds his way back by Aug/Sept, we can just look at that as an added bonus, but we can't plan around it all.

I like the idea of an effective GRod and Means both in the bullpen in September.  

1 hour ago, Il BuonO said:

So….

Bradish

Kremer

Rodriguez 

Irvin

Wells

That’s right, no Gibson.

I've been wondering about that too. I.e., trade him for a strong bullpen piece, taking on salary if necessary? On the other hand, rotation depth is good, and Irvin has an option remaining; plus Wells to the bullpen could also be a win-win.

Edited by now

Unless Gibson completely implodes I don't see them getting rid of him. He gives consistent innings and keeps us in games. I'd rather option Irvin or Kremer if we need to make room for Grayson. Then we keep control of all three and go with the hot hand down the stretch. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Unless Gibson completely implodes I don't see them getting rid of him. He gives consistent innings and keeps us in games. I'd rather option Irvin or Kremer if we need to make room for Grayson. Then we keep control of all three and go with the hot hand down the stretch. 

They'll probably do a six man rotation or put Irvin in long relief.

The fact that we didn’t see Irvin optioned immediately after his start should mean that he’s getting one more start. I think Grayson makes his next on start in AAA on regular rest. 

Gibson is struggling, but he showed something hanging in the NYY game on July 4, and having a decent outing. 

Post ASB 

July - Kremer, Bradish, Wells, Irvin, Gibson

August - Kremer, Bradish, Wells, Grayson, Gibson

September - Kremer, Bradish, Wells, Grayson, Gibson, Means

Playoffs - Wells, Bradish, Grayson, Means/Gibson

2 hours ago, now said:

I've been wondering about that too. I.e., trade him for a strong bullpen piece, taking on salary if necessary? On the other hand, rotation depth is good, and Irvin has an option remaining; plus Wells to the bullpen could also be a win-win.

You can't have too much rotation depth.  Rays' starting pitching has been decimated by injuries.  O's starting pitching has been very healthy in comparison.

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He doesn’t have to be up. He is still a part of the puzzle at AAA. 

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Cole Irvin has had two decent starts in a row and there's no way he's getting a permanent spot in the starting rotation over Gibson as of right now.  Now if Gibson continues to struggle and Irvin keeps pitching well then it can be considered.

My ideal scenario would be Grayson getting called up and another starter acquired by trade. Gibson could shift to long relief (or Irvin) and be a spot starter to spell Bradish, Kremer or Wells if they need a rest with a tired arm.

• Upvote 1