“Ortiz is going to have a long future as a starting shortstop, and here is the most likely place”

OakOrioles

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I thought this thread was about Ortiz.  

Now that the deadline has passed and we didn’t trade Mateo, I’d DFA him and bring up Ortiz.  But I sense that the Orioles are unlikely to do that anytime soon.  So, I think Ortiz just plays in AAA unless someone gets hurt.  

Mateo has many warts as we all know but still contributes. He basically got our third run last night on his own with his speed, and his defense, though there have been a few more hiccups this year, remains stellar. 

I want to see Ortiz up here but there’s no way the Os will DFA Mateo. Maybe Ortiz comes up on 9/1 and Mateo is used just for his speed on the base paths moving forward from there. 

5 minutes ago, dystopia said:

If we had an owner who wasn't terrible and actually wanted to win it would be a no brainer to re-sign him, especially with how little money we're spending right now. 

O's have the best record in the AL.   A #1 farm system.   They way they keep that is promote their young stars when ready and trade they FA ready players for prospects.   I think that is Elias plan.

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Because Santander will be in this walk year next year.   The O's have to decide whether to sign for 5/100 or trade him.   They can't let him walk for nothing.    

Would you offer him a three-year $30 million deal?

Just now, wildcard said:

You are ignoring the money.    Santander has to sign a long term contract or be traded.   The O's have Kjerstad and Cowser to replace Santander and not pay the big bucks.    Hays and Mullins are only in their 4 year next year.  They both stay and provide stability to the roster.

I’m not ignoring the money.  Santander is the more important player to keep for next year.  2025 is no concern with the amount of outfielders in the system.   The Orioles should have no problem paying Santander his 12-14M next year and decide whether to offer a QO at the end of the year.  He appears to be more of a team leader, a more productive player, a SH, and the added flexibility of playing 1B.    Hays May stay but Santander isn’t going anywhere and if it comes down to a choice, Hays gone.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

One the Elias will not do.  And you are too sensible to not realize that.

You are a hard head.  Elias will be happy to pay Santander on a one year contract and decide next November if he wants to offer a QO and get a draft pick.    

1 hour ago, Fan4Life said:

I have seen commentary that Santander should likely be moved this offseason.  Is anyone in favor of keeping him around? 

I personally like Santander and am not convinced that either of Kjerstad or Cowser (and I’m big on Cowser) can put up a season like Ant had last year. Plus he hits from both sides of the plate, which is VERY valuable, especially to a club like the O’s who are hardcore about data and matchups.

At some point Ant likely will move on from the O’s but he’s right up there for me with Hays and Mateo as my favorite current Orioles go. 

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

O's have the best record in the AL.   A #1 farm system.   They way they keep that is promote their young stars when ready and trade they FA ready players for prospects.   I think that is Elias plan.

Case by case basis.   Each one is different.   You still think he’s trading Frazier this year?   LOL

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You are a hard head.  Elias will be happy to pay Santander on a one year contract and decide next November if he wants to offer a QO and get a draft pick.    

We don't know what the budget will be.

One would think that with the increased success on the field and the resulting bump in attendance the money will be there.

But we don't know.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You are ignoring the money.    Santander has to sign a long term contract or be traded. 

No he doesn’t? Where did you come up with this? Players reach free agency with their original team all the time. When they don’t, it’s often because the team is going through a rebuild. We aren’t. The O’s can just keep Santander through his current contract. 

Hangouters are always so quick to trade away talent. “Ortiz has to be traded because he doesn’t have a spot”. “Santander has to be traded because one day he will hit free agency.” No they don’t. The O’s can just keep their good players under their current contracts. Offer him a QO if you want. If he accepts you get more Tony Taters. If he declines you get draft pick compensation. This idea we have to trade everyone before they hit FA is madness. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

We don't know what the budget will be.

One would think that with the increased success on the field and the resulting bump in attendance the money will be there.

But we don't know.

We don’t know.  My opinion is that Santander will be here on OD 2024 on a one year agreed upon or arbitration decided contract.   

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

If you were Santander would you accept that if the market is 5/100?

I agree that Santander wouldn’t accept a 3/30 contract although I have no idea what his true market value is.  5/100 sounds a bit much.  I think Elias thanks him for everything next November and wishes him luck.

16 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Ortiz has a role in this teams future. It may be more of a back up role and platoon/injury insurance role. Holliday, Mayo, Kjerstad, Ortiz will replace Frazier, Mateo, Urias,Ohearn, in the future.

We'll see, but again, I believe he starts more games at SS than Henderson or Holliday, though all three will see time there.  Westburg covers 2B and 3B but does not play SS.

Just as an aside - the thought of Henderson, Holliday, Ortiz, Westburg and Mayo sharing the same infield - that is an insane collection of talent!

Edited by 25 Nuggets
added opinion
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Fan4Life said:

How many games are left in MILB? Would he get a chance with the MLB club in September before a move to  end his season in AAA?

Of course everything is contingent upon his health. But hopefully if he is back soon. He can finish the season at AA. Regardless of level/competition this year (including Spring Training), the young man has hit. 

He is truly so advanced as an offensive player, that I believe that he could start next season in the Majors. This is something that I have been thinking about because as long as we are owned by awfulness, we are going to have to look at maximize our best/strongest talent together for roster optimization purposes at some point.

If we were to hold him down in the Minors say all or most of the season next year, then you are looking at a situation where Grayson/Adley/Gunnar/Kjerstad/Holliday only play together for 3 seasons. If any of those players were to say get hurt or have a down season in any of those years then we are done to 2 years. At some point we are going to have to put chips toward the center of the table so to speak, and try to maximize this window/opportunity while we have it. It is likely never going to be this good again with drafting so much high end talent toward the top of the draft.