The Orioles will not win the 2023 WS, and may not make the playoffs...and that is Ok

OnlyOneOriole

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This thread doesn’t get made if they don’t fly across the country after a day game and play a well rested team that also happens to be the hottest team in the game and get blown out. 

Yeah. Tough travel schedule. Most of the NFL teams go out a couple days before to adjust to the time, don’t get that luxury in baseball. This was always going to be a challenging series. Seattle is either scorching hot or mediocre at best. The SD series worries me a bit given the pitching matchups but we have a chance to get right at OAK and then a nice 9 game home stand after that. Anything around .500 the next couple of weeks and I’ll be ok with it. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This thread doesn’t get made if they don’t fly across the country after a day game and play a well rested team that also happens to be the hottest team in the game and get blown out. 

Or if the guy who started it wasn’t drinking til 2 am before posting

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I posted in one of the other threads a month ago or so that I didn't think the O's were as talented or playing as well as their record.  This is something that I have thought all year.  Not just because of their last few games.

I mean if you really look at their lineup objectively?  It is not as good as what their record is.   But as I said that is ok......this year is just a bonus to what should be a very very solid many years of upcoming good baseball. 

Yes the Os should make the playoffs but it would not surprise me to see them not win the division and I have no expectations at all that that they win the WS or even make it to the WS for that matter.

5 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I have said throughout this year that anything the O's do this year is just a bonus.  Next year is the year I expect them to be very good.

I think their success this year has kind of led us fans into a fantasy that is not based in reality.

If you really look at their lineup, from starting pitching to relief to the lineup 1 through 9?  It is good, but not elite.

We don't have even one dominant ACE, let alone 2 like some teams.  Our relief pitching outside of Felix?  Very VERY average.

Our hitters?  Lots of good hitters who can get hot.  Some no names having career years.  And lots of first and second year players who get hot....and then  get not hot.  Which is what you expect out of first and 2nd year players.

When they play teams like LA or Atlanta or Houston?  Honestly I expect them to lose 2 out of 3.  Just what it is. 

So to expect them to win 3 series in the playoffs against those same type of teams this year?  I think that is asking a lot.

I would be very happy to win the division this year or even a WC.  I don't expect them to win a playoff series.  And as I said that is ok.

Next year? I expect a lot.

If the Orioles do not make the playoffs this year it means that they collapsed/choked and they would most certainly not be ok!

The division is there for the taking as well with Tampa not playing well the second half and with McClanahan being out for the season.

Collapsing/choking down the stretch of the season and missing the playoffs would be a really bad sign of our players’ abilities to handle pressure/perform under scrutiny. That is not what I want to see at all. And could have carryover into next year and effect the psyche of the team.

• Upvote 1

It’s true that we don’t have one of the top 5 pitchers in the AL, but we are right on par with any team in Game 2-4 of a series. Plus, we’ve had a good record this year versus Cole, Gausman, and Mclanahan. 

Grayson has been pitching like an ACE. I’m not reading too much into that we had our #4 SP go up against Castillo last night. That’s going to happen in a 162 game season.