Is Luzardo a realistic target?

Frobby

6 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Maybe it's been discussed, but why would Miami want to trade Luzardo?

Speculation I saw is he’s going to be due pay increases over the next three years that will potentially diminish future trade value, so trade him now at maximum value. Seems a little too cute to me, but obviously they were in talks with the Royals. He’s had some durability issues too. 

4 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Few reasons:

1) They have a lot of young pitching 

2) They have a need for hitting and don’t want to pay exorbitant costs for it.

3) Maybe they feel, after his first season with substantial IP, that they should sell high.

12 hours ago, ScGO's said:

I don’t think they want to trade them. It’s more like the housing market during Covid. Some people didn’t want to sell but getting 500k for 300k house will gain your interest. Right now the starting pitching market is inflated.

22 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t disagree…but I’m not trading top 20 prospects that are killing it at way younger ages than their league for a pitcher that finally topped 101 IP for the first time in his career at age 26.

Im willing to give up a lot for him but I have my limits.

The only guys I would make Basallo or Mayo available for are likely guys that aren’t available at all.

And Luzardo just might be a guy thats not available, but if he was and we got him and youre able to extend John Means, with Wells and Hall as starter depth youre SP is starting to look pretty darn goodfor the next 3+ years. Risk with Luzardo? of course same risk the MArlins would be taking on with thier return or any player for that matter. Injury and under performance are staples of the game

On 12/17/2023 at 7:50 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

Hopefully Luzardo helps drive down the CWS asking price for Cease. Cease is the better fit since we won’t have to give up MLB pieces. But trading Santa for a SP does offer a two birds with one stone approach. 

I'd much rather have Luzardo. Sounds like the White Sox want Holliday. I'd much rather give up 2 or 3 MLB pieces instead of him. We have to trade a few to clear space anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not sure why they added 2B Yiddi Cappe to the deal.

He's a talented pitcher, he'd help the team.  Not sure Elias is willing to give up Cowser.

I’d gladly do this deal.   Have no idea why they’d send us Cappe though.  

A neighbor mentioned recently his current 8th, rising 9th grader was going to get to practice with the high school team this spring.     Having today learned Luzardo and Mayo were Class of '16 and Class of '20 at MSD, it makes me wonder if Mayo got a similar opportunity in spring 2016 and maybe a chance before he finished middle school to swing against the Senior star who would get $1.4mm from Mike Rizzo later that summer.