Who is a prospect you hope isn’t traded…

Sports Guy

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Saying Ortiz isn’t odd. But the idea that some subjective ranking is the reason for it, is odd to me.

It's not just one subjective ranking though, he's a consensus 6th or top 6 in all the main lists out recently including Tony's. 

My answers are EBJ, McDermott, and Povich though for position scarcity reasons. 

3 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

It's not just one subjective ranking though, he's a consensus 6th or top 6 in all the main lists out recently including Tony's. 

My answers are EBJ, McDermott, and Povich though for position scarcity reasons. 

But it’s still subjective. And even if you agree with it, answering this solely because of ranking and ignoring age, positional needs, long term upside, etc….Is odd to me.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Ortiz.  Not a difficult question.  He's the sixth guy.  Everybody else is a lesser prospect and thus less valuable.

I agree here.  My reasoning is simple, I'm hopeful (though not very to be honest) that if he is still on the team we can see an infield of Henderson/Westburg/Ortiz until Holiday comes up as I don't believe 'he can make the OD roster' talk.  Keeping Ortiz means that hopefully one, or both if I'm lucky, of Mateo and Urias are gone.  I'm a huge believer in Ortiz glove and think he can hold his own with the bat too.  

All that said, it partly depends on Mayo.  If the Os are serious about letting him play 3rd, then I'd rather see an infield of Henderson/Westburg/Mayo, but then Ortiz could be the 4th to plug in for some off days, but then I'm not sure what to do when Holiday is up.  It's a good problem to have for sure!  But mainly I don't want to see Mateo/Urias on the roster come OD and one way that happens is to keep Ortiz.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But it’s still subjective. And even if you agree with it, answering this solely because of ranking and ignoring age, positional needs, long term upside, etc….Is odd to me.

I did that the other day in one of your proposed trades and you gave me crap about not taking the better prospects.  LOL.

I think you pose these hypotheticals to bolster whatever point you want to make, regardless of consistent principles.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I can see Elias trading some intl guys if he needs to but I don’t think he trades any of the top guys. He has put too much into building that up and I think he sticks with them.

Most likely, but if they do help bring back impact major league ready talent, that will show the results of the international program.

Guys I'd like to keep...

Jackson Holliday 

Jordan Westburg

DL Hall

Heston Kjerstad

These are some of my favorites. But like anything, it all depends on who you're getting back in return. That's even more the case as we go down the list of prospects I didn't write.

I was very disappointed we traded Zach Showalter. I really believe he will develop into a really good player.

37 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I did that the other day in one of your proposed trades and you gave me crap about not taking the better prospects.  LOL.

I think you pose these hypotheticals to bolster whatever point you want to make, regardless of consistent principles.

You will have to provide that back and forth. My guess is that you, per usual, are missing context in what I was saying and how it’s different than you what you are saying here.

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Johnson or McDermott.  Ortiz is up there, too.  I dunno, there's just something I like about that guy, I think it's that he brings a glove that the rest of the MI talent can't quite match.

Gun to my head, the only one is Seth Johnson.

Still think the best defensive team we could put out there is Henderson, Ortiz, and Westburg.    I highly doubt we see it, though.

• Upvote 1

Pretty much anybody from the most recent draft class before we get a chance to see how they do with a full season. 

Beyond that, any pitcher will be a bummer to some degree because there‘s so much more need there.

But I’ll say Fabian. He’s a much lesser prospect, but I like the defense/power/walks combination a lot. He has a good path to being a very solid righty complement 4th OF if they can get his K rate under control, and the Orioles have shown some ability to do that. Wouldn’t stop me from including him in a deal of course but I hope he’s not chosen as an extra piece added in. 

32 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Still think the best defensive team we could put out there is Henderson, Ortiz, and Westburg.    I highly doubt we see it, though.

The 2024 All Orioles Organization top defensive lineup...

3B Urias / Henderson 

SS Ortiz / Henderson / Westburg 

2B Westburg 

1B Mountcastle

C McCann

LF Hays

CF Mullins

RF McKenna? Bradfield (does he play RF?) Fabian? Cameron?

It's a toss up picking the RFer for me. I'd like to see them play Kjerstad in the field because the Baysox game I went to, he and Cook were covering alot of ground out there. They did a good job and I'd say those 2 were the best players on the field that day.

After the top 5, there are 4 guys with a 60 ceiling (Tavera, DeLeon, Liranzo, Sosa).  DeLeon in a position of need means more to me than the two with a higher FV than 45 (Tavera/Liranzo at 50).

The other position of need is CF, putting EBJ in my Circle of Hope as well.

• Upvote 1