Do you like rooting for an underdog? I kind of do

Frobby

Just now, Frobby said:

As I’m reading about the Yankees getting Soto, the Blue Jays chasing Ohtani, the Red Sox possibly be in the running for Yamamoto, it occurs to me…

I kind of enjoy rooting for the underdog.  The team that tries to get it done without spending a ton of money grabbing other team’s players, the team that competes by just being smarter than other teams about how they acquire and develop talent.   

This isn’t a new feeling.  I remember so well when free agency started, and how we lost Reggie Jackson, Bobby Grich and Wayne Garland in the very first winter of wholesale free agency.  Everyone assumed that the Orioles were doomed, but the next 7 years were arguably the most satisfying in Orioles’ history, bringing two pennants and a World Series title.   Those 1977-1983 teams weren’t as good as the 1969-71 Orioles, but the fact that they were able to succeed despite the obstacles created by free agency made those seasons really special to me.

So don’t get me wrong, I don’t like seeing the Orioles hamstrung, and the long periods of losing have been very painful.   But when the O’s are having success, I really enjoy the fact that they’re doing it as an underdog.

I've always felt that the Orioles were an "underdog" except for the times in the 1990's when Angelos went wild with the checkbook.  The Yankees, Red Sox, and Blue Jays always seem willing to pay big money.  With that "underdog" status, I truly hope it's the O's and Rays battling it out for the AL East again...but with these teams and their seemingly unlimited payroll, it will be harder to do.

I prefer the NFL model with revenue sharing, the salary cap and a salary floor. I like the forced parity that still allows for good franchises to still rise to the top consistently.

But yes, I do love the small market teams finding success in baseball. I'm personally stoked about Soto, Ohtani and Yamamoto potentially all coming to the AL East to maintain the underdog status. I'd love to see the Orioles increase payroll a bit to augment their team and lock up their core while they're young, but still maintain the same overall organizational philosophy of prioritizing building a homegrown team.

Edited by ThisIsBirdland
  • Upvote 1

Absolutely. It is particularly nice when the underdogs are young and unproven too. 

I find it hard to cheer for overpaid underdogs though. This made the Davis situation so hard. I suppose this is why the story arc of an unknown's rise to fame only to come crashing down is so sweet when they return after people have counted them out. 

Edited by AdamK

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As I’m reading about the Yankees getting Soto, the Blue Jays chasing Ohtani, the Red Sox possibly being in the running for Yamamoto, it occurs to me…

I kind of enjoy rooting for the underdog.  The team that tries to get it done without spending a ton of money grabbing other team’s players, the team that competes by just being smarter than other teams about how they acquire and develop talent.   

This isn’t a new feeling.  I remember so well when free agency started, and how we lost Reggie Jackson, Bobby Grich and Wayne Garland in the very first winter of wholesale free agency.  Everyone assumed that the Orioles were doomed, but the next 7 years were arguably the most satisfying in Orioles’ history, bringing two pennants and a World Series title.   Those 1977-1983 teams weren’t as good as the 1969-71 Orioles, but the fact that they were able to succeed despite the obstacles created by free agency made those seasons really special to me.

So don’t get me wrong, I don’t like seeing the Orioles hamstrung, and the long periods of losing have been very painful.   But when the O’s are having success, I really enjoy the fact that they’re doing it as an underdog.

From what I've read they didn't exactly try that hard to keep them.

I'm fine with rooting for an underdog, I just wish that ownership didn't exacerbate the situation.

A lot of the O's underdog status seems to be self-inflicted.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As I’m reading about the Yankees getting Soto, the Blue Jays chasing Ohtani, the Red Sox possibly being in the running for Yamamoto, it occurs to me…

It occurs to me that the AL East is worried.  They HAVE to gear up to compete.  They HAVE to spend because they don't have the juice any other way to do it now.  Comments like "We'll have to deal with him (Gunnar) for a long time" bring me joy.  

NYY is pot-committed now with old/injury-prone players. Soto/Judge/Cole and the geriatric crew.

BOS has been wishy-washy.  Are they competing or building a core?  Threading the needle is tough if they aren't going to be top 5 payroll.

TOR's dominated young core has chinks in the armor.  2023 was an off-year for them, but still...

TBR seems to be retooling in 2024 and a lot depends on Wander's status.

The AL East is scared for when the rookie birds' RIP tax is paid in full!

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I think I prefer doing it with a payroll that's less than the powers that be. I'm not sure why that is, but I enjoy winning more with players drafted & developed by the Baltimore Orioles. Sure, I'd like to sustain the best ones if possible but I'm not into a team full of mercs. 

I'm fine with a payroll that is lower than the top teams but I do with it was at the league average.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think the rest of the AL East is panicking about how good we are and loaded for the future, that's why you see the Sox trying to get Yamamoto, the Yankees giving up more prospects for Soto, etc.  

I think the Yankees are upset they missed the playoff and the Jays are upset they underperformed their apparent talent.

I don't think the O's are the main factor in them trying to improve.

I have no idea what the Red Sox are trying to do.