Roch provides update on Os search for pitching

Sports Guy

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Heck yes it is.

Digging through blog posts from last year, no thanks.

Cute edit you added, shame you can't stealth edit anymore eh?

Yea, chum I'm scared.  Of something happening on an internet message board.

Drama queen?

53 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sorry I don't have it on hand.

I apologize but I'm not looking for it.

He made some comments this offseason saying he expected the price of starters to be high.  I don’t think he undervalues pitching.  He had a strategy to build up the offense first and it’s worked well.   He’s made a number of pitching-oriented trades and this last draft was very pitcher-heavy.   I think by next September we’ll look back and say our MiL system was well balanced in 2024.   

48 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He made some comments this offseason saying he expected the price of starters to be high.  I don’t think he undervalues pitching.  He had a strategy to build up the offense first and it’s worked well.   He’s made a number of pitching-oriented trades and this last draft was very pitcher-heavy.   I think by next September we’ll look back and say our MiL system was well balanced in 2024.   

I'm not looking for it since I don't care enough to but I recall last offseason a comment being made about him being surprised at the price of FA pitching.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd like your source on that statement.

I just pulled up pre and post all star break and it shows the Brewers having a team ERA .36 runs a game lower.  Not saying you are wrong, mind you.

As to my actual statement, when someone continually expresses surprise at the cost, in both money and prospects, to obtain pitching it shows that they undervalue pitching compared to their peers.

If everyone else thinks a dweeble is worth 100 peebles and you think it is only worth 80 peebles, you are undervaluing it compared to the established market value.

After all, at the end of the day everything is worth what someone will pay for it.

That's one way to look at it (majority opinion goes). 

One could also say that the market (majority) overvalues pitching, and Elias knows its true value, relative to position players. For example, giving pitching less priority in the draft could reflect a realistic SigBot devaluation based on extra risk involved. That's what I would call adjusted or relative value rather than market-perceived, inflated value. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not looking for it since I don't care enough to but I recall last offseason a comment being made about him being surprised at the price of FA pitching.

That would be once.  “Continually” implies a lot more than once.

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right, I was responding to Frobby not to your request.

That was why I quoted him.

I wasn't fulfilling your request.

You feeling OK?

Feeling great.  Just had a great dinner and a pretty good slice of cheesecake.   Now I gotta stay awake until until 12 for gift exchanging.   I find it funny that you ask for links but are unwilling to provide any.  

giphy.gif

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Feeling great.  Just had a great dinner and a pretty good slice of cheesecake.   Now I gotta stay awake until until 12 for gift exchanging.   I find it funny that you ask for links but are unwilling to provide any.  

giphy.gif

I asked because I had found contradictory data.

I had time to do a 15 second google search.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I asked because I had found contradictory data.

I had time to do a 15 second google search.

The same amount of time it took me to find the link you asked me for.  No problem.  I’ve seen how you answered other posters who asked you for links before.   I guess we’ll just assume there are many instances of Elias being quoted about being surprised about the cost of pitching.  I’m sure they’re out there somewhere.

image.png.5f081e679b268f39ffcc50b42728318b.png

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The same amount of time it took me to find the link you asked me for.  No problem.  I’ve seen how you answered other posters who asked you for links before.   I guess we’ll just assume there are many instances of Elias being quoted about being surprised about the cost of pitching.  I’m sure they’re out there somewhere.

image.png.5f081e679b268f39ffcc50b42728318b.png

Right....

I spent a very small amount of time looking into a statistic you referenced and politely asked for your source since the information you gave was different than what I found.

You then decided to ask me to find a quote which I'm sure wasn't a gotcha move in retaliation to my post which would have necessitated doing substantially more work.

You are correct that I have turned down requests of this nature before.  I suppose I should start bookmarking links to Elias quotes.

I haven't refused to source statistics.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right....

I spent a very small amount of time looking into a statistic you referenced and politely asked for your source since the information you gave was different than what I found.

You then decided to ask me to find a quote which I'm sure wasn't a gotcha move in retaliation to my post which would have necessitated doing substantially more work.

You are correct that I have turned down requests of this nature before.  I suppose I should start bookmarking links to Elias quotes.

I haven't refused to source statistics.

Thank you for taking the requests to backup your statements under consideration.  Much appreciated.