2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

I'm probably the biggest Hyde critic on the entire board, so I'll give him credit on the following good moves for today's lineup:

1. Moving Gunnar out of the leadoff spot

2. Moving Westburg up in the lineup (even though he was hitting 7th in yesterday's lineup, which was bad) to leadoff against a LHP

3. Keeping Cowser in the lineup despite most people's inclination to bench Cowser due to his slump. One of the reasons Gunnar is so improved against LHP this season is because he played every day last season and took his lumps against lefties.

However, starting Mullins against a lefty is terrible. Mullins is unplayable right now in general, but against LHP this season, he's slashing .128/.171/.350. It's inexcusable to start Mullins against any lefty, end of story. Even if Mullins goes 4/4 with a HR today, it's bad baseball and a poor decision. 

Cowser should have slid over to CF with Hays getting the start in LF for today's game.

Man is the bottom of the lineup ugly today. Hopefully I can put a Roy Firestone reverse-jinx on it.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

I'm probably the biggest Hyde critic on the entire board, so I'll give him credit on the following good moves for today's lineup:

1. Moving Gunnar out of the leadoff spot

2. Moving Westburg up in the lineup (even though he was hitting 7th in yesterday's lineup, which was bad) to leadoff against a LHP

3. Keeping Cowser in the lineup despite most people's inclination to bench Cowser due to his slump. One of the reasons Gunnar is so improved against LHP this season is because he played every day last season and took his lumps against lefties.

However, starting Mullins against a lefty is terrible. Mullins is unplayable right now in general, but against LHP this season, he's slashing .128/.171/.350. It's inexcusable to start Mullins against any lefty, end of story. Even if Mullins goes 4/4 with a HR today, it's bad baseball and a poor decision. 

Cowser should have slid over to CF with Hays getting the start in LF for today's game.

Man is the bottom of the lineup ugly today. Hopefully I can put a Roy Firestone reverse-jinx on it.

100% agree. 

I love that we are finally re-slotting our hitters. Westburg has proven that he is one of the best 5 hitters on the team and should no longer continue to hit in the bottom 3. If the goal is to get your better hitters to bat as much as possible, then this makes sense. Also, Gunnar should not be hitting lead off, too many homers being waisted as solos because the bottom of the order was batting in front of him and not on base much.

Of course our bottom 3 are still very weak. But for some reason they decided to activate but not play Hays. I would much rather Hays take the place of Mullins or Cowser against the lefty Kikuchi.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gtman55 said:

I guess Hays isn't ready. Would rather see him in the lineup instead of a bewildered Mullins. 

I’m sure he’s ready or they wouldn’t have activated him.  

Just now, Frobby said:

I’m sure he’s ready or they wouldn’t have activated him.  

Then it makes zero sense to not play him today. Wet track or not. I mean if he can't play on a wet field why did he come off the IL? Mullins needs to sit for a week and get his head in the game. 

1 minute ago, gtman55 said:

Then it makes zero sense to not play him today. Wet track or not. I mean if he can't play on a wet field why did he come off the IL? Mullins needs to sit for a week and get his head in the game. 

The best way to get out of a slump is to sit for a week. His defense has sure been awful, so his head clearly isn't in the game, right?

3 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

Mullins issues are not due to effort ("having his head in the game"). As a matter of fact, Hyde has even said how much he is "pressing" which means he is trying too hard/tensing up and not relaxing and reacting. The issue is the timing and angle of his swing (which is leading to all of the popups), not his effort/focus/"head being in the game".

But I agree in that I would rather play Hays than either he or Cowser against LHP at this point.

14 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

It doesn't make sense to you, but it does to Hyde. Guess who's opinion matters more.

1 minute ago, spleen1015 said:

It doesn't make sense to you, but it does to Hyde. Guess who's opinion matters more.

What purpose does a response like this serve apart from shutting down discussion?

19 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

Yeah he could have still been rehabbing in the minors.  Cowser and Mullins have been colder than ice and need to see some bench time.  Hays was supposedly fighting illness when he was hitting .100 before IL stint

Let's see what Stowers/Hays can do.