Coby Mayo 2024

Tony-OH

Coby Mayo look ready for major league pitching, but he's got one concern that major league pitchers will attempt to exploit and that's breaking balls. Here's what Mayo has done this year against them.

image.thumb.png.ffdd09544ab25a2213c7466ff62a85b2.png

Now his wOBA (.283) shows he's not dominated by them although it's below average, but his xwOBA (.223) suggests he gets a lot of flairs and soft contact hits which is pretty common across most hitters on breaking balls when you compare the two.

Now the good news is he absolutely murders fastballs.

image.thumb.png.5e7dcc77b9527a891ed55ef035403e97.png

And he does really well against offspeed (changeups).

image.thumb.png.08f1ba4945ad4d8d88357f8692a81c44.png

So the challenge he will face at the major league level will be steady diet of breaking balls until he proves to them he can hit them.

Now, Mayo is a smart hitter and if he knows a break ball is coming he can mash it, so if they make a mistake, he's going to make them pay, which might mean they'll try to challenge him at times as well.

Ether way, I think his bat is absolutely ready to be a middle of the order hitter with the Orioles.

As for the glove, he's made 3 errors in his last 29 games at 3B and his rocket arm will make some plays that Urias or Westburg will not.

image.png

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Ridgway22 said:

I don't know if an O's prospect has made me this tingly in quite awhile.

Maybe when Bundy was tearing up the minors. I'm just salivating thinking about a Troy Glaus-esque bat in the middle of this order. 

Well, maybe Mauer with Power.

Bundy when he had the hitless streak was amazing 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jagwar said:

@Tony-OH that looked like a pretty good curveball he mashed. Hope he can keep working on hitting that pitch. 

That was a 1-2, middle-middle curveball that he did absolutely mash. Mayo is one of the smartest hitters, but major league pitchers are typically more unconventional in their pitch selections down in counts and of course make less mistakes.

I have zero doubts that Mayo can hit curveballs if they're mistakes, it just the pitch group that he struggles with more than others, which is not uncommon. Lots of major league hitters have poor stats against breaking balls or offspeed.

I didn't mean to suggest Mayo has a "hole" with off speed, just that it's what major league pitchers will attack him with initially to see how he reacts. 

I do know if they make a mistake with a fastball he's going to do a lot of damage. Either way, he's ready to be playing in the major leagues now.