Craig Kimbrel 2024

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think he was the exact opposite of a panic signing.

He was the safe move.

No one is going to question bringing in Kimbrel as the caretaker closer on a one year commitment.

Agreed he was a safe bet for someone that was an established closer with success.  They didn’t want to throw someone into the fold with no experience at closer especially a team most likely playing meaningful games in September and October.  We have seen good relievers from 7th and 8 th inning try to close and it been a disaster.  Closing is a different animal mentally and some guys can’t handle it.  They figured he would be a solid guy that could handle the ups and down.  Last year he was solid with a small bad spell and I think that was what they expected. The stuff still has been about the same but command is what has killed him.  If you look at his numbers the strikeouts are similar, the hits are exactly better and his OPs against is better with fewer homers.  The walks are the main issue that is hurting him.  

1 minute ago, Jagwar said:

Kimbrel got some outs and provided some innings. But unless he rebounds to 94-95 and cuts down on walks, he is at best a mop up reliever

Who are you going to depend on in high leverage situations, considering that unless the O's blow someone out, most games we are in are going to be close and most of our starters aren't going to give us more than 5 innings.

21 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

Agreed he was a safe bet for someone that was an established closer with success.  They didn’t want to throw someone into the fold with no experience at closer especially a team most likely playing meaningful games in September and October.  We have seen good relievers from 7th and 8 th inning try to close and it been a disaster.  Closing is a different animal mentally and some guys can’t handle it.  They figured he would be a solid guy that could handle the ups and down.  Last year he was solid with a small bad spell and I think that was what they expected. The stuff still has been about the same but command is what has killed him.  If you look at his numbers the strikeouts are similar, the hits are exactly better and his OPs against is better with fewer homers.  The walks are the main issue that is hurting him.  

I wonder how much is command and how much of it is him "not giving in"?

14 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Who are you going to depend on in high leverage situations, considering that unless the O's blow someone out, most games we are in are going to be close and most of our starters aren't going to give us more than 5 innings.

Hyde isn't depending on him now. 

OK, I’ll be the devil’s advocate for Kimbrel.

Appearances 1-10: 0.90 ERA, .288 OPS against, 14.4 K/9.  1 walk in 10 IP.

Appearances 14-38: 1.57 ERA, .396 OPS against, 13.7 K/9.  8 walks in 23 IP.   

The guy is capable of being dominant for LONG stretches of time.  But he has periods - and he’s in one now - where his command goes walkabout.  

Appearances 11-13: 5 BB in 1.1 IP.

Appearances 39-47: 10 BB in 8.2 IP.

So, you can throw the guy in the garbage, or try to nurse him back to his next long stretch of dominance.  

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wonder how much is command and how much of it is him "not giving in"?

I would say mechanical and command more than giving in because most of his misses are not even competitive.  If you just miss off the edge is one thing but missing by 2 feet is different.  

37 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Way to avoid the question.  If not Kimbrel, then who?

I was being conversational

There really isn't a great alternative other than waiting for Webb and Coulombe to get healthy. Tate?