Cade Povich 2024

emmett16

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I’ll leave the player evaluations to you since it’s your specialty.  I just gave reasons why I don’t think we see Povich anytime soon.   

We could also give up the farm for Jesus Luzardo, as was your plan in the offseason 

2 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

How about you give a confidence ranking & ratings (1-10) for those 5 guys to be reliable, productive starters.

I would probably put Irvin a clear #1 of the 5, with a confidence level of about 6 out of 10

We don’t need all five to be reliable, productive starters.  If two of them are, we’re in great shape.  

52 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Fun fact: 196 pitchers already have started a game this year.  That’s 6.53 per team, and it’s April 22.   

I don't know what the record is for arms utilized this early, but it sounds like a lot. That's a bunch of teams that couldn't through their rotation 3-4 times without needing more arms. Even the Orioles at 6 starters already.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

We don’t need all five to be reliable, productive starters.  If two of them are, we’re in great shape.  

And Irvin probably the only of the 5 with better than a coin flip chance of doing so.

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He allowed only one batted ball over 95 MPH, commanding his cutter particularly well in this one.

I think the cutter is the most critical pitch for Povich to take the next step. He’s never had issues getting punch outs, he needs to be able to pitch in the zone without relying too much on his fastball.

It’s also a key weapon against RHP - if you don’t have a true plus breaking ball or fastball that can overcome the platoon splits (which I don’t think Povich does), you can only make it as a LHP SP through the strength of your cutter and changeup, which are more reverse/neutral splits.  His changeup is probably not good enough to carry him on its own, so it’s the cutter that brings the whole pitch mix together.

Not his sharpest outing today. Pretty pitch-inefficient. Gave up a series of pretty soft hits.

Able to grind thru 4 innings (I assume his day is done) w/ solid results: 7 K, 3 H, 1 BB, 1 R, 86 pitches 

Edit: came back out to get 2 outs in the 5th. 94 pitch outing.

Edited by DirtyBird

17 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Not his sharpest outing today. Pretty pitch-inefficient. Gave up a series of pretty soft hits.

Able to grind thru 4 innings (I assume his day is done) w/ solid results: 7 K, 3 H, 1 BB, 1 R, 86 pitches 

Edit: came back out to get 2 outs in the 5th. 94 pitch outing.

Honestly, this almost feels like a positive. Last year an outing like this might have had 4 or 5 walks. Hopefully this indicates a better ability to grind out a start without his best command. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea that’s a lot of pitching.  Only 1 walk but the str% was just under 60%.

You're the gift that keeps on giving.

22 minutes ago, interloper said:

Honestly, this almost feels like a positive. Last year an outing like this might have had 4 or 5 walks. Hopefully this indicates a better ability to grind out a start without his best command. 

That's what it looked like to me as well.  Good observation.  

25 total foul balls against, 11 with 2 strikes.  That's quite a bit in 4.2 innings.

8 minutes ago, HuskerFan said:

You're the gift that keeps on giving.

That's what it looked like to me as well.  Good observation.  

25 total foul balls against, 11 with 2 strikes.  That's quite a bit in 4.2 innings.

You think that wasn’t a lot of pitches and you think a sub 60% str% is good?