Angels series 4/22-24

Frobby

The O’s took the opening series of the year against the Angels 2 games to 1.  Since then, the Angels have gone 8-11, for a 9-13 overall record.  Looks like the pitching matchups will be: 

Suarez (0-0, 0.00 ERA) v. Detmers (3-0, 1.19 ERA)

Rodriguez (3-0, 2.63 ERA) v. Canning (0-3, 8.02 ERA)

Kremer (0-2, 4.91 ERA) Anderson (2-2, 1.42 ERA)

In the earlier series, the O’s knocked Canning around for 5 runs in 5 innings, while Detmer held the O’s to 1 run in 5 innings.  We didn’t see Anderson in that series; he’s made one past start, in 2023, allowing 3 runs in 5 innings.  Rodriguez bested Canning by holding the Angels to 1 run in 6 frames.   The Angels didn’t see Suárez or Kremer.  Kremer does have 3 lifetime starts against the Angels, and is 2-0 with a 1.76 ERA against them in 15.1 IP.

The O’s come into this series scoring 5.85 runs per game, 2nd in MLB, while the Angels score 4.15, 17th.  Mike Trout is doing Mike Trout things (157 OPS+), supported by Taylor Ward (141), Miguel Sano (136) and Logan O’Hoppe (135), but the other starters have been dismal.   And surprise - Anthony Rendon has just gone on the IL.   

The O’s will be facing the Angels’ best two starters so far in Detmers and Anderson, but the Halos’ bullpen has been a soft spot, sporting a 4.81 ERA.  The O’s pen has been shaky, but several notches above the Angels at 4.19.   

Overall, this is a winnable series but our hitters will need to be on their game against the Angels’ two best starters.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

As of the other day, Sano was hitting the ball harder than anyone else in the league.

That's a guy I didn't realize was still in the league until I saw him a few weeks ago.  He barely played for the Twins in 2022 and put up Holliday numbers and then went unsigned last year.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

As of the other day, Sano was hitting the ball harder than anyone else in the league.

Gotta strike him out.   His xWOBACON is .505 - that’s insane.   

Just now, glenn__davis said:

Anderson's ERA is good but his peripherals aren't great.  Not super scared by that ERA.

Detmers has been good though.  Be nice to get some payback on him if we can.

Detmers looks like he might be turning a corner of sorts.  The WHIP is under 1, the K rate looks to have increased some and his statcast savant stuff is mostly in the red.  

Not to get too cocky here but it's the Angels and until further notice, they're always going to be the Angels...which means they'll be mediocre to crappy. 

2/3 is always the goal in any series but anything less and I'd be disappointed.  I think 2/3 here is the must-do goal.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Not to get too cocky here but it's the Angels and until further notice, they're always going to be the Angels...which means they'll be mediocre to crappy. 

2/3 is always the goal in any series but anything less and I'd be disappointed.  I think 2/3 here is the must-do goal.

No question. No idea what we get out of Suarez tonight and like you said, Detmers has been legit good this year, so tonight could be tough but 2 out of 3 should certainly happen.