A philosophical question re offense and defense

Frobby

Suppose you have three players in an organization who play the same position.  Player A is +10 runs on offense but -10 runs on defense.  Player B is -10 runs on offense but +10 runs on defense.  Player C is average on both offense and defense.   Which player would you choose to be on your team? And is your answer different depending on which position we’re talking about?

Apart from your preference, do you think the Orioles have a preference?

For purposes of my questions, no copping out by saying it depends who else is on the team.  

A key variable is how (in)expensive each theoretical player and future years of control.

i think the Os prefer to have mixture of player types, and hope that strategic deployment can have either A, B, or C in exceed their production norms. 

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm going with two mids, a fat and a skinny.

Anyone gets that reference, I'll buy you a beer if I ever see you at Camden Yards.

It's a video game reference. But can't even picture the game.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Suppose you have three players in an organization who play the same position.  Player A is +10 runs on offense but -10 runs on defense.  Player B is -10 runs on offense but +10 runs on defense.  Player C is average on both offense and defense.   Which player would you choose to be on your team? And is your answer different depending on which position we’re talking about?

For purposes of my questions, no copping out by saying it depends who else is on the team.  

1) The answer to which player I would prefer would be heavily dependent on the rest of my roster.

2) Setting it so it is run neutral kind of takes the O's preference out of it.  So long as it is run neutral the O's aren't likely to have a preference.  Saying that, I do believe they value defense highly.

3) And obviously, the Orioles, like many others, value up the middle defense more than corner defense.

2 minutes ago, Daddy-O's said:

I would take the hitter, you can hide the poor defense but you can't hide the hitter.  

And that's why you have pitchers.  Especially if you're targeting K%.

Does he have to play that one position every day?

I'm taking the guy who is +10 on offense, in hopes of finding a position that he won't kill me at whether that's 1B, DH, corner OF, or a combination of the three. 

There are also always late inning defensive replacements. 

My second pick would be the guy who is average in offense and defense and last pick would be Jorge Mateo. 

Edited by ChuckS
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Player A, stick him at DH.

That's easy!