Jump to content

A philosophical question re offense and defense


Frobby

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

What does that have to do with what he posted?    He said great defenders are usually good athletes.  He didn’t say all great athletes are great defenders.

Quote

IMHO defensive prowess at premium positions generally benefits your pitchers to a more significant degree than offensive prowess. So C, CF, SS, 2B are positions that I would be OK with one or two players who profile +10 D/-10 O.

Did you read his whole post?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And the poor glove would have, to an extent, been laughed off if he was a big time bat.

Just personal preference, thats why the thread exists. I don’t want to have to laugh off bad plays.

Im not sure Nelson Cruz would be a fun player to have on your team if he was playing the field every day. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ok. He’d prefer the +10 defensive player at premium positions.   And your point for mentioning Jeter is?

He was a -10 defensive player at a premium position.

Would he not be happy with a Jeter?

It wasn't that hard to figure out what I was talking about if you had stopped and thought for a second.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, oriole said:

Just personal preference, thats why the thread exists. I don’t want to have to laugh off bad plays.

Im not sure Nelson Cruz would be a fun player to have on your team if he was playing the field every day. 

Sure, just saying Stewart isn't that fair an example since you aren't getting the good with the bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm going to cop out to an extent in that an elite CF changes how you look at the OF defense especially RF.  If EBJ hits enough with an 80 D he gets into the gaps and a more stationary RF like Kjerstadt is more palatable.  So to me especially in the OF it's balance between positions but an elite CF such as EBJ (as advertised) changes things.  Good defense makes for good pitching.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He was a -10 defensive player at a premium position.

Would he not be happy with a Jeter?

It wasn't that hard to figure out what I was talking about if you had stopped and thought for a second.

I can read.  Can you?

“IMHO defensive prowess at premium positions generally benefits your pitchers to a more significant degree than offensive prowess.”

He didn’t say he wouldn’t like to have the offensive player.  He said he preferred the defensive player if the overall value was equal.  Pretty easy to understand if you took the long school bus to school.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, just saying Stewart isn't that fair an example since you aren't getting the good with the bad.

Yep, like I said…just using his bonk play as a reference. He will be my example for bad defense until I am dead…or until something else silly and memorable happens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I can read.  Can you?

“IMHO defensive prowess at premium positions generally benefits your pitchers to a more significant degree than offensive prowess.”

He didn’t say he wouldn’t like to have the offensive player.  He said he preferred the defensive player if the overall value was equal.  Pretty easy to understand if you took the long school bus to school.  

Right.

I'll try and use smaller words.

I was asking him if he would take a player like Jeter. 

Jeter was a guy that played baseball for the Yankees who was not good at defense but was good at hitting the ball.

He played Shortstop which is one of the positions he was talking about.

Most folks think Jeter was really good overall even with being bad at defense.

Edited by Can_of_corn
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, oriole said:

Yep, like I said…just using his bonk play as a reference. He will be my example for bad defense until I am dead…or until something else silly and memorable happens.

Markakis pushed a ball over the fence for a homerun since that happened.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Right.

I'll try and use smaller words.

I was asking him if he would take a player like Jeter. 

Jeter was a guy that played baseball for the Yankees who was not good at defense but was good at hitting the ball.

He played Shortstop which is one of the positions he was talking about.

Most folks think Jeter was really good overall even with being bad at defensive.

LOL.  It has nothing to do with his post.  If he had a choice between equal players at SS he’d take the defensive guy over the offensive guy.  He never said he wouldn’t take a superior player if he happened to be an offense first player.    Try and keep up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

LOL.  It has nothing to do with his post.  If he had a choice between equal players at SS he’d take the defensive guy over the offensive guy.  He never said he wouldn’t take a superior player if he happened to be an offense first player.    Try and keep up.

I'm keeping up just fine.

Me and the person I was actually responding to finished the discussion amiably. 

It's just you and your fixation that's still going on.

It's funny, they understood what I meant and yet you felt a need to get involved.

Edited by Can_of_corn
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Birdland in NC said:

I’ll take the average- average guy. As for the O’s, I think it’s obvious that if a player can’t play above average defense, he’s not gonna be on the MLB club for long.

Do you think O'Hearn is an above average defender?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm keeping up just fine.

Me and the person I was actually responding to finished the discussion amiably. 

It's just you and your fixation that's still going on.

It's funny, they understood what I meant and yet you felt a need to get involved.

Now that you realize that your post was a senseless nitpick that had nothing to do with what he said I can move on too.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Posts

    • He’s made 7 at 3B in 37 games.  Not great.  Meanwhile you hope Holliday who’s made 10 errors in 38 games at 2B is up sometime this year.
    • Hays is not a plus LF.  Urias is not a plus 3B.   The biggest difference in defense is probably between Cowser and Kjerstad in LF.    You just talked about pitchers struggling and defense.  If that’s the case you don’t replace Cowser with Kjerstad in LF.
    • Are we talking about Norby at 2B or LF?   He’s not going to be playing everyday at either spot and probably hardly at all at 2B.   I honestly don’t know how he is in LF.  He looked fine the few times I’ve watched Norfolk games and Tony seems to agree.   He was always an “average at best” or “offensive 2B” but no one ever called him a liability there. I don’t ignore the struggles of Holliday.  I also don’t ignore the improvements of Rutschman, Henderson, Westburg after an initial adjustment period.  Cowser seems to still be going through it.  If you want the best team come October you can stick with what you know with Urias and Hays.   I’d rather take my chances with Mayo and Norby. As far as depth, I’ve got Westburg, Mateo, and Norby at 2B with Holliday at Norfolk.   At 3B I got Mayo and Westburg.   In LF I got Cowser, Kjerstad, Norby with Billy Cook at Norfolk.   Are worried about not having three 3B?
    • I think the timing for Kjerstad coming up is understandable.  Cowser has struggled for a pretty long time and doesn’t have the track record of hitting in the past at the major league level like Hays and Mullins.  However they aren’t going to litter the whole lineup with Kjersted, Mayo, and Norby at the same time because they are all below average defensive players.  At least not right now.  You don’t solve a diminished pitching staff hit with injuries by making the defense around them significantly worse.  
    • I don’t care if he can be average. He isn’t now.    The kid has made 10 errors in 45 starts on the dirt. 
    • I’m against him being up if he rides the pine. I’m assuming he plays.     
    • If Norby has a good glove you don’t think his prospect status would be higher? Why aren’t teams clamoring for the kid? You are real down on Hays and you are entitled to your opinion but the guy was a starter in the ASG last year.    Mayo is a bat first player with super upside.    It is June 24 and a long way to go. Who knows about injuries. Why weaken your depth?   The team leads in the AL in runs scored. You talk about the kids ignoring the struggles of Holliday earlier in the year. Santander may be gone next year. Urias could be. I don’t care about next year. Their time will come. 
  • Popular Contributors

  • Popular Now

×
×
  • Create New...