A philosophical question re offense and defense

Frobby

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

What does that have to do with what he posted?    He said great defenders are usually good athletes.  He didn’t say all great athletes are great defenders.

IMHO defensive prowess at premium positions generally benefits your pitchers to a more significant degree than offensive prowess. So C, CF, SS, 2B are positions that I would be OK with one or two players who profile +10 D/-10 O.

Did you read his whole post?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Did you read his whole post?

Ok. He’d prefer the +10 defensive player at premium positions.   And your point for mentioning Jeter is?

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And the poor glove would have, to an extent, been laughed off if he was a big time bat.

Just personal preference, thats why the thread exists. I don’t want to have to laugh off bad plays.

Im not sure Nelson Cruz would be a fun player to have on your team if he was playing the field every day. 

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ok. He’d prefer the +10 defensive player at premium positions.   And your point for mentioning Jeter is?

He was a -10 defensive player at a premium position.

Would he not be happy with a Jeter?

It wasn't that hard to figure out what I was talking about if you had stopped and thought for a second.

• Haha 1

Just now, oriole said:

Just personal preference, thats why the thread exists. I don’t want to have to laugh off bad plays.

Im not sure Nelson Cruz would be a fun player to have on your team if he was playing the field every day. 

Sure, just saying Stewart isn't that fair an example since you aren't getting the good with the bad.

I'm going to cop out to an extent in that an elite CF changes how you look at the OF defense especially RF.  If EBJ hits enough with an 80 D he gets into the gaps and a more stationary RF like Kjerstadt is more palatable.  So to me especially in the OF it's balance between positions but an elite CF such as EBJ (as advertised) changes things.  Good defense makes for good pitching.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He was a -10 defensive player at a premium position.

Would he not be happy with a Jeter?

It wasn't that hard to figure out what I was talking about if you had stopped and thought for a second.

I can read.  Can you?

“IMHO defensive prowess at premium positions generally benefits your pitchers to a more significant degree than offensive prowess.”

He didn’t say he wouldn’t like to have the offensive player.  He said he preferred the defensive player if the overall value was equal.  Pretty easy to understand if you took the long school bus to school.  

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, just saying Stewart isn't that fair an example since you aren't getting the good with the bad.

Yep, like I said…just using his bonk play as a reference. He will be my example for bad defense until I am dead…or until something else silly and memorable happens.

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I can read.  Can you?

“IMHO defensive prowess at premium positions generally benefits your pitchers to a more significant degree than offensive prowess.”

He didn’t say he wouldn’t like to have the offensive player.  He said he preferred the defensive player if the overall value was equal.  Pretty easy to understand if you took the long school bus to school.  

Right.

I'll try and use smaller words.

I was asking him if he would take a player like Jeter. 

Jeter was a guy that played baseball for the Yankees who was not good at defense but was good at hitting the ball.

He played Shortstop which is one of the positions he was talking about.

Most folks think Jeter was really good overall even with being bad at defense.

Edited by Can_of_corn

1 minute ago, oriole said:

Yep, like I said…just using his bonk play as a reference. He will be my example for bad defense until I am dead…or until something else silly and memorable happens.

Markakis pushed a ball over the fence for a homerun since that happened.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Right.

I'll try and use smaller words.

I was asking him if he would take a player like Jeter. 

Jeter was a guy that played baseball for the Yankees who was not good at defense but was good at hitting the ball.

He played Shortstop which is one of the positions he was talking about.

Most folks think Jeter was really good overall even with being bad at defensive.

LOL.  It has nothing to do with his post.  If he had a choice between equal players at SS he’d take the defensive guy over the offensive guy.  He never said he wouldn’t take a superior player if he happened to be an offense first player.    Try and keep up.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

LOL.  It has nothing to do with his post.  If he had a choice between equal players at SS he’d take the defensive guy over the offensive guy.  He never said he wouldn’t take a superior player if he happened to be an offense first player.    Try and keep up.

I'm keeping up just fine.

Me and the person I was actually responding to finished the discussion amiably. 

It's just you and your fixation that's still going on.

It's funny, they understood what I meant and yet you felt a need to get involved.

Edited by Can_of_corn

1 minute ago, Birdland in NC said:

I’ll take the average- average guy. As for the O’s, I think it’s obvious that if a player can’t play above average defense, he’s not gonna be on the MLB club for long.

Do you think O'Hearn is an above average defender?

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm keeping up just fine.

Me and the person I was actually responding to finished the discussion amiably. 

It's just you and your fixation that's still going on.

It's funny, they understood what I meant and yet you felt a need to get involved.

Now that you realize that your post was a senseless nitpick that had nothing to do with what he said I can move on too.