Who was worse…JLC or Rosenthal?

7 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Luis Robert, when healthy, is a likely impact player and former GG in CF.  The 26-year old however, has had injuries throughout his career, and is starting rehab just now to begin his return to action for the White Sox.  Even so, he'd be the best and most realistically available trade target the O's could hope for, IMHO. 

The right-handed hitting Robert is under contract through '25, holding $20 million team options with $2 million buyouts for '26 and '27.  So, if you take the risk on greatness, you could have the 2023 All Star for three more seasons beyond this one.  Acquiring players in their prime is rare, but under these circumstances, it is doable.

What to give up is the highly debatable question.  If Elias were to entertain the possibility, it would likely be after Robert returns and shows he's healthy and performing well.  So, I'm guessing the trade deadline.  

Robert doesn't strike me as a player Elias would seek out. A guy who's basically never been healthy who we'd have to pay 20 million a year?

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, G54377 said:

Robert doesn't strike me as a player Elias would seek out. A guy who's basically never been healthy who we'd have to pay 20 million a year?

He's making $12.5 this year and $15 million next season. He'll make $20 million in 2026 & 2027, as a team option.  That's not chump change.  Again, a risky option to acquire him, though if he doesn't perform, we can let him walk after next season.

Edited by Greg Pappas

16 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

FWIW I do believe the White Sox are motivated to move him, as they're in a rebuild.

I'm sure they are, he's their best player. The issue is and remains that in 5 years, he's only played in 100+ games one time.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

FWIW I do believe the White Sox are motivated to move him, as they're in a rebuild.

So you likely wouldn’t have to  include Holliday anyway.

So how about Bradfield, Baumeister, and a DSL guy or two. If you can get his health on track it would be a homerun. If not you can live with the trade. My concern after the offseason rumors about their starter was his expectations weren’t/aren’t realistic.

19 minutes ago, Malike said:

I'm sure they are, he's their best player. The issue is and remains that in 5 years, he's only played in 100+ games one time.

So the report from the tribune 2 days ago says they are expected to hang onto him.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

So the report from the tribune 2 days ago says they are expected to hang onto him.

That wouldn't surprise me for two reasons. They are an inept org and they probably want to see what he can do the rest of the year and maybe bank on moving him in the off-season. His injury was pretty substantial so they would be selling low right now. They could have gotten a nice haul during the off-season last year if they moved him coming off the season he did I think.

22 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Jason La Canfora is in a class of his own when it comes to the all time jackwagons of Baltimore sports media. Nestor is the only one I can think of who rivals La Canfora in being so off putting.

I have zero Idea who Jason La Canfora is....and I think I'll survive.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Are there comparable players with a little less upside and control and a better health who are reasonable OF targets for the O's?

Not really.  The only other guy of interest to me is Angels RF/CF Jo Adell, and the 25-year old may finally be putting it all together this year after being considered by many a failed former #4 overall (2020) prospect.  His defense, though, is questionable.  His speed, arm, power, and athleticism are not questionable. 

2 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Not really.  The only other guy of interest to me is Angels RF/CF Jo Adell, and the 25-year old may finally be putting it all together this year after being considered by many a failed former #4 overall (2020) prospect.  His defense, though, is questionable.  His speed, arm, power, and athleticism are not questionable. 

@Moose Milligan is a big Adell fan.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Malike said:

He is a scary injury risk, no doubt.  He seems similar to Austin Hays... always hurt.  

Here's the full list of injuries Robert Jr. has suffered throughout his first five major league seasons:

Hand — Aug. 18, 2020
Illness — April 27, 2021
Hip — May 2, 2021
Groin — April 21, 2022
COVID-19 — May 24, 2022
Illness — July 15, 2022
Wrist — Aug. 12, 2022
Hand/Wrist — Sept. 15, 2022
Wrist — Sept. 24, 2022
Hamstring — April 29, 2023
Hip — May 23, 2023
Calf — July 10, 2023
Finger — Aug. 9 2023
Quad — Sept. 2, 2023
Knee — Sept. 24, 2023
Hip — April 5, 2024

The upside is immense, but parting with Holliday is highly unlikely, as it should be.  The White Sox may not get the return they want.  What I'd give up is a tough consideration.  Was thinking Kjerstad, but perhaps a more reasonable offer would be something akin to Beavers, McDermott, and Willems.

Edited by Greg Pappas

15 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Robert has a .741 OPS and a -0.1 WAR and is on the IL again, surprise, surprise.  White Sox will be lucky to get 2 top 100 prospects that are near bottom of that 100.  No chance a smart GM would part with one of the top prospects for this guy, but it only takes 1 dummy.

Remember when OH consensus (or at least a plurality) opinion was that we should deal Machado+ for Chase Headley?

I did a Google search of Jason La Canfora to see what he looked like. Based on what I read on here, he's a blowhard and jack leg. I was kind of hoping the photo was of the guy I was sitting next to on row 2 in Section 336 on Saturday vs. Diamondbacks. He was opinionated, obnoxious, loud, and argumentative with nearly everything we talked about. He was a young guy, maybe mid to late 20s, a bushy beard, dark hair, and wearing  a LOT of Orioles gear (socks, color-coordinated shoes, white O's jacket, and some specialty O's cap I didn't recognize). He said he had worked at 98 rock until last year. We got into a heated discussion about my proposal to move the main scoreboard in the offseason to the Hilton side behind the statue park,  as part of the 600 million dollars of upgrades,  and also so that the historic Camden Station could be seen from all of the seats. He was just relentless. I wanted to throw him over the rail. 

After seeing his pic, I realize hit's not him, but I wonder who it was? He says he works for a high school now. He's not on OH, as I asked him. 

My parting words were, "well, if they decided to do that, you can say you heard it first from an asshole sitting next to you on May 11th, 2024." My wife just snickered when she heard that. 

• Haha 1