Bullpen usage

1 minute ago, Spy Fox said:

It's definitely sometimes a complaint.

Even I have been known to complain about it at times.  But I can’t really say our bullpen would have had better results if Hyde used guys in longer appearances more often.  No way to know. 

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

It has absolutely been a complaint. I would say bullpen management is the most common criticism of Hyde. 

And 90% of all managers. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Even I have been known to complain about it at times.  But I can’t really say our bullpen would have had better results if Hyde used guys in longer appearances more often.  No way to know. 

A different way to answer your question would have been, the observers have observed about it and the complainers have complained about it! 

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

It has absolutely been a complaint. I would say bullpen management is the most common criticism of Hyde. 

But again as others have said it's probably organizational.  I'm not in the know but I doubt it can mostly be pinned on Hyde. 

The bigger issue with the bullpen is more that we need one or two better pitchers than we currently got.

4 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

Elias should get Hyde better bullpen pieces to help Hyde's strategy.

Yohan Ramirez just got the Yankees out in the 11th, if only we had a guy like him!

19 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Not sure, but some front office guys somewhere might know. 

My first guess would be that IP is more important, competitive in-game pitches being the biggest possible burden on an arm. But that if one guy threw 80 IP over 80 appearances, he maybe earned a bit more wear & tear compared to the same guy throwing 80 IP over 60 appearances. More times warming up, fewer full rest days for the guy who appears in more games. 

I have leaned more to the appearances philosophy. Just the stress of getting up, pitching a MLB pitch, doing it again a day or two later,  etc. seems the rub. Once you are warm and pitching  does 2O more make much of a difference? But I suspect I am wrong and Sig has data to convince me! Also, maybe this is much more about what makes a starter last?

I wonder if Povich is going back soon to give us an eighth reliever or if he comes out of the pen or if we go with six starters until the off day.

I think our bullpen has been a lot better than most of our fans seem to believe. The numbers also show our relievers aren't being overused as seems to be popular opinion. It's been pretty amazing how few starts we've had this year of four innings or less. I often wonder, but haven't had time to research, how many teams really have 7-8 relief pitchers better than our group. Are there really any teams with no weak links in the pen.

39 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I wonder if Povich is going back soon to give us an eighth reliever or if he comes out of the pen or if we go with six starters until the off day.

I think the plan will be, Povich starts on June 12 and is returned to the minors the following day, replaced by a bullpen guy.   Then Kremer activated sometime after the off-day.

So we are 7th in MLB in starters innings.   Yet we are 3rd in MLB in relievers used per game, behind only Cleveland and San Francisco.  And both those teams' starters don't last as long, on average, as ours.

So what does all that mean?   We use a lot of relievers and we use them for shorter periods.   Our ratio of bullpen innings to appearances is about 1.02, I think it is the second lowest in MLB.  Numerous times Hyde has had a guy finish an inning and get an out and then go to someone else the next inning.

I *think* (this is just eye test) that Hyde has been getting better than this the last month or so, letting guys go more than one inning so we just have one guy who might be tired the next day instead of two.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, SteveA said:

So we are 7th in MLB in starters innings.   Yet we are 3rd in MLB in relievers used per game, behind only Cleveland and San Francisco.  And both those teams' starters don't last as long, on average, as ours.

So what does all that mean?   We use a lot of relievers and we use them for shorter periods.   Our ratio of bullpen innings to appearances is about 1.02, I think it is the second lowest in MLB.  Numerous times Hyde has had a guy finish an inning and get an out and then go to someone else the next inning.

I *think* (this is just eye test) that Hyde has been getting better than this the last month or so, letting guys go more than one inning so we just have one guy who might be tired the next day instead of two.

Makes sense. Hyde acts like he gets paid by the pitching change.