Crochet trade proposal

8 minutes ago, Malike said:

Yes, he's going to command a top 100 prospect, we have 3 of them and he's going to command a ML ready guy with a lot of control, we have a lot of those.

Which is why he won’t be traded.

The bottom line is that there just aren’t many teams that can do this even if they want to, as Hallas talked about.

45 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

In talking to Os fans and fans of other teams, I think a lot of people completely overlook the importance of these cheap, cost controlled years and just how much that’s worth to teams.

I might consider this deal for Crochet because the reward is so high, even if it costs Kjerstad BUT it’s a huge risk and one that isn’t some slam dunk thought as some make it out to be.

Cheap, cost controlled years are important but so is elite pitching.  Elias stockpiled hitting prospects knowing he wouldn't have to deal with the same depletion of pitching prospects.  The O's need to get elite pitching from somewhere.  Since I don't see the O's signing $40 mill/yr starters, I guess it will be trades, and that's where the O's got Bradish (a steal) and Burnes (a fair trade).  Now the O's have to pay market rates for a elite arm and they'll still be far ahead in hitting talent vs drafting pitching talent and dealing with all the injuries.

28 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Which is why he won’t be traded.

The bottom line is that there just aren’t many teams that can do this even if they want to, as Hallas talked about.

I don't disagree with the second point, but there are still some teams who can buy any players and sign premier IFA who make dumb decisions and might give up the farm.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Malike said:

I don't disagree with the second point, but there are still some teams who can buy any players and sign premier IFA who make dumb decisions and might give up the farm.

But what teams and who are they giving up?  The dodgers have 2 top 100 guys according to MLB.com (worst rating but at least some reference point) and one is barely in the top 50. You may trade both for Kjerstad.

Yankees?  Are they trading Jones and Dominguez?  They have said they aren’t trading either.

There are certainly teams that can do it..but will anyone?  I tend to think no.  Seattle is the most likely for me, if they want to use assets for pitching.

Edited by Sports Guy

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

In talking to Os fans and fans of other teams, I think a lot of people completely overlook the importance of these cheap, cost controlled years and just how much that’s worth to teams.

I might consider this deal for Crochet because the reward is so high, even if it costs Kjerstad BUT it’s a huge risk and one that isn’t some slam dunk thought as some make it out to be.

I was going to write a long post about why Crochet should be a slam dunk but I was under the impression that Crochet had team control for more than 2 more years.  With 3-4 years of control the deal is a slam dunk but I tend to agree that 2.5 years of Crochet is a bit of a harder sell for 6+ of Silent Jay.  I still do it but it certainly limits my willingness to give up anyone higher than that.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

But what teams and who are they giving up?  The dodgers have 2 top 100 guys according to MLB.com (worst rating but at least some reference point) and one is barely in the top 50. You may trade both for Kjerstad.

Yankees?  Are they trading Jones and Dominguez?  They have said they aren’t trading either.

There are certainly teams that can do it..but will anyone?  I tend to think no.  Seattle is the most likely for me, if they want to use assets for pitching.

I don't think it happens because he pitched 12 innings last year and the CWS basically killed themselves the way they've used him, rendering him likely unavailable for a stretch run. If they do the right thing and trade him in the offseason he's going to command a big package.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Seattle, Twins, and Brewers I think are most likely.  They all have multiple prospects in the top-30ish.  But Seattle doesn't really need pitchers.  So that leaves the Twins and Brewers.

Edited by Hallas

11 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Seattle, Twins, and Brewers I think are most likely.  They all have multiple prospects in the top-30ish.  But Seattle doesn't really need pitchers.  So that leaves the Twins and Brewers.

But will either of them do it?  Do the Twins and WS make a trade like that in the division?

Does Milwaukee, who you are right is a legit target there, want to take that risk and give up some of the stud prospects everyone seems to love?  Do they think they are that one pitcher away?

They make sense but they also don’t, if that makes any sense at all.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

But will either of them do it?  Do the Twins and WS make a trade like that in the division?

Does Milwaukee, who you are right is a legit target there, want to take that risk and give up some of the stud prospects everyone seems to love?  Do they think they are that one pitcher away?

They've used 16 starters this season but I personally don't believe Crochet is making 10-12 starts after the ASB so I doubt they do it.

7 minutes ago, Malike said:

They've used 16 starters this season but I personally don't believe Crochet is making 10-12 starts after the ASB so I doubt they do it.

Yea, they make a lot of sense as a team that needs a starter, is in first place and likely to make the playoffs.

But is he a starter this year going forward?  Are they an arm away?

I tend to think they don’t give up what it takes. 

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think the Twins as a little less likely as well, because as you pointed out they're in-division, and secondly they have more holes they eventually need to backfill cheaply because they actually made some free agent signings.  The Brewers are pretty stacked and I could see them making the trade.  Their window is not going to last forever.  That division is fairly competitive and I don't think you can bank on the Cubs, Cards, and Reds being bad long-term.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea, they make a lot of sense as a team that needs a starter, is in first place and likely to make the playoffs.

But is he a starter this year going forward?  Are they an arm away?

I tend to think they don’t give up what it takes. 

I think the possibility is about nil. If Crochet pitched 120 or so innings last year, I think they might push the chips in with Woodruff coming back next year.

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

There's always San Diego, even if it makes no sense for them, Preller can't resist.

11 hours ago, Malike said:

Listening to the media and fans is usually the dumbest thing owners can do.

Elias drafted all these bats for a reason. This is the position he wanted to be in. A really good team that has a lot of bats to buy pitching for the postseason.

The price might make him uncomfortable, but this is the situation he was ready for.