Excellent Meoli article on Zach Fruit's deveopment

Frobby

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Thanks for posting this.  Saw this referenced on twitter but haven’t read it yet because I stupidly went down the rabbit hole of arguing with an awful Os fan.

I got a cheap 6 months/$6 subscription to the Banner, and really like their Orioles coverage and especially Meoli’s minor league and developmental stuff.  Honestly, I don’t read it as often as I should.  

It's interesting, I've seen multiple references now about the Orioles becoming a pitching factory in terms of development.  We've yet to see the fruits of that at the MLB level.  I think the next 2-3 years will tell a lot about where we're at there.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

It's interesting, I've seen multiple references now about the Orioles becoming a pitching factory in terms of development.  We've yet to see the fruits of that at the MLB level.  I think the next 2-3 years will tell a lot about where we're at there.

We did a pretty good job getting Bradish to near Ace level.  Voth and Watkins for a bit.  The waiver wire relievers as well.  We didn't draft pitching for a bit so we've really only had this season to see what they were targetting in the draft and how they were developing it.  Forret and Fruit are good examples so far.  

24 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It's been 5 drafts, coming up on their 6th, and they not only have never drafted and developed a pitcher yet, they don't have one in the top ten of their prospects. 

I know it's not popular to question the Orioles on here, but the results matter, not words. Holt, Elias and his scouts can start spiking footballs and celebrating when their system of identifying and developing pitchers bears fruits at the major league level.

Call me unimpressed at this point and a fluff piece on a 24-year old guy, with a 3.90 ERA in High-A ball, who right-handers slash .285/.356/.486/.842 against, is not going to change my mind. 

Forrett now is a guy with some impressive pitches, youth, and ability that could be something to get "excited" over.

The facts are this, the Orioles have shown zero ability to identify and/or develop impact pitching talent in 5-years of drafting. I mean, not even a reliever of use. Nothing, nada. Their best pitching prospects at the upper levels are guys they traded for.

Whatever system they are using needs to be scrapped or at the very least, re-evaluated. 

100 percent agree. Reminds me under the end of MacPhail and throughout Duquette era where we were developing hitters that couldn’t get on base. It is interesting to see the Astros pitching help came through trades and international guys. Garcia, Framber, Javier, Bryan Abreu. 

3 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

I figured this year would be a bit of a coming out party for our pitcher development.  Not at the MLB level but on the national prospect media cred-o-meter. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

It's been 5 drafts, coming up on their 6th, and they not only have never drafted and developed a pitcher yet, they don't have one in the top ten of their prospects. 

I know it's not popular to question the Orioles on here, but the results matter, not words. Holt, Elias and his scouts can start spiking footballs and celebrating when their system of identifying and developing pitchers bears fruits at the major league level.

Call me unimpressed at this point and a fluff piece on a 24-year old guy, with a 3.90 ERA in High-A ball, who right-handers slash .285/.356/.486/.842 against, is not going to change my mind. 

Forrett now is a guy with some impressive pitches, youth, and ability that could be something to get "excited" over.

The facts are this, the Orioles have shown zero ability to identify and/or develop impact pitching talent in 5-years of drafting. I mean, not even a reliever of use. Nothing, nada. Their best pitching prospects at the upper levels are guys they traded for.

Whatever system they are using needs to be scrapped or at the very least, re-evaluated. 

A bit of a counter is having 3 #1 (a/b/c) in the org.  Povich (at least) would be top 10 in most orgs.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

To be fair, last year was the first time they really drafted many pitchers in the first 10 rounds.

2019 - none until 8th round 

2020 -only Baumler, who got hurt

2021 - only Tavera before 11th tound

2022 - couldn’t sign McLean, highest signee was Bright (5th round).  Did also take pitchers in rounds 7, 8, 10.

2023 - much heavier on pitching

Now, you could say that (1) deferring on picking pitchers was a bad strategy, or (2) they claim they can get pitchers with the traits they like in the later rounds, but where’s the proof?  Those are defensible points, but given the overall success of the team (including above average pitching the last two years), I’m certainly not ready to say the strategy was wrong.  As to proof they can succeed with guys picked in lower rounds, I agree it’s not there yet.  But I’ve seen some outside observers (Longenhagen, Sarris) who seem to think they’re headed in a good direction.  So, I’ll be patient.   It stands to reason that guys picked in later rounds may take longer to develop than early round picks.  

• Upvote 3