Who starts the first playoff game?

OrioleintheATL

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

No one has said this. 

What do you think happens to SP4 through the first couple rounds of the playoffs?

Anyone who is saying Eflin, G-Rod, Suarez as SP1-SP3 is implicitly saying Burnes starts the playoffs pitching out of the pen (if that). Maybe he grabs a start in the ALCS if we get desperate. That’s what SP4 in the playoff rotation means.

28 minutes ago, e16bball said:

What do you think happens to SP4 through the first couple rounds of the playoffs?

Anyone who is saying Eflin, G-Rod, Suarez as SP1-SP3 is implicitly saying Burnes starts the playoffs pitching out of the pen (if that). Maybe he grabs a start in the ALCS if we get desperate. That’s what SP4 in the playoff rotation means.

Maybe I missed it, but I haven’t seen anyone say that. I’m going Eflin, Suarez, Burnes. Depends on how they’re all throwing in a few weeks, too.   So it’s subject to change.

I don’t trust G-rods injury. 

Edited by Moose Milligan

Burnes wasn't great today but did limit the damage. Had some lucky hits and poor defense. Got his electric stuff going in the 5th. His velocity is there. 

At the end of the day both Burnes and Eflin will pitch twice in a seven game series, it doesn't really matter who is 1 or 2. Only way Burnes drops to 3-4 or out of the rotation is if he is hurt.

3 hours ago, oriolefan1035 said:

This is such a contrarian exercise undermining Corbin Burnes total body of work. It’s easily Corbin Burnes. Also the only one of our guys who has solid post-season numbers on his resume. He’s been in a rut lately, but the velocity and spin rates are still there. He’ll be fine, and he’s starting game 1 with Eflin behind him for game 2.

Pitching is about more than velocity and spin rate. Burnes’ lack of command today meant he had to throw 89 pitches (53 strikes) to get through 5 innings against a AAA lineup. If any of his last five starts had been game 1 of a playoff series we’d have almost certainly been down 0-1 in that series. Now, Burnes may regain his command between now and October, but if he doesn’t then he shouldn’t be our game 1 starter. 

If things keep trending the way that they are it should definitely be Eflin. The stolen bases that Burnes allows would be more exacerbated in the playoffs. Burnes has allowed 38 stolen bases this season and there has been 5 against Eflin. 

Unless he makes a dramatic turnaround this month or GRod can’t go (or isn’t effective upon his return), I’m going with Eflin, Suarez, GRod.  

What he’s done in the past doesn’t mean much to me if he ends the season ineffective for 2 months.   Go with your hottest players with momentum 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, phxosfan said:

If things keep trending the way that they are it should definitely be Eflin. The stolen bases that Burnes allows would be more exacerbated in the playoffs. Burnes has allowed 38 stolen bases this season and there has been 5 against Eflin. 

Wait until we end up playing KC

5 minutes ago, Wavetrapper said:

Unless he makes a dramatic turnaround this month or GRod can’t go (or isn’t effective upon his return), I’m going with Eflin, Suarez, GRod.  

What he’s done in the past doesn’t mean much to me if he ends the season ineffective for 2 months.   Go with your hottest players with momentum 

Burnes allowed 3 homers in his playoff start last year. Does it really matter that he was good in the playoffs in 2018 and 2021?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• It’s not like catcher where we always have a taxi squad guy.  We only have other players on taxi squad when there is a concern with a specific player. For instance, we had Daniel Johnson when Mullins and Mountcastle were banged up. That being said, if Cano was definitely hurt they would have already made a move.
    • I've seen it multiple times on ground balls with Jimenez and Slater. I believe it was Jimenez last night. My favorite part about this team might be Gunnar's hustle out of the box. He puts pressure on teams. Did so a couple of days ago on a routine grounder to 2nd. Cowser won a game by beating out a play at first a couple of weeks ago. Then new guys came in and it's like they brought their culture. I could be reading too much into it, but I need a manager to step up and shut that down. 
    • And I said this before but I'll say it again.  IF they were to move on from Hyde, it would be Buck Britton, and I don't think there would even be a search beyond him.  I thought Gunnar picking him for his HR Derby pitcher spoke volumes about the respect these more recent AAA guys have for Buck. How many played for him down in Norfolk, at least for a bit (some for a good while)?  Gunnar, Cowser, Adley, Holliday, Mayo, Westburg, Kjerstad, Basallo (since we're talking next year, that's possibly relevant), several pitchers.  Its the core of the team.  It would be the only move that I could see MAYBE happening - Hyde for Britton.  But I still doubt that very much.
    • He did pitch pretty well for us early on but man oh man did he drop off a cliff. Wish the guy nothing but the best.
    • If Mayo - who was a butcher at 1B in the minors this season -  can play 1B, then so can Kjerstad. And for the record, I'm fine occasionally playing Mayo at 1B, although I want Mayo to play over Jimenez at DH and Rivera at 3B.
    • @Sports Guyis right, its very clearly the injuries.  And as he's alluded, that manifests itself in more ways than just 'this guy isn't here now and his replacement kinda sucks'.  It also plays out with guys getting more AB's than they normally would and getting exposed, so their overall performance is affected as a result.  O'hearn is the obvious example - he had almost none of his AB's vs lefties in the first half, and has had many in the second because there's no one else to play 1B other than Rivera, and he has to play third because Mayo has been so bad and Urias is not available.  So that's the Urias/Westie/RMC injuries affecting O'hearn, maybe significantly so.  How much better would Holliday look if they were able to pick spots to sit him while Urias, Mateo, or Westburg played second?  So that's the Urias/Westie/Mateo injuries affecting Holliday.  Maybe Gunnar even gets a couple of extra days off w/ Westburg or Holliday taking a day at short.  And this is before you even factor in the defensive decline we've seen at second and short - is that affecting Gunnar's D?  Even if it isn't, its definitely affecting the pitchers, and the win column - look no further than game 3 in Boston last week to see that.  If Mateo is on the field, that game ends 3-2 Birds, I'm convinced of that. The one major thing that the injuries simply cannot explain away is Adley's cliff jump.  IF that isn't an injury itself - and they've insisted multiple times that it isn't - then I got nothing to explain what's gone on w/ him.
    • I know that you may have just chose the wrong term but it wasn't an opt out. That's when the player can terminate a deal "early." It was a buy out. Which the team pays for not exercising the player's (team) option. 
  • Popular Contributors