M's Trade

elsid

I don't understand this trade at all.

I thought Seattle had turned into sellers, yet they acquire Wilson.

This almost looks like a buy for this year but even more so for next year move. The Mariners have quite a few impending FA's.

I don't think they're done dealing, either.

I'm curious to see the reaction on USSMariner but it's down. Not surprising, imagine what would happen here. ;)

This is a pretty nice haul of talent for Pittsburgh. Staying with a cost-effective roster, they get a nice C/1B in Jeff Clement, a former 3rd overall pick in 2005 who can hit for average and power and be a nice backup to Doumit. In addition, Cedeno is an average SS who's cheaper and less productive than Wilson was.

The three pitchers are all around A-ball level, but include two 5th rounders, one from 2006 and one from 2008 as well as a third rounder from 2008.

This is a pretty nice haul of talent for Pittsburgh. Staying with a cost-effective roster, they get a nice C/1B in Jeff Clement, a former 3rd overall pick in 2005 who can hit for average and power and be a nice backup to Doumit. In addition, Cedeno is an average SS who's cheaper and less productive than Wilson was.

The three pitchers are all around A-ball level, but include two 5th rounders, one from 2006 and one from 2008 as well as a third rounder from 2008.

Yeah, USSMariner finally loaded and Dave Cameron thinks the M's overpaid for Snell. He wrote about it on FanGraphs, but now that won't load either. :laughlol:

The Mariners also moved Wlad Balentien to the Reds for Robert Manuel, a right handed relief pitcher.

Ouch.

What happened there? :eek:

I haven't kept up with Balentien but wasn't he supposed to be one of their top prospects, comparable to A. Jones? :confused: Thought he was still pretty young too.

Ouch.

What happened there? :eek:

I haven't kept up with Balentien but wasn't he supposed to be one of their top prospects, comparable to A. Jones? :confused: Thought he was still pretty young too.

He's 24, and has a .619 OPS in about a season's worth of MLB at bats. Seems to be a corner outfielder, or that's where he's mainly playing. Pretty awful K/BB numbers.

His AAA numbers look pretty good, but it is the PCL. He was pretty much the same hitter at Tacoma last year as The New Oscar Salazar (Victor Diaz).

Archived