Seiler Quick Review

Not sure of the summary here of "lots of guys not rated". Most of those guys were taken after the 11th round and are organizational filler.

The guys taken in the top 10 rounds appear to have gone generally where Seiler expected (Mummey, Narron, Anderson, Sawyer) or the Os received good value in guys who slipped (Shrader, Bywater). Bridwell is a pick that seems to have stumped many folks.

Seiler really likes Dan Klein and thought Klein could go in the supplemental first.

Seiler seems to confirm our "signability" guy to throw $ at is Austin Urban - our 27th rounder headed to Penn State.

Not sure of the summary here of "lots of guys not rated". Most of those guys were taken after the 11th round and are organizational filler.

The guys taken in the top 10 rounds appear to have gone generally where Seiler expected (Mummey, Narron, Anderson, Sawyer) or the Os received good value in guys who slipped (Shrader, Bywater). Bridwell is a pick that seems to have stumped many folks.

Seiler really likes Dan Klein and thought Klein could go in the supplemental first.

Seiler seems to confirm our "signability" guy to throw $ at is Austin Urban - our 27th rounder headed to Penn State.

I agree, but there are some other good ones too. Bywater and Klein are tremendous picks. I also really like Anderson as far as collegiate arms...

Sawyer reminds me a bit of Ohlman based off reports. I also like Bridwell, Vader and Gonzalez. I left all my notes at work, but all 3 of these guys are projectable...To me Gonzalez seems to have a lot of the same qualities Wirsch has

As for the tougher signs, Urban, Esquivel and Narron all intrigue me.

This draft is much much safer than the 09 draft already while not seeming to sacrifice much upside. We strayed from the guys whose stock dropped due to injury(go figure). IMO this draft trumps 09, but we still have another set of rounds where we will draft more "unsignable" guys like Coffey and Webb were supposed to be last year.

I REALLY like Klein and Bywater as sleepers.......

I don't see how Alexander Gonzalez is anything like Aaron Wirsch. Gonzalez is 6'2", right-handed, and according to Seiler, has limited upside. Wirsch is 6'7", left-handed, and still has a chance to round out his repertoire. The only similarities are that both could profile as back end rotation guys and they both may develop 3 above average pitches. JMO.

I don't see how Alexander Gonzalez is anything like Aaron Wirsch. Gonzalez is 6'2", right-handed, and according to Seiler, has limited upside. Wirsch is 6'7", left-handed, and still has a chance to round out his repertoire. The only similarities are that both could profile as back end rotation guys and they both may develop 3 above average pitches. JMO.

Andy Seiler said Wirsch was a head scratcher at the time first off. Gonzalez has physical projection left and both his curve and changeup are a tick above average with good command.

IMO Wirsch profiles as a mid rotation guy atleast. Gonzalez can too, but I want to actually see him before sticking a ceiling on him. When you project someone, you incorporate their physical projection, you can be 6'2 and have projection, but I doubt he will add as much velo as Wirsch will. I just am a bit curious how Seiler can slap a 5th starter at best tag on him when he is projectable with solid developing secondaries....

And what back end starters do you know that have 3 above average pitches AND plus command?

Furthermore, Wirsch projects to have plus secondaries.

Andy Seiler said Wirsch was a head scratcher at the time first off. Gonzalez has physical projection left and both his curve and changeup are a tick above average with good command.

IMO Wirsch profiles as a mid rotation guy atleast. Gonzalez can too, but I want to actually see him before sticking a ceiling on him. When you project someone, you incorporate their physical projection, you can be 6'2 and have projection, but I doubt he will add as much velo as Wirsch will. I just am a bit curious how Seiler can slap a 5th starter at best tag on him when he is projectable with solid developing secondaries....

And what back end starters do you know that have 3 above average pitches AND plus command?

Furthermore, Wirsch projects to have plus secondaries.

How many starters with three above-average pitches and plus command go in the 11th round? Let's not fall into the trap of taking the "scouty reports" (Seiler, Baseball America, any place with "quick hits") too seriously. Excellent for getting general info, but these are just little intro to players -- small summaries about the generalities surrounding a player. Shouldn't be overly analyzed (in my opinion) or you'll end-up thinking every draft class is going to produce a dozen solid MLers.

To be clear, not a knock on Andy at all. Just trying to keep the draftee talk in perspective. Not fair to heap over-the-top expectations on these young players.

One thing I found puzzling about Seiler's ratings--he has Klein rated as a supplemental 1st round guy, but says that he'll be a good setup man in the majors. Meanwhile, he had Bywater rated as a round 3-5 guy, but says that he's a pretty safe #4 starter.

Isn't a #4 starter more valuable than a good setup man?

How many starters with three above-average pitches and plus command go in the 11th round? Let's not fall into the trap of taking the "scouty reports" (Seiler, Baseball America, any place with "quick hits") too seriously. Excellent for getting general info, but these are just little intro to players -- small summaries about the generalities surrounding a player. Shouldn't be overly analyzed (in my opinion) or you'll end-up thinking every draft class is going to produce a dozen solid MLers.

To be clear, not a knock on Andy at all. Just trying to keep the draftee talk in perspective. Not fair to heap over-the-top expectations on these young players.

I think it more or less has to do with it being 2nd 3rd 4th hand info(which is what you are basically saying). I think a lot gets mixed up when a scout says XXX has a CHANCE to have 3 above average pitches and plus command, and it is misinterpreted by the listener and reguritated as he HAS 3 above average pitches and plus command....

Archived