Draft Pick Signings.

Why have the O's only signed one (1) of their 10 picks so far this year? In years past they have locked up those guys rather quickly.

Is something brewing? I hope Tony gets into this issue with MacPhail in his interview.

Frobby just had a thread about this. The problem(if thats what you want to call it) is that the majority of our top 10 is overslot picks, which normally take longer than slot picks because it causes for negotiations. At this point, I don't see any reason we wouldn't sign our top 10. If you go back and look at last year this time, you will see the same concerns.....

Frobby just had a thread about this. The problem(if thats what you want to call it) is that the majority of our top 10 is overslot picks, which normally take longer than slot picks because it causes for negotiations. At this point, I don't see any reason we wouldn't sign our top 10. If you go back and look at last year this time, you will see the same concerns.....
Our top ten is rated as "overslot"? I haven't heard that before.

Our top ten is rated as "overslot"? I haven't heard that before.

Not all of the picks are gonna be overslot, Mummey was a slot signing, and Bywater probably will be too IMO. And we already know Machado will be an overslotter. But, Dixon Anderson is a draft eligible sophomore, so he will have to be bought out of his junior year, Klein will ask for probably second round money, Narron will need to be bought out of his UNC commitment(overslot), Sawyer I don't know much about, but his offensive talent sounds better than 9th round quality and he is an HSer with I believe a college commitment. Schrader may sign for slot, but at the same time, has talent that IMO is comparable more to a 4th-6th rounder and I wouldn't be surprised to see him atleast ask for a bit more than slot, especially because he has some leverage in being a JuCo guy....

I think Angelos has told them not to commit a lot of money until Machado is resolved.He will be expensive.

This of course will cost them some picks because they will go back to school or make other plans. They'll get tired of waiting.But that's the Orioles.

I think Angelos has told them not to commit a lot of money until Machado is resolved.He will be expensive.

This of course will cost them some picks because they will go back to school or make other plans. They'll get tired of waiting.But that's the Orioles.

I can almost guarantee this isn't the case. Not even close. No team would be dumb enough to approach draft signings this way. What ridiculous speculation.

You can criticize a lot of things about this team, but their ability to get players signed has been good, as has their approach.

I can almost guarantee this isn't the case. Not even close. No team would be dumb enough to approach draft signings this way. What ridiculous speculation.

You can criticize a lot of things about this team, but their ability to get players signed has been good, as has their approach.

They haven't had a pick this high since Ben McDonald. This will be the most they've spent in recent memory on their first draft pick.Their last Boras client was Wieters, and he was a number 5.Last year they made a cheap signing at #4.

You're absolutely right. They have signed most of their top ten in recent years. Yet they have done next to nothing this year. If I'm so far off, tell me why they haven't.

They haven't had a pick this high since Ben McDonald. This will be the most they've spent in recent memory on their first draft pick.Their last Boras client was Wieters, and he was a number 5.Last year they made a cheap signing at #4.

You're absolutely right. They have signed most of their top ten in recent years. Yet they have done next to nothing this year. If I'm so far off, tell me why they haven't.

Because the picks are a mixed bag, and they drafted fewer guys in the top-10 who are willing to sign for slot.

Why would they possibly wait for Machado to sign? It would leave them virtually no time to sign anyone else, when Machado predictably goes until Aug. 15th.

BTW, Wieters was a No. 5, but he fell due to price tag - he was the consensus No. 2 prospect and was well-known to be demanding a huge payday. Terrible example.

Why would they possibly wait for Machado to sign? It would leave them virtually no time to sign anyone else,

so...

What you say about Wieters may or may not be true. But Machado will command a bigger payout as the third player taken.I think the Orioles have only so much they'll spend on the draft. Until they (hopefully) sign Machado, you'll see a lot of holdup.

so...

What you say about Wieters may or may not be true. But Machado will command a bigger payout as the third player taken.I think the Orioles have only so much they'll spend on the draft. Until they (hopefully) sign Machado, you'll see a lot of holdup.

No, Machado at most will get what Wieters got. This has nothing to do with Machado, it has to do with the amount of overslotters in our top 10. If they are gonna be overslot signings, they take some time to negotiate. This is why we are seeing a hold out. I am not worried at all, just wanna see some of these guys in action this summer...

Archived