Five Changes to Make Basic Stats Better

BaltimoreTerp

http://joeposnanski.blogspot.com/2010/10/talkin-baseball-stats.html

And I've come to believe this is the reality: NOBODY who cares about baseball hates all baseball stats. Well, I shouldn't say nobody. I'm sure that there is the rare bird who likes to go to games to partake in the geometric greenery of the game or whatever -- but I don't know that person.

So with that as my preamble, I've been thinking about the most basic baseball stats -- and five very simple ways I would improve them. And let me say up front that my suggestions would not make the basic stats more advanced -- the opposite. They would make the basic stats even more basic, which I think would be good.

1. Team wins = pitcher wins

2. If it's a sacrifice, make it a sacrifice.

3. Simplify RBIs.

4. Give me "every run average" rather than "earned run average."

5. Create simple but effective middle-reliever stats.

But it takes a long, long time -- and a lot of power -- for a statistic to go mainstream. It's not enough to yell "This statistic is better!" It may be better. But it has to grab the baseball fan's heart. In the meantime, they'll keep talking RBIs.

Any thoughts?

I like those ideas. It has always amused me that most of the stats taken for granted by the anti-advanced-stat party were actually the first attempts at stats more advanced than hits and runs scored and runs allowed. If we're going to make the claim that these are somehow "simpler" than others, why shouldn't we make them simpler?

http://joeposnanski.blogspot.com/2010/10/talkin-baseball-stats.html

Any thoughts?

I like those ideas. It has always amused me that most of the stats taken for granted by the anti-advanced-stat party were actually the first attempts at stats more advanced than hits and runs scored and runs allowed. If we're going to make the claim that these are somehow "simpler" than others, why shouldn't we make them simpler?

Not sure what he means with 2 and 3, but I agree wholeheartedly with #1.

I'd like to them to change the way saves are given out, specifically coming in when the pen has blown a comfortable lead, picking up one or two outs, and getting credited for the save. Saves are overblown and overvalued as is, but putting that aside you really haven't earned that save by getting one out.

I'd like to them to change the way saves are given out, specifically coming in when the pen has blown a comfortable lead, picking up one or two outs, and getting credited for the save. Saves are overblown and overvalued as is, but putting that aside you really haven't earned that save by getting one out.

I'd go the opposite way: in that case aren't you actually "saving" the game as most people would think of it?

Not sure what he means with 2 and 3, but I agree wholeheartedly with #1.

I'm assuming you mean the starter?

Just cause a team wins, doesn't mean the starter was the one who got them there. This is the biggest issue people have with W-L record to begin with.

Archived