Ripken and Palmer called some of most overrated players of all time

Orioles0615

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't necessarily assume that.

None. Just a consideration of the context. When I was a kid in NY I would constantly debate that Palmer was better than Seaver. As an adult I now realize he really wasn't.

Palmer was about as good as Seaver in his prime, but Seaver stayed good a lot longer. Ditto for Steve Carlton.

2) Ripken and Palmer probably are overrated. Doesn't matter; doesn't diminish their greatness.

Ripken is overrated only by those who think he was one of the top 10 or 20 players of all time.

Palmer is probably overrated, in that he would have had worse stats in most other places and times in MLB history. But he was still an excellent, durable pitcher who took full advantage of the hand he was dealt. There's nothing to say that he might not have adapted to different environements and still have been an excellent pitcher.

Palmer was about as good as Seaver in his prime, but Seaver stayed good a lot longer. Ditto for Steve Carlton.

"About as good" being the operative word(s) I guess. I think Seaver was superior in his prime. Carlton isn't in there with Seaver or Palmer imo.

There's never been any real evidence that Matusz was the one who suppove no ideasedly dissed Palmer (according to that impeccable source, Rob Dibble). just speculation as to who Dibble was referring.

Yeah, I read it somewhere a while back (it wasn't Dibble). I have no idea.

Which member of the Orioles' current staff wrote that? ;)

Palmer and Gibson were from a different time and a different plateau. These numbers they are using against Jim are ridiculous and call into question the accuracy of the metrics that indicate that Jim was over rated. I watched him pitch in person. He was that good.

Palmer is probably overrated, in that he would have had worse stats in most other places and times in MLB history. But he was still an excellent, durable pitcher who took full advantage of the hand he was dealt. There's nothing to say that he might not have adapted to different environements and still have been an excellent pitcher.

Yep to all of that. However this is more of an emotional issue for most.

I posted the following statement on the BR website and it was quickly removed:

After reading this disingenuous mish-mash of misappropriated opinion, I've come to the conclusion that you (Brandon McClintock) are a over-rated writer.

(I am olehippi, and I approve of this message).

Edit: They reposted it.

I do think there is some validity to the argument that the streak overrates Ripken to a certain extent amongst some fans. However, unlike Frank Robinson, I don't for one second believe that the streak made him a Hall of Famer, and that without it he wouldn't be there, because that's just a bunch of garbage. The streak also limits him, even amongst some supposed Orioles fans, as I've heard people make absurd statements to the effect of, "He never was anything special outside of the streak." Yes, the streak does get talked about, a lot, and that tends to make him greater than he was, because by any measure, be it pure skill, statistics, or what have you, there were better guys. But, bottom line, the guy played shortstop like nobody else before him, and like very few guys since. He didn't hit for high average, but most shortstops didn't before him, during his time, and even some after his time. He was not a perfect hitter, but he was a damn good hitter, and a damn good hitter for a shortstop. That point cannot be stated enough, and it is something that people don't always think about. When you put him in the context of the position he played, and the era he played, he was greatness, and that's before you even consider the streak.

The streak may overrate him to some, but his level of production, both offensively and defensively, as one of the three greatest shortstops to ever live, trumps that. Put the streak aside for a minute, and there's no way you can call him overrated.

I'd like to see a list of the most underrated players of all time. That's far more interesting.

I think Chipper Jones is extremely underrated. Number 35 all-time in WAR among offensive players. I think everyone knows he has been a very good player and he will make the Hall of Fame, but he's on a higher tier than people realize. Among active playes, Jones is significantly ahead of Jeter, but I don't think many see it that way.

Some people will be annoyed by this, but Mike Mussina is extremely underrated IMO. He's 24th in WAR among pitchers, well ahead of Jim Palmer. People get hung up on the fact that he never won a Cy Young or a World Series ring, but the guy is one of the most consistently excellent pitchers ever to play. I'm not sure I accept that he was actually better than Palmer, but he was every bit as good.

Yeah I am going to challenge that silly statement - Palmer was a much, much better fielder and from what I remember could hit a little bit too - you are way off on that one

Archived