What if Duquette's plan for 2012....works?

Frobby

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can usually figure out the plan from what they are doing.
I see a plan:

- If free agents aren't willing to sign here, then go abroad and find talent.

- Pitching, pitching, pitching. The more pitching depth, the better.

- Better teams through better scouting and drafting.

I think it's a fine strategy for the situation that this team is in. We have to build the team organically and gain some level of success in order to allow us to take the next steps.

My first reaction was to post something quite similar. It seems Duquette's "plan" was to restructure the scouting and development departments and augment the current core of the team with heavy influence from Buck regarding the on-the-field product.
DD's plan seems to be:

1) expect more out of the guys already here. My guess is that Buck has driven this expectation. For this to happen, 2010 needs to prove to be an anomalously bad season given our talent level.

2) augment our pitching, in starters and relievers. He brought in a real "pitcher" in Wada, a guy with nice upside in Chen, a previously very good reliever in O'Day, a couple of guys who he's hoping prove better than Guthrie and he's hoping Eveland can really contribute.

3) trust that hard work and preparation (new theories with the O's) will improve performance.

The "plan" is fairly obvious to those who wish to see. He is attempting a major restructuring of Player Developmen and Scouting, in spite of PA's strictures, while doing what he can to augment thel ML club, particularly SP, within budget constraints.
Duquette's plan is finding cheap OBP hitters, high K:BB pitchers any way he can.

Apparently some people are able to discern at least the outlines of a plan from Duquette's actions. I think the problem is that much of his plan is behind the scenes. He sees the major problem with the team as organizational and that once these issues are addressed, the ML roster issues will be resolved, as well. Duquette's first draft should be interesting.

Apparently some people are able to discern at least the outlines of a plan from Duquette's actions. I think the problem is that much of his plan is behind the scenes. He sees the major problem with the team as organizational and that once these issues are addressed, the ML roster issues will be resolved, as well. Duquette's first draft should be interesting.
This. :agree:

That's not a plan...not in the way I am looking at it.

We all know he is going to try and improve the system, the structure of the organization, etc...That means nothing if talent isn't brought in. That means nothing to the idea of how terrible the decision making is, how they are keeping players that should be traded and how the ML team has zero direction.

Ok, but can't you give the guy a some more rope before you try and hang him with a little circumstantial evidence here and there.

I think Antonelli has a better chance of hitting for a .350 OBP than Davis has of hitting for a 800 OPS.

I don't think either is very likely. But, I am curious why you say this. Davis has had a season where he had an .800+ OPS in the majors. He has a career OPS of .749 in the majors. His career OPS in the minors is .971. Why are the odds that Davis will come within 171 points of his MiL OPS worse than the odds that Antonelli will come within 23 points of his MiL OBP? Because you've never seen him play before?

Ok, but can't you give the guy a some more rope before you try and hang him with a little circumstantial evidence here and there.

If you had a shred of reading comprehension and didn't fly off the handle over stuff like this, I may acknowledge any of your points as valid.

You talked about crying earlier? Are you kidding me? That's all you are doing.

His player acquisitions, for the most part, HAVE SUCKED! Do you get that? Do you understand that talent is needed? Do you understand that the team right now is no good? That is what people are upset about. We acknowledge the potential strides he is making off the field and how important that is. HOWEVER, you still need talent...you still need to recognize where the organization is. You still need to find out if these young guys are part of the future or just another failed group of prospects. You don't do that by blocking them with crap journeyman players...You don't do that by trading 4 prospects for 2 players you can get off the waiver wire at any time. You don't do that by bringing in over the hill sluggers because you want to see them get a chance, no matter how awful the idea is.

These aren't good plans.

Oh and btw, you would also realize that people are bashing Buck and especially PA just as much, if not more...so please, enough of these woe is me DD crap.

That's not a plan...not in the way I am looking at it.

We all know he is going to try and improve the system, the structure of the organization, etc...That means nothing if talent isn't brought in. That means nothing to the idea of how terrible the decision making is, how they are keeping players that should be traded and how the ML team has zero direction.

If he improves scouting, then he will begin to acquire better talnet. If he improves player development, then he will have more ML ready players to call up. See how that works? If he has a pipe line of talent established, then he won't have to trade all his valuable pieces to acquire talent. Your complaints basically boils down to his not trading Jones so far. He may yet do that. He is waiting for this season to give him a better idea of the core's strength before he makes wholesale trade decisions.

If he improves scouting, then he will begin to acquire better talnet. If he improves player development, then he will have more ML ready players to call up. See how that works. If he has a pipe line of talent established, then he won't have to trade all his valuable pieces to acquire talent. Your complaints basically boil down to his not trading Jones so far. He may yet do that. He is waiting for this season to give him a better idea of the core's strength before he makes wholesale trade decisions.

His plan is looking fine 4-5 years down the road.

But he needs to do more NOW, moves that can effect things in the next 2 years or so...so that some kind of direction is established.

Oh and btw, you would also realize that people are bashing Buck and especially PA just as much, if not more...so please, enough of these woe is me DD crap.

You are one of the few posters who thinks Buck is driving a lot of what is happening with player acquisitions. And I am not saying you are wrong, but it is purely speculative, except perhaps Teagarden.

If you had a shred of reading comprehension and didn't fly off the handle over stuff like this, I may acknowledge any of your points as valid.

You talked about crying earlier? Are you kidding me? That's all you are doing.

His player acquisitions, for the most part, HAVE SUCKED! Do you get that? Do you understand that talent is needed? Do you understand that the team right now is no good? That is what people are upset about. We acknowledge the potential strides he is making off the field and how important that is. HOWEVER, you still need talent...you still need to recognize where the organization is. You still need to find out if these young guys are part of the future or just another failed group of prospects. You don't do that by blocking them with crap journeyman players...You don't do that by trading 4 prospects for 2 players you can get off the waiver wire at any time. You don't do that by bringing in over the hill sluggers because you want to see them get a chance, no matter how awful the idea is.

These aren't good plans.

These are your opinions and obviously are shared by several others. I'm just tired of the Hangout becoming a pity party for disgruntled fans that are merely waiting for the next opportunity to make jokes about this team, this organization and those running it without any measure of critical thinking.

The players he acquired will show themselves for what they are. Do I believe I have seen the best of DD in player / roster management? Absolutely not. There is plenty of time to let Dan show us what he is capable of. If he pulls the trigger on a Jones trade and brings back some great players, a good deal of your complaints may be subsided. It's too early... hang on...

These are your opinions and obviously are shared by several others. I'm just tired of the Hangout becoming a pity party for disgruntled fans that are merely waiting for the next opportunity to make jokes about this team, this organization and those running it without any measure of critical thinking.

The players he acquired will show themselves for what they are. Do I believe I have seen the best of DD in player / roster management? Absolutely not. There is plenty of time to let Dan show us what he is capable of. If he pulls the trigger on a Jones trade and brings back some great players, a good deal of your complaints may be subsided. It's too early... hang on...

The organization is terrible...they deserve everything they get.

His plan is looking fine 4-5 years down the road.

But he needs to do more NOW, moves that can effect things in the next 2 years or so...so that some kind of direction is established.

Well if you are advocating trading Jones, Hardy, Reynolds, Reimold, Arrieta, Matusz, and Markakis, etc., before we see whether the SP is progressing, then that is a rash plan. if you think we can contend in less than 4 years, why would you trade away players that can help you win within that time frame?

Not to worry he's come up with others.

Well if you are advocating trading Jones, Hardy, Reynolds, Reimold, Arrieta, Matusz, and Markakis, etc., before we see whether the SP is progressing, then that is a rash plan. if you think we can contend in less than 4 years, why would you trade away players that can help you win within that time frame?

We can contend but we need a lot more talent and more ML ready guys then the ones we will get in the draft and Int'l signings. What DD wants to do is great for SUSTAINING success..but you have to have some kind of a foundation first and the Orioles really lack that. They have some potential talent but need more and they need that talent to be cheaper and younger.

Archived