Dylan Bundy Thread

caljr

Saw Bundy live in person tonight. He was consistently throwing 94-96 MPH on his fastball the entire game with a lot of movement. His change-up was working for him well tonight and he was getting a lot of swing/misses on it. What impressed me the most is how poised he was on the mound after being squeezed and after Schoop's error. The error was pretty bad because Schoop and Wheeler let a pop fly fall in due to bad communication. Both of them thought the other was going to grab it and gave each other glares after the play. On the squeezes, Bundy was hitting the corners and the umpire behind the plate was not giving him the calls (which the fans berated him for all game).

Another little thing that impressed me was how well he fielded his position on a bunt that was laid down. Many pitchers rush the play but Bundy was calm and took the extra half second to ensure the play was done cleanly.

Overall, I was very impressed with his debut at AA. He looks to have a good feel for locating his pitches and doesn't seem to get rattled.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well when they finally let him use it, I hope he remembers how :-)

I don't know enough about pitching, but I'm curious. Is it all about forcing him to learn to use other pitches? Or are cutters somehow mechanically riskier for injury, and they don't want young pitchers throwing them?

Because if it's only about forcing him to learn other pitches, why not allow him to use it in just 1 inning per game, like his last inning. (Since the amount of innings he throws is generally pre-determined.) That way he could still learn to use other pitches, and still get periodic practice with the cutter.

Saw Bundy live in person tonight. He was consistently throwing 94-96 MPH on his fastball the entire game with a lot of movement. His change-up was working for him well tonight and he was getting a lot of swing/misses on it. What impressed me the most is how poised he was on the mound after being squeezed and after Schoop's error. The error was pretty bad because Schoop and Wheeler let a pop fly fall in due to bad communication. Both of them thought the other was going to grab it and gave each other glares after the play. On the squeezes, Bundy was hitting the corners and the umpire behind the plate was not giving him the calls (which the fans berated him for all game).

Another little thing that impressed me was how well he fielded his position on a bunt that was laid down. Many pitchers rush the play but Bundy was calm and took the extra half second to ensure the play was done cleanly.

Overall, I was very impressed with his debut at AA. He looks to have a good feel for locating his pitches and doesn't seem to get rattled.

Thank you for this.

Or are cutters somehow mechanically riskier for injury, and they don't want young pitchers throwing them?

They shouldn't be since a cutter is basically a fastball except you press harder on the ball with your middle finger at release. So no breaking ball level of strain in the elbow.

They shouldn't be since a cutter is basically a fastball except you press harder on the ball with your middle finger at release. So no breaking ball level of strain in the elbow.

Peterson has said that there is a correlation between lowered velocity over time and pitchers who throw cutters.

Peterson has said that there is a correlation between lowered velocity over time and pitchers who throw cutters.

I think the pitching gurus feel that when young guys are learning how to master their breaking pitches throwing a cutter hurts the quality of the breaking pitches, makes them slurvy instead of having good bite. At least that is what I have been told.

Archived