vs. ATHLETICS 7/27

OFFNY

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone else think that Buck didn't pinch run for Thome or pinch hit for Betemit because he has an 8 man bullpen right now. Tough to make changes in your lineup when you have 3 bench players.

Yep, it would have been nice to have Tolleson or Pearce on the bench there.

Anyone else think that Buck didn't pinch run for Thome or pinch hit for Betemit because he has an 8 man bullpen right now. Tough to make changes in your lineup when you have 3 bench players.

I was going to make a snarky comment about how he uses those 8 pitchers, but then I got tired.

This inning is over. This is terrible match up for the O's. This lefty is tough in righties and Betemit can't hit right-handed. Good managing by Melvin.

Which brings up another issue. Offense-wise, it's really a waste of a roster spot to have two lefty-hitting middle infielders up (Flaherty and Quintanilla). If we had had another right-handed hitter on the bench, we cd have pinch-hit for Betemit (.158 BA vs. LHP). Flaherty and Q are redundant, especially if you bench Flaherty when he's hitting well. Sorry, it's just mystifying managing and roster management. (And I just don't think the defensive improvement with Q is substantial enough to carry two lefty-hitting second basemen.)

Archived