Roch: O's trying to reach a deal with Reynolds

Frobby

The only thing that continues unabated is the stupidity like the one in this post. EVERYBODY knows Angelos could spend more money. You're some sort of rocket scientist? He's not going to. We all somehow hate the idea of a 150 million payroll because we're realistic to know it ain't gonna happen? How do you know what operations and overhead are? How do you know what he considers them to be? My guess it's primarily based on attendance and attendance related revenue which I highly doubt would support an additional 45 million plus a year for Hamilton and Greinke in 2013. My guess (since I don't have access to PA's financials) is he's not dipping into MASN revenue to support the team. Does that suck? Yeah, I guess it does. Are you guys going to ever stop whining about it? Get over it.

So every team improves with expensive free agents? You're going to ignore the mess the Twins, Red Sox, Cubs, Mets, Marlins (among others) have put themselves in with stupid free agent contracts or the other markets with deeper revenue streams that can consistently dig themselves out of?

Yeah it sucks because he flat out lied and said MASN would allow us to bump the payroll and improve the team. Silly us for taking the man's word and expecting him to honor it.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only thing that continues unabated is the stupidity like the one in this post. EVERYBODY knows Angelos could spend more money.

Apparently not.

You're some sort of rocket scientist? He's not going to. We all somehow hate the idea of a 150 million payroll because we're realistic to know it ain't gonna happen? How do you know what operations and overhead are? How do you know what he considers them to be? My guess it's primarily based on attendance and attendance related revenue which I highly doubt would support an additional 45 million plus a year for Hamilton and Greinke in 2013. My guess (since I don't have access to PA's financials) is he's not dipping into MASN revenue to support the team. Does that suck? Yeah, I guess it does. Are you guys going to ever stop whining about it? Get over it.

Exactly. That's a bit of a problem.

Still no reason not to make moves.

So every team improves with expensive free agents? You're going to ignore the mess the Twins, Red Sox, Cubs, Mets, Marlins (among others) have put themselves in with stupid free agent contracts or the other markets with deeper revenue streams that can consistently dig themselves out of?

I'm thinking of the Yankees and the Red Sox (who has tremendous success developing players AND making FA signings until the last two years). Oh, and Detroit, Anaheim and San Francisco.

Still haven't heard one reason why the Orioles can't spend money once in a while. Why so much hate and anger over a baseball payroll?

Seriously. Why so much vitriol? :slytf:

MSK

If the Orioles had a first baseman with a .654 OPS last year, MSK would be going nuts that we're "standing pat".

But hey, the grass is always greener and players on other teams are always more attractive than the dreck we have. Make moves!! Spend money!! BLAAAARRRGGHHH ITS THE OFFSEASON!!! :vader::vader::vader:

Once again, and for the 975,443,211th time, I never said to recklessly spend money for no reason.

Again, for all the people in the cheap seats:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/128490-Locking-up-our-own-players-vs-spending-on-free-agents?p=2992940#post2992940

MSK

Once again, and for the 975,443,211th time, I never said to recklessly spend money for no reason.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/128490-Locking-up-our-own-players-vs-spending-on-free-agents?p=2992940#post2992940

MSK

Once again, you show up every offseason like the OH herp to spew nonsense.

MSK

So...you'd be happy with a .654 OPS first baseman and trade the AL Saves leader to get him?

You've never advocated Jtrea like spending before? You're not all about signing some high priced FA's?

So...you'd be happy with a .654 OPS first baseman and trade the AL Saves leader to get him?

You've never advocated Jtrea like spending before? You're not all about signing some high priced FA's?

No, not at all.

Every off-season I've suggested that we address a vital need on the team - which from 2006 on has been in multiple positions. Year after year went by where we heard "next year we'll improve" or "we need to see what we've got" or "we made an offer, they didn't accept it" knowing damn well the offer was $25-$50 million less than the other lowest bid. You've seen it too.

WE ALL have seen it. But at the same time, a lot of folks get really angry and disturbed whenever someone says, "hey, can't we afford to do better?"

I've never, ever said, let's just spend, spend, spend.

I've said, repeatedly, "why can't we just get the one or two guys we need?" I don't advocate tossing around payroll budgets like trading cards.

I've never suggested behaving like the Yankees, or Red Sox, or last year's Marlins or Anaheim. Somehow, Toronto and Detroit manage to make the improvements they need without adhering to the Baltimore Payroll Mythology. This mythology is ever-present on the OH. The ownership HAS the money. They won't spend it. Pretending we're dirt-poor is counter-intuitive. It's like a baseball fan version of Stockholm Syndrome.

The overreaction to anyone suggesting that Peter Angelos spend money on a superstar FA is borderline psychotic. Why do people get so upset? It's not your money.

MSK

No, not at all.

Every off-season I've suggested that we address a vital need on the team - which from 2006 on has been in multiple positions. Year after year went by where we heard "next year we'll improve" or "we need to see what we've got" or "we made an offer, they didn't accept it" knowing damn well the offer was $25-$50 million less than the other lowest bid. You've seen it too.

WE ALL have seen it. But at the same time, a lot of folks get really angry and disturbed whenever someone says, "hey, can't we afford to do better?"

I've never, ever said, let's just spend, spend, spend.

I've said, repeatedly, "why can't we just get the one or two guys we need?" I don't advocate tossing around payroll budgets like trading cards.

I've never suggested behaving like the Yankees, or Red Sox, or last year's Marlins or Anaheim. Somehow, Toronto and Detroit manage to make the improvements they need without adhering to the Baltimore Payroll Mythology. This mythology is ever-present on the OH. The ownership HAS the money. They won't spend it. Pretending we're dirt-poor is counter-intuitive. It's like a baseball fan version of Stockholm Syndrome.

The overreaction to anyone suggesting that Peter Angelos spend money on a superstar FA is borderline psychotic. Why do people get so upset? It's not your money.

MSK

I think people have been waiting until we could build an an 80+ win team on our own to wait and spend to get those one or two pieces to help us out and get us over the hump. And look what happened...we won 93 games this year and got significantly better as the season wore on. Didn't haven to spend on a big time FA to do it, either.

Adding Teixeira to a team that couldn't win more than 70 games wouldn't have done us a damn bit of good and you know that.

Frankly, I don't get the obsession of having to spend for a superstar FA.

Assuming we bring back Reynolds back, i think our next target is McLouth. If we couldn'n get him, Scott Hairston is good backup idea. While that's not looking so great we still could get the job done next season if Wieters, Hardy, Markakis find consistency with the bat, if Reimold and Roberts plays at least 120 games. If our big bat signings are Reynolds, McLouth/ Hairston, we should spend some on pitching - Liriano/Marcum and Uehara anyone?

And then sign Brian Wilson. Because he made more money last year so he's better!

:vader:

:rofl:

First off, in 2011, according to the wealthiest Greeks list:

http://www.thenationalherald.com/content/pdf/inserts/2011/wealthiest_2011.pdf (PAGE 8)

Peter is worth about $450 million.

With overhead and baseball operations, he could STILL add at least one Hamilton type and at least 1 TOR starter.

Again, the myth of us being broke continues unabated.

The other part of the myth is that all the other teams are destroying themselves by signing players would could afford. Meanwhile, some of us put blinders on when they continually improve.

Phew.

MSK

Okay, so your plan is that Peter Angelos, an 82 year old man, should spend a quarter of his wealth that took him 60 years to obtain, on one player who many Orioles FANS fear because of health and off the field trouble? And you don't understand why we take issue with your comments?

Hell, by this time tomorrow morning, some schmuck who bought a one dollar lottery ticket will have more money than Angelos. I fail to see the point of your post?

I can't wait to hear someone defend letting Reynolds walk if this is true, and coming from Britt it probably is...

Can't agree with a guy who would be willing to take a 1yr deal for about $8 million. Fantastic.

So instead of paying Reynolds $9 million in arbitration. For one year. We are prepared to let him walk.

One question. Why??

This is gonna bite the Orioles in the arse. I don't agree with paying one player 20+ million a year, but balking at 9 million over 7.5 million is just ridiculous. Did Double D WATCH Davis play first base last year? I've got a bad feeling about this!

The only thing that continues unabated is the stupidity like the one in this post. EVERYBODY knows Angelos could spend more money. You're some sort of rocket scientist? He's not going to. We all somehow hate the idea of a 150 million payroll because we're realistic to know it ain't gonna happen? How do you know what operations and overhead are? How do you know what he considers them to be? My guess it's primarily based on attendance and attendance related revenue which I highly doubt would support an additional 45 million plus a year for Hamilton and Greinke in 2013. My guess (since I don't have access to PA's financials) is he's not dipping into MASN revenue to support the team. Does that suck? Yeah, I guess it does. Are you guys going to ever stop whining about it? Get over it.

Might as well add the Angels to your list as well. How's that Pujols contract gonna look in 8 years? 5 years? Hell, Now?

Yeah it sucks because he flat out lied and said MASN would allow us to bump the payroll and improve the team. Silly us for taking the man's word and expecting him to honor it.

Well, I'd say 69 wins in 2011 to 93 wins and a playoff berth in 2012 was an improvement! ;)

I don't believe in getting this worked up over public posturing. The Orioles have no incentive to say anything different prior to the deadline (and neither does Reynolds's side). In a few days we will know, until then, focus on other things.

Excellent point. Double D would not be too bright if he came out and said, "We're bringing Mark back one way or another." Not would Reynolds have any reason to say "I'd rather stay with the Birds than to explore free agency." I think you're right on target Murph...lets wait and see what happens on Friday.

Archived