Roch: O's trying to reach a deal with Reynolds

Frobby

I don't believe in getting this worked up over public posturing. The Orioles have no incentive to say anything different prior to the deadline (and neither does Reynolds's side). In a few days we will know, until then, focus on other things.

But... THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, not at all.

Every off-season I've suggested that we address a vital need on the team - which from 2006 on has been in multiple positions. Year after year went by where we heard "next year we'll improve" or "we need to see what we've got" or "we made an offer, they didn't accept it" knowing damn well the offer was $25-$50 million less than the other lowest bid. You've seen it too.

WE ALL have seen it. But at the same time, a lot of folks get really angry and disturbed whenever someone says, "hey, can't we afford to do better?"

I've never, ever said, let's just spend, spend, spend.

I've said, repeatedly, "why can't we just get the one or two guys we need?" I don't advocate tossing around payroll budgets like trading cards.

I've never suggested behaving like the Yankees, or Red Sox, or last year's Marlins or Anaheim. Somehow, Toronto and Detroit manage to make the improvements they need without adhering to the Baltimore Payroll Mythology. This mythology is ever-present on the OH. The ownership HAS the money. They won't spend it. Pretending we're dirt-poor is counter-intuitive. It's like a baseball fan version of Stockholm Syndrome.

The overreaction to anyone suggesting that Peter Angelos spend money on a superstar FA is borderline psychotic. Why do people get so upset? It's not your money.

MSK

It's really simple:

Prior to this year signing a big ticket free agent would have been counter-productive, eating up huge amounts of resources for wins 70-74, while producing almost zero new revenues. If they'd signed Tex they'd have gotten about 69, 70, and 73 wins from 2009-11, and maybe an extra one or two wins in 2012, while spending about $90M on him so far. (And that's if any amount of money could have persuaded him to come to an Oriole team that was seriously listing and taking on water.)

Now that the O's have established themselves as a .500-ish team, it does make sense to spend some playoff revenues on improvements. But that doesn't mean Duquette should divorce himself from common sense or making sound, economically efficient decisions. Just because Greinke and Hamilton are the gems of this particular free agent class doesn't mean those are players the Orioles have to sign, not if the price and risk doesn't make sense. The Orioles still need to operate under the assumption that they're mid-table in revenues, at best. They're not going to consistently win going toe-to-toe with the Yanks and Sox and maybe even Jays on payroll, they have to be more efficient.

So you can whine and cry and play the victim all you want, while the rest of us exist back in reality, where life has constraints and all of our wishes don't come true. Please stop with the strawman argument that half the board wants Angelos to pocket all of the revenues while minimizing payroll, it's a lie. We all want a great Orioles team, but I'm going to continue to analyze which players make sense right now, in the real world where Duquette doesn't have a blank check.

I don't believe in getting this worked up over public posturing. The Orioles have no incentive to say anything different prior to the deadline (and neither does Reynolds's side). In a few days we will know, until then, focus on other things.

What other things would you like us to focus on? This seems to be the most immediate issue facing the Orioles. If you mean focusing on things other than the Orioles, well, where are your priorities, man?

Davis?? I must need a memory refresher. Did he do much in the playoffs? I recall a game where he struck out three times, on 9 pitches all the same variety..down and in.

Davis started well, 4 for 8 in the first two games of the ALDS, with a run and 2 RBI. In the last three games he was 0 for 12 with a walk. And yes, he struck out three times in Game 4. He also struck out three times in the Wild Card game while going 1 for 4.

I'm hoping this gets done because I came up with this great idea, but Reynolds needs to be an Oriole or it's no good. I was going to get two personalized O's shirts. One for me and one for my Daughter (turns 3 in March) on the back mine will say "sheriff" and on the back of hers it will say "Deputy" and of course they will have Reynolds and Davis Jersey # as well.

So...you'd be happy with a .654 OPS first baseman and trade the AL Saves leader to get him?

You've never advocated Jtrea like spending before? You're not all about signing some high priced FA's?

Apparently so as he want's Smoak at 1st and as to the spending he also wants Hamilton in left and 2 TOR starters. Hamilton (20MM) + 2 TOR's (15-20MM Ea.) equals 50-60MM additional per year. Now Moose ya have to remember to him that is pocket change. Ya need to ask him what he considers extravagant spending....LOL

It is funny here we are at 2pm and only one person has a comment on the breaking Reynolds news from last night. You know the news that we are prepared to let him walk for chump change, and that a deal is probably not going to happen.

Any comments on the situation? Do you agree with the apparent decision to play hardball over a million bucks, with a player that has the ceiling Reynold has?

If we let Reynolds walk what do you think the plan should be to replace his production?

Is there any reason on this earth to make this decision being he can be had for such a reasonable price relatively speaking?

It is all about "value" and "efficiency" remember.

It is funny here we are at 2pm and only one person has a comment on the breaking Reynolds news from last night. You know the news that we are prepared to let him walk for chump change, and that a deal is probably not going to happen.

Any comments on the situation? Do you agree with the apparent decision to play hardball over a million bucks, with a player that has the ceiling Reynold has?

If we let Reynolds walk what do you think the plan should be to replace his production?

Is there any reason on this earth to make this decision being he can be had for such a reasonable price relatively speaking?

It is all about "value" and "efficiency" remember.

I don't think it's the end of the world if Reynolds signs somewhere else and we have an effective plan to replace his bat. I would think that if we were going to get him signed, it would have been done by now so we can focus on other needs.

I don't think it's the end of the world if Reynolds signs somewhere else and we have an effective plan to replace his bat. I would think that if we were going to get him signed, it would have been done by now so we can focus on other needs.

We have someone else in the plans who could hit us 30-40 bombs and play awesome defense at 1st base?

Who might that be exactly?

We have someone else in the plans who could hit us 30-40 bombs and play awesome defense at 1st base?

Who might that be exactly?

I think Davis will be the first baseman, and will be better than we saw last season. A Betemit platoon at DH with a guy like Gomes (yes, I know he's a Red Sux, but similar player) would be a pretty good bet to put up a better OPS than Reynolds.

Davis started well, 4 for 8 in the first two games of the ALDS, with a run and 2 RBI. In the last three games he was 0 for 12 with a walk. And yes, he struck out three times in Game 4. He also struck out three times in the Wild Card game while going 1 for 4.

I think he also struck out three times against James Shields but in between hit one about 950 yards.

I think Davis will be the first baseman, and will be better than we saw last season. A Betemit platoon at DH with a guy like Gomes (yes, I know he's a Red Sux, but similar player) would be a pretty good bet to put up a better OPS than Reynolds.

So Betemit, and a "similar player to Gomes" replaces Reynolds. Solid.

And Chris Davis is going to magically play a GG first base I assume?

So Betemit, and a "similar player to Gomes" replaces Reynolds. Solid.

And Chris Davis is going to magically play a GG first base I assume?

Wow...didn't say anything about Davis winning a GG. I didn't realize that half of a season of good defense at first meant that Mark Reynolds was the next Keith Hernandez.

And yes...Betemit and a right-handed hitting player like (as El Gordo has said) Austin Kearns or Reimold would likely put up a better OPS than Mark Reynolds.

Archived