Anyone miss Mark Reynolds yesterday?

Mr Snuffleupagus

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, so many fans are quick to forget about the 1B that he played down the stretch for the team last year, allowing Manny to come up and solidifying the infield defense. He also was one of the few on the team that had a good approach at the plate, at least that guy could take a walk and see a lot of pitches in at at bat.

Sure, he had a down year offensively last year but I think he'll bounce back this year. I might not 100% miss him now as his departure doesn't leave a gaping hole anywhere but let's not pretend like he wasn't a crucial part of the team catching fire last year and kicking the holy hell out of the Yankees down the stretch.

Interesting how Buck basically said high strike out guys are selfish by trying to pad power numbers instead of helping the team. I still don't see why you guys aren't thanking your lucky stars reynolds are gone.

Wow, so the 100-year trend towards more and more strikeouts isn't a result of management, batters and pitchers all having heavy incentives and almost no downside to more strikeouts, but instead a result of society's and humanity's failures to produce ballplayers with more altruism. Interesting.

Sure, but there are always tradeoffs. Reynolds would have been better in a vacuum, but you're not going to pay $6M for a fractional gain or an insurance policy. Maybe the Yanks do that, but not the Orioles or most other teams. Reynolds is a bit better hitter than Pearce, but doesn't play as many positions, and would have been much less happy in a part-time role. If you're completely up front with Reynolds and tell him he's not guaranteed any kind of starting role I'm not sure he signs here.

You have a lot of good points here.

Betting on Reimold to play a full season is not a good bet at this point. I hope Reimold can pull it off but I am not putting money on it. If Reynolds had stayed he probably plays full time. Betemit goes to the bench and Reimold platoons with McLouth until there are injuries. Reynolds is a 30 HR guy with 80 RBIs in 500 at bat with a bunch of K's. I don't know if he can do that as a DH. He never has.

I think two things drove the decision for the O's to leave Mark go. 1) Money, 2) the O's decision to put Davis at first to keep him happen. They are both important factors and I will not argue that the O's didn't make the right decision.

Wow, so many fans are quick to forget about the 1B that he played down the stretch for the team last year, allowing Manny to come up and solidifying the infield defense. He also was one of the few on the team that had a good approach at the plate, at least that guy could take a walk and see a lot of pitches in at at bat.

Sure, he had a down year offensively last year but I think he'll bounce back this year. I might not 100% miss him now as his departure doesn't leave a gaping hole anywhere but let's not pretend like he wasn't a crucial part of the team catching fire last year and kicking the holy hell out of the Yankees down the stretch.

I agree completely. I have pointed out several times that our infield defense last year broke into 1/3 of the season increments. The first 1/3 of the year, we were awful, with 2 glaring holes at the corners (1st base and 3rd base.) The second 1/3 of the season, we were pretty good, which is when Reynolds took over at first base, eliminating one of the 2 glaring holes The final 1/3 of the season, were were very good, with Machado taking over at 3rd base, which eliminated the remaining glaring hole that we had left. I don't think that it's just a coincidence that our infield defense improved markedly when each of those players (Reynolds and Machado) took over those positions when they did.

From the Indians beat writer:

Reynolds hit a booming leadoff homer in the 11th inning to give the Indians a 3-2 victory over Toronto at Rogers Centre. Until he hit Sergio Santos' 96 mph fastball high over the fence in left-center field, Reynolds had been terrible.

In his first four at-bats, he struck out twice, hit into a double play and flied out to right field.

"That's what he has," said manager Terry Francona. "He'll miss sometimes, but when he hits them, they're game-changers. You know he's going to run into one. You just hope he runs into a lot of them."

Think they are realizing the hit or miss nature of Reynolds.....literally.

Reynolds has been playing DH everyday which I guess is his natural position. He is hitting .125 and has 3 strikeouts in 2 games. Not exactly something to miss. It is obvious Chris Davis can handle first base better than Mark and playing in the field will probably help his bat. This is the year Chris Davis becomes a star

If Chris Davis goes down or needs a rest, they will miss Reynolds.Steve Pearce seems like a logical replacement, but it will still leave a gaping hole offensively.

A complimentary post of Reynolds? Ok, who took over writing Roy's posts.

If Chris Davis goes down or needs a rest, they will miss Reynolds.Steve Pearce seems like a logical replacement, but it will still leave a gaping hole offensively.

If you look at Frobby's consolidated 2013 projection thread it looks like the average projection for Pearce is about a .750 OPS. Glancing at Fangraphs the median projection for Reynolds is maybe .775. I don't know that I'd call a .025 OPS difference over, say, 300 PAs "a gaping hole". That's maybe five runs.

Archived