The BRob Effect

webbrick2010

I think both Brian's supporters and his detractors should just turn down the rhetoric a bit and see what happens. It's not enough of a sample to mean much.

It's just my personal observation and opinion, but I think Brian has looked very good at the plate the last couple of weeks. Last night he was 0 for 2 with a walk and a sac fly. The sac fly was hit to the deepest part of the ballpark, and he hit another ball very hard to the alley that was caught. Overall, he seems able to drive the ball in a way he couldn't do last year. He is doing well enough that I expect Buck to keep putting him out there.

I agree with this. Roberts has been contributing and doing a nice job overall, especially at the plate. He's had some productive ABs even when not getting hits. He's shown he can play effectively overall, even if his defense is below average at this point in his career. If he can stay healthy and maintain his current production levels, he'll contribute down the stretch.

Voices of reason, pssht :).

I only brought it up to yank Webbrick's chain. I think it's obvious that no one player has a hold over the team's ability to win and lose. Player performance matters on both offense and defense. And we can only hope we continue to get this performance out of Roberts, the SP, Wieters etc. etc.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep, I agree here. I've been trying to turn down my inner Roberts fanboy a little recently by acknowledging some of his defensive challenges and agreeing that he should at least be replaced in late innings.

But he is doing well at the plate, I don't think folks can deny that. I think the team is better off just continuing to run him out there and allow him to build confidence (especially with base running) and see if he can get back enough of that Good Brian Roberts to be a boost down the stretch.

I'll agree he has been decent at the plate. The main concern I have always had with a Roberts return is on defense.

I'll agree he has been decent at the plate. The main concern I have always had with a Roberts return is on defense.

I think there also has to be a certain amount of rust. Not saying that he's even going to be average defensively, but I think it's more likely he improves than regresses. Same offensively.

Also, he's a good situational hitter. Something that isn't measured in offensive stats. I know I'm getting a bit too excited about having a productive BRob back, but it's just nice to see.

I think there also has to be a certain amount of rust. Not saying that he's even going to be average defensively, but I think it's more likely he improves than regresses. Same offensively.

Also, he's a good situational hitter. Something that isn't measured in offensive stats. I know I'm getting a bit too excited about having a productive BRob back, but it's just nice to see.

I think fatigue from playing (Buck isn't known for giving his starters days off) is going to outweigh any rust removal. I don't think it is rust that is impacting his range, it is his body. He isn't making bad decisions out there.

I think fatigue from playing (Buck isn't known for giving his starters days off) is going to outweigh any rust removal. I don't think it is rust that is impacting his range, it is his body. He isn't making bad decisions out there.

Yeah, I agree with this. Fundamentally he seems fine.

Yeah, I agree with this. Fundamentally he seems fine.

He may be fine fundamentally, but he can still improve without getting more rangy. As he starts to get used to the ML game, a step in the right direction before a pitch or something similar can lead to improved defense.

• 2 weeks later...
O's are 13-13 in the 26 games that BRob has played since returning from injury

BRob slash line .223/.273/.350/.623 in those 26 games

and he also provides crappy defense.

Sure glad to have him back

I think it's a slippery slope laying the W-L record at BRob's feet. He does own the slash line though. RF was just starting to hit when BRob reappeared too.

I think it's a slippery slope laying the W-L record at BRob's feet. He does own the slash line though. RF was just starting to hit when BRob reappeared too.

Yes it was established way back in this thread that BRob is not responsible for the BRob effect... however he has never participated in a winning record for the O's... and the way things are going the BRob effect will be intact at the end of this season.

• 4 weeks later...
I think BRob is likely to outhit Flaherty by a substantial margin for the rest of the year. That's just my opinion.
I'd take that bet. ;) How about if Roberts does outhit (by OPS) Flaherty from this point on I'll take you to a game and if Flaherty outhits Roberts, you take me to a game in your sweet seats? :D BTW, it's not that I think Flaherty is some great hitter, it's just that I have little reason to believe that Roberts is a .600+ OPS guy over a sustained time period in the big leagues any more.

Update: From July 10 (the day of the bet) to today, BRob has hit .268/.341/.393, and Flaherty has hit .244/.311/.439. Slight advantage to Tony, for now. The good news is that both are well over .700 OPS in that six-week span.

If you add up all the production at second base this year..you have about a

.250 hitter with around 50-60 RBI's 11-12 HR's so far.Not horrible .

In fact, Brian HAS made a significant contribution to the Orioles after all. Im not sure about a re-sign next year, but he's been pretty solid this

year when he's played.They have to make a decision though.

I'd take a Flash/BRob 2B platoon, with BRob doing some LHP DHing as well, over any of the FA 2B options, other than Zobrist, if he is available.

Archived