The Orioles are among the teams interested in Bronson Arroyo

Greg

Obviously, I only read the quoted part in the post. Ichiro, Darvish, Matsui, Uehara, and Kuroda have all been very successful, but DiceK did fail. So did Irabu. So did Fukodome. And, many others. It's not an easy transition. I think he's just using DiceK as an example, not "calling him out."

Is Arroyo not very intelligent or something? It's obvious he is at the tail end of his career, he could break down at any moment, he could get clobbered in the AL East. Many reasons he is not being offered the contract he wants. Is the media too cowardly to tell him the truth?

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I totally agree with you. It is like someone in any career who has put in hard work day in and day out for a company and then your company goes and hires someone else who is in the same career but doesnt know the ins and outs of your company and ends up getting paid way more than you will ever see in your lifetime. I get it.

Well one guy is 25 and the other is 37. The 37 year old isn't getting the number of years offered as the 25 year old? That is quite a shock.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Arroyo frustrated that teams can give Tanaka $155M & "forget about guys like me, who have done the job for the last eight or 10 years."</p>? Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) <a href="
">January 29, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/stark_jayson/id/10369584/how-free-agent-starter-bronson-arroyo-unemployed

He should be annoyed. Tanaka certainly won't pitch 200 innings this year and may turn out to never do so in his career. Meanwhile the 200 inning machine hasn't gotten an offer.

Come on Dan, sign him up! Give him 2/23.

""I'm not surprised that he doesn't get it, because I don't get it, either," said one AL exec whose team isn't a fit. "I guess people are concerned about his age [he turns 37 next month]. But he's 37 going on 27. He's got a loose, limber body. He's never been on the DL. He never misses a start. He doesn't cost you a draft pick. He's a tremendous teammate. He's helped a lot of [young] pitchers on his team. So I don't understand it. I really don't" That's why I like Arroyo. Get off your duff DD.

I have not been a big proponent of signing Arroyo, but I have to say that these comments he made in this article make me reconsider. I like him more all the time. You cannot deny that the guy has a really incredible record of taking the ball on his turn and doing the job. He is frustrated, I understand that. He should be. I am sure that Bronson understands that he will be 37 years old, and some of these guys represent higher upside (Tanaka), but he has a right to lean on his history. He has been a workhorse.

If I were DD I would offer him 2/20 with an option right now.

I have not been a big proponent of signing Arroyo, but I have to say that these comments he made in this article make me reconsider. I like him more all the time. You cannot deny that the guy has a really incredible record of taking the ball on his turn and doing the job. He is frustrated, I understand that. He should be. I am sure that Bronson understands that he will be 37 years old, and some of these guys represent higher upside (Tanaka), but he has a right to lean on his history. He has been a workhorse.

If I were DD I would offer him 2/20 with an option right now.

22 QS out of 32 GS last season. Better than any O's SP.

Arroyo is a comedian.

He has been saying 'I'm 37 and want a 3 year contract' over and over and over.

Now he is saying - ' I'm as good pitcher, why aren't I getting any offers?'

Well, duh, stop saying you want a three year deal. Say you will take a two year deal and see what happens.

22 QS out of 32 GS last season. Better than any O's SP.

It's a little easier to have a QS in the NL, since the pitcher will bat a couple of times in 6 innings. Tillman's 21 QS is probably as good or better an accomplishment as Arroyo's 22 when you factor that in. Still, no doubt Arroyo would eat enough innings to help the bullpen considerably.

Well one guy is 25 and the other is 37. The 37 year old isn't getting the number of years offered as the 25 year old? That is quite a shock.

What do you do? Try to find ways to put guys down in case the O's might sign them? Preemptive mudslinging. Or mud hoarding?

Archived