The Orioles are among the teams interested in Bronson Arroyo

Greg

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bronson Arroyo - S - Reds

CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that Bronson Arroyo's representatives talked about their client with the Dodgers after they lost out on the Masahiro Tanaka bidding.

However, Heyman adds that it's "uncertain" how interested the Dodgers are. The market was at a standstill while everyone waited for Tanaka to make a decision, but now that that's over with some of the other pitcher dominoes should fall. Arroyo has drawn interest from the Angels, Orioles and Twins.

Related: Dodgers

I guess we can kiss him goodbye if the Dodgers want him.

Kiss him goodbye? By all means...and send him a fruit basket or something for the trip.

The Orioles don't spend the kind of money we think they should. That doesn't mean they should spend some money on Arroyo.

Kiss him goodbye? By all means...and send him a fruit basket or something for the trip.

The Orioles don't spend the kind of money we think they should. That doesn't mean they should spend some money on Arroyo.

Yeah we don't need no stinkin' 200 IP.

Ervin Santana - S - Royals

Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles have had "recent, active dialogue" with the agents of a few starters, including Ervin Santana, Bronson Arroyo and Ubaldo Jimenez.

Connolly does add the caveat that the O's are "still not sure the prices are where they want/hope them to be" at this point. It's clear that they're in search for rotation help, though, and are leaving no stone unturned. Santana would be the priciest of the group, as Yahoo! Sports' Jeff Passan reported that, as of a week ago, the righty was seeking a four-year deal in the $60 million range.

Related: Orioles, Ubaldo Jimenez, Bronson Arroyo

Source: Dan Connolly on Twitter

Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles have had "recent, active dialogue" with the agents of a few starters, including Ervin Santana, Bronson Arroyo and Ubaldo Jimenez.

Connolly does add the caveat that the O's are "still not sure the prices are where they want/hope them to be" at this point. It's clear that they're in search for rotation help, though, and are leaving no stone unturned. Santana would be the priciest of the group, as Yahoo! Sports' Jeff Passan reported that, as of a week ago, the righty was seeking a four-year deal in the $60 million range.

If they could get Santana or Jimenez at the cost of Garza, it may be worth losing that first round pick.

I can't see spending 3/36m on Arroyo. Not even 2/24m. I have a problem with the second year at that rate.

I like Burnett or Maholm on a one year contract better.

The O's have Markakis, Jones and Davis over 10M in 2014. They seem willing to add a starter over 10M. Thats four players over 10m.

However in 2015 they will probably have Jones, Davis, Hardy and Wieters over 10M. I don't know that they will support an old pitcher at over 10m in 2015 or 2016.

I have not given up on the O's signing Davis and Wieters long term. Not yet anyway.

Me neither, especially Davis, who clearly would like to stay.

The bolded years are corrected. You said 2013 and 2014, meant to say 2014 and 2015.

Maholm is a possibility. He's a step down from Arroyo but adequate for a fifth starter while we wait to see when Gausman will be ready.

Yeah we don't need no stinkin' 200 IP.

Plenty of people seemed to be happy to usher Guthrie out of town. Maybe I'm misreading the numbers, but I don't see a whole lot of difference between Guthrie and Arroyo apart from (1) age and (2) run support.

Arroyo's old, and he's potentially incendiary in the AL East. If the O's are going to spend FA money, I'd like to see them spring for someone who could be a legitimate (Orioles) #2 behind Tillman (i.e., Jimenez or Santana...even if neither of those players would be considered good number 2's in a better rotation). The O's have enough fodder for the middle/back end of the rotation.

Plenty of people seemed to be happy to usher Guthrie out of town. Maybe I'm misreading the numbers, but I don't see a whole lot of difference between Guthrie and Arroyo apart from (1) age and (2) run support.

Arroyo's old, and he's potentially incendiary in the AL East. If the O's are going to spend FA money, I'd like to see them spring for someone who could be a legitimate (Orioles) #2 behind Tillman (i.e., Jimenez or Santana...even if neither of those players would be considered good number 2's in a better rotation). The O's have enough fodder for the middle/back end of the rotation.

If it were just money, I'd be chasing Jiminez or Santana, but I hate the idea of giving up that pick. As to whether we have enough fodder for the back of the rotation, that's what we thought in 2012 and 2013. Both times, we had to make trades to bolster the rotation in the second half and replace several starters. I'd rather have a little more security this year. As to Arroyo, it depends how much $$$ and years it takes to get him, but I have no doubt he can do OK in the AL East, just like Saunders and Feldman did.

As to Guthrie, you're right, Arroyo probably won't be better than he was for us. But Guthrie was our best pitcher a couple of years, and far from the worst in the others. The Royals got a good deal on him IMO.

Just say NO!

Pickaxe.jpg

I wouldn't mind Guts in our rotation now. It would be great to have some one for the front of the rotation but there isn't any one. You can pretend Jimenez and Santana are, but they have plenty of question marks, cost a pick, plus more money, and want 4-5 years. I consider Norris the #5 SP. Arroyo would give 200 IP similar to Feldman as our#4. If we had Feldman from the beginning, last year, think of how many GS by the likes of Arrieta, Britton, Garcia etc. we might have won.

I wouldn't mind Guts in our rotation now. It would be great to have some one for the front of the rotation but there isn't any one. You can pretend Jimenez and Santana are, but they have plenty of question marks, cost a pick, plus more money, and want 4-5 years. I consider Norris the #5 SP. Arroyo would give 200 IP similar to Feldman as our#4. If we had Feldman from the beginning, last year, think of how many GS by the likes of Arrieta, Britton, Garcia etc. we might have won.

Did you read what I wrote?

I'm presupposing that the yearly salary gap between Santana/Jimenez and Arroyo isn't that wide (i.e., whereas I'd expect both Santana and Jimenez to sign in the neighborhood of $15 million per year, I'm guessing that Arroyo will cost at least $11-12 per year). If the difference is only $3-4 million annually, I'd rather go after the better pitchers.

On the flip side, if Arroyo makes himself a "bargain bin" option relative to the rest of the starters out there (i.e., $7-8 million per year), then he becomes more palatable. I still don't think that the track record of a 37 year old starter is all that significant in this context, though. He could break down at any time. Most players do or have by that point.

Bronson Arroyo - S - Reds

CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that Bronson Arroyo's representatives talked about their client with the Dodgers after they lost out on the Masahiro Tanaka bidding.

However, Heyman adds that it's "uncertain" how interested the Dodgers are. The market was at a standstill while everyone waited for Tanaka to make a decision, but now that that's over with some of the other pitcher dominoes should fall. Arroyo has drawn interest from the Angels, Orioles and Twins.

Related: Dodgers

I guess we can kiss him goodbye if the Dodgers want him.

As I've said multiple times (perhaps even in this thread), Arroyo will have to resign himself to starting the year in the bullpen (or minors) if he wants to be a Dodger. It's far more likely that he'll sign with a team that guarantees him a spot in the rotation rather than a fight for the 5th spot. The only way he would go to the Dodgers at this point in his career is if they offered him $20M a year to be their clubhouse guitarist.

I've been advocating for Arroyo a lot lately, but I could also support giving up a draft pick for Ubaldo Jimenez. He certainly pitched like a number one starter for most of last season. His velocity is down from where it was during his peak in Colorado and it will probably never return, but his performance last year suggests that he's become a more complete pitcher.

Ervin Santana, though, would be a terrible choice. Even during his better seasons he's given up huge home run totals in relatively pitcher-friendly parks. He's a terrible fit for OPACY. Arroyo and Ubaldo will also give up their share of home runs, but they have already shown that they can succeed in smaller parks.

I like Arroyo because he can eat innings and doesn't cost a pick. But anything more than two years is a dubious contract. Ubaldo probably offers the highest ceiling of the guys costing you a pick. If he pitches like a #2 I don't think too many people will mind losing the pick. But he can just as easily act like a moron and make everyone five years from now point out the top prospects that could have been taken with that pick. I have a hard time believing that Ervin has "figured" it out at 31. He's just way too up and down for me. And his up doesn't blow your hair back. Kendrys Morales probably offers the least risk of any of the guys that cost a pick.

As I've said multiple times (perhaps even in this thread), Arroyo will have to resign himself to starting the year in the bullpen (or minors) if he wants to be a Dodger.

John Lennon, Paul McCartney, and the entire Orioles team, all at once in a serenade to Bronson Arroyo ........

........ Well there's gonna be a time, when we're going to change your mind, so you might as well resign yourself to us, oh yeah ........

Archived