Per Connolly: O's intensifying interest in Morales (Roch says he's hearing no)

VeveJones007

I'd let him opt out after Year 1 or Year 2 if we had assurances he would reject the QO.

If we pay below market for a one year deal while moving up draft slots, I'm good with that.

I would almost prefer this since Morales probably opt out after a strong performance in either year 1 or year 2. But if Morales was great in Year 1 and did not have an opt out and was poor in Year 2, then he would probably hang around for year 3.

Are we allowed to write it in his contract that he automatically rejects the QO if he opts out? :D

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're positive Almanzar won't hit well enough? I don't know, but I trust them to make the right decision. I like Pearce because he covers the COF and 1B, and could be a decent platoon with Lough in LF. I like Peguero because he is a RH bat, plays all 3 OF, could become a starter down the road if we keep him, and is a good PR.

Not positive, but that's why I think they'll keep him through most of camp regardless.

If Colvin doesn't require an opt-out, or is willing to have his opt-out in June or July, I'm fine with still bringing him in.

I don't disagree, but just don't see the room. If Markakis is actually heavier (which I think is HUGE) and Lough isn't a complete bust, we should be fine with Morales.

I still wouldn't mind one more bullpen arm or a J Niemann/J Santana lottery ticket but besides that, I think we would be set.

Ok. Now I'm at the point where I want more news on this. Solid teaser, Connolly. What else ya got??

Yeah-it is like xmas as of late in Oriole land...I am still expecting to wake up one morning to news that Angelos is voiding the last contract:)

Assuming health, I'm taking 2 of Young/Reimold/Pearce over Almanzar without question.

Healthy or not, I'd want to see Reimold raking in spring training before I put him on the team. Health aside, he hasn't been the same guy for years. I'm not sure health automatically means he gets that talent back.

I'm cool with whatever they want to do at this point.

I really want Morales though. We could potentially get him at his healthiest since his injury and in a smaller ballpark. A real bonafide DH and professional hitter.

Me too. Whatever Dan wants. Whatever.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Orioles and Mariners both have Morales over Cruz on their priority target rankings according to multiple sources and both still involved</p>— JIM BOWDEN (@JimBowdenESPNxm) <a href="

">February 21, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived