Fan Graphs: Getting the Extra Year of Team Control is Good and Proper Business (Schoop)

weams

Just because this argument for keep Schoop is ridiculous, does not make it incorrect if the Orioles do keep him up.

I think Schoop is going down for a bit, but I also love what I have seen of him this spring. It's a shame that the message in the article is so garbled, a good one could have been written on the topic. The idea that disregarding control of team asset is wise if foolish. Matt Wieters was kept down as long as he was in order to assure his non-super two status. Not his year of control. And yes, it was a different time for this team.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My opinion is that these few extra weeks are every bit as meaningful as the last few weeks of the season. Every game matters. If the team believes Schoops presence is worth even just 2 more wins over Lombardozzi in that time period than its worth bringing him up. We have no clue what ourplayoff odds will be in 6 or 7 years, but we do know that THIS year we have a very good chance. We need to do whatever it takes to make the playoffs THIS year, not 7 years from now.

Now, if Machado was fully healthy and Flaherty could be our 2b rather than 3rd, then im not making this argument because I really like flash and I dont think right schoop is that much of an upgrade to waste that extra year. Lombardozzi or weeks, or whoever, I feel do not offset the schoop situation.

My opinion is that these few extra weeks are every bit as meaningful as the last few weeks of the season. Every game matters. If the team believes Schoops presence is worth even just 2 more wins over Lombardozzi in that time period than its worth bringing him up. We have no clue what ourplayoff odds will be in 6 or 7 years, but we do know that THIS year we have a very good chance. We need to do whatever it takes to make the playoffs THIS year, not 7 years from now.

Now, if Machado was fully healthy and Flaherty could be our 2b rather than 3rd, then im not making this argument because I really like flash and I dont think right schoop is that much of an upgrade to waste that extra year. Lombardozzi or weeks, or whoever, I feel do not offset the schoop situation.

There is no way that Schoop is worth two wins more then Lombardozzi over the course of a couple of weeks. It is doubtful he is worth two more wins then Lomardozzi over the course of a season.

There is no way that Schoop is worth two wins more then Lombardozzi over the course of a couple of weeks. It is doubtful he is worth two more wins then Lomardozzi over the course of a season.

With Flaherty at 3b and Lombardozzi at second we've effectively downgraded two positions, not one. It's a different era than the Wieters decision and I'm in the camp we should start the season with the best team. As you said, maybe we send down Schoop later anyways.

You are taking about statistics that somehow you think correspond to actual wins. WAR actually isn't really wins over replacement. It is a guess. You can't just add up the difference in WAR between two teams and figure out how many games difference each team won.

Schoop could be worth 4 more wins in that period over Lomardozzi if he gets hits in the right situtation and the games are close. Or he could be worth zero more wins if all the games are blow-outs.

With Flaherty at 3b and Lombardozzi at second we've effectively downgraded two positions, not one. It's a different era than the Wieters decision and I'm in the camp we should start the season with the best team. As you said, maybe we send down Schoop later anyways.

I was just saying Lombardozzi over Schoop isn't a two win in a month situation. That is more like a Pie over Trout situation.

Well, Trea's "logic" is obviously as ridiculous as ever.

But putting that aside, I will continue to argue against the "one size fits all" approach that some take to this. If you are a rebuilding team, than absolutely I agree with it. But if you are expecting to be in a dogfight to the end, as the Orioles certainly expect themselves to be, then you need to have your best 25-man roster up for the entire season. If that includes Schoop, so be it.

Now maybe they feel he's not that guy right now, and I'd certainly be OK with it.

But he shouldn't be left off of the team for service time issues. 5-6 years is an enternity in baseball. Who knows what his fortunes or the team's fortunes will look like in that time.

This.

Plus it's not a few weeks. It's a month plus that extra time. In a pennant race, that could be costly.

You are taking about statistics that somehow you think correspond to actual wins. WAR actually isn't really wins over replacement. It is a guess. You can't just add up the difference in WAR between two teams and figure out how many games difference each team won.

Schoop could be worth 4 more wins in that period over Lomardozzi if he gets hits in the right situtation and the games are close. Or he could be worth zero more wins if all the games are blow-outs.

Or Schoop could bomb and cost the O's a couple ball games. There are a wide range of outcomes possible over a two week sample size.

I know exactly what I am talking about.

I know he has performed well this spring, and I have been a long time advocate of his, but you guys do realize that Schoop isn't likely to perform much different from the other choices this season right?

I think we all hope that he does but his resume doesn't scream immediate impact player.

I still want him up to start the season but ultimately it has a small degree of likelihood of being a difference maker.

What's the argument against using Schoop until Manny comes back from the DL? When Manny returns, you can easily send Schoop back down and still get the extra year's time.

I don't know what the argument against Schoop is as it seems common sense to just leave him until Manny gets back. Perhaps they don't know how the rules work.

Or Schoop could bomb and cost the O's a couple ball games. There are a wide range of outcomes possible over a two week sample size.

I know exactly what I am talking about.

You said there is no way Schoop could be worth 2 more wins than Lomardozzi . Well Schoop could hit .600 over 10 days so there is a way.

Archived