2014 Chris Tillman Today

Il BuonO

I'm rather worried about Tillman. The luck can't last forever and his peripherals are not going to sustain him at this ERA, much less the ones he's posted the last couple of seasons...(which also were well, well above his FIP of course). Can someone talk me off the ledge/convince me why I shouldn't be rather worried/pessimistic about Tillman?

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm rather worried about Tillman. The luck can't last forever and his peripherals are not going to sustain him at this ERA, much less the ones he's posted the last couple of seasons...(which also were well, well above his FIP of course). Can someone talk me off the ledge/convince me why I shouldn't be rather worried/pessimistic about Tillman?

Looking only at FIP is a poor idea. Some guys (Tillman, Guthrie) outperform it. Some guys (Arrieta) are usually much worse than FIP suggests.

That said, Tillman hasn't been impressive since Buck ran him into the ground in BOS.

I could see this performance coming from his last start, he got lucky the last time and now he didn't...but in both he's been hit hard.

I agree, his last start was not nearly as good as the result. He was lucky this time to keep it to four runs. He did sharpen up as the game went on, but was way off for the first three innings. It took him until the third inning before he threw any off speed pitch for a strike.

I don't see his SO numbers changing until he gets better command of his secondaries, but he's progressing each start so it could come.

That's what I wrote back on June 27th and coincidentally he had command of just about everything for most of the night. Not all night but all three pitches were there at various points throughout the night.

Now would be a good time for him to go 8+ tonight.

He probably could have gone another if we weren't tied. It was good to see him getting stronger later into the game. Reminded off the old Chris.

Looked pretty good tonight. For all of the concern (and I have some too), he has a 2.2 ERA over his last 6 starts and 40ish innings.

Btw, Thorne just interviewed him. Tillman is a big damn dude. Tall with very wide shoulders. He is so proportional that I didn't realize how big he really is. Dude is a man. Pretty funny too.

Good stat. Also, don't look now, but his ERA is slowly creeping down toward the 4.00 line. It's at 4.11 after tonight's start.

o

OAKLAND ATHLETICS O (JULY 18th)

Coco Crisp - CF

John Jaso - DH

Yoenis Cespedes - LF

Brandon Moss - RF

Josh Donaldson - 3B

Stephen Vogt - 1B

Jed Lowrie - SS

Derek Norris - C

Andy Parrino - 2B

Jeff Samardzija - RHP (3-8, 2.78 ERA) *

* CHICAGO CUBSO (2-7, 2.83 ERA) OOOOO OAKLAND ATHLETICSO (1-1, 2.40 ERA)

http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

6.67 innings.

2 runs.

Archived