Jim Johnson

Jonesy10

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have heard a few people make this claim, but I digress:

1. What evidence was there to suggest that Porcello was available and that Johnson would have gotten it done?

2. Would the Tigers have been able to get a better deal if Porcello was available?

3. Even if it would have gotten it done and Porcello was available, what reason do we have to think the Orioles were going to trade Johnson after the 2012 season?

Well said. This comes up every once in a while, but there was never any evidence that this deal was ever a real possibility.

Well said. This comes up every once in a while, but there was never any evidence that this deal was ever a real possibility.

I am sure if all the Oriole fans had just wanted it bad enough.

Detroit's front office is very strikeout oriented when it comes to the pitching staff, I don't think Johnson would have been acceptable.

I like Jim he was a GOOD Oriole but IMHO he's done no thank you.

I don't think he is done, I think he is done for this season.

He can and probably will be back to somewhere near his career numbers for some team that gets him next season for a quarter of what he is making now.

I have heard a few people make this claim, but I digress:

1. What evidence was there to suggest that Porcello was available and that Johnson would have gotten it done?

2. Would the Tigers have been able to get a better deal if Porcello was available?

3. Even if it would have gotten it done and Porcello was available, what reason do we have to think the Orioles were going to trade Johnson after the 2012 season?

Figured I'd get some touchy responses (although this one isn't so much). It's all fun guys, relax. Playing armchair GM is pretty much what this forum and many other forums do by nature.

(I'm making the claim because I actually started the thread about it, you can look it up)

1) http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1486186-detroit-tigers-rumors-why-rick-porcello-shouldnt-be-traded-for-jim-johnson

Also others around this time were referencing it.

2) a better deal than Jim Johnson, who was at the time highly lauded and just saved over 50 games? I'm not sure but I don't think so.

3) No reason. My point then and now was it would have been a good idea IMO.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Figured I'd get some touchy responses (although this one isn't so much). It's all fun guys, relax. Playing armchair GM is pretty much what this forum and many other forums do by nature.

(I'm making the claim because I actually started the thread about it, you can look it up)

1) http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1486186-detroit-tigers-rumors-why-rick-porcello-shouldnt-be-traded-for-jim-johnson

2) a better deal than Jim Johnson, who was at the time highly lauded and just saved over 50 games? I'm not sure but I don't think so.

There was smoke, but I think the smoke came from members of the media that were trying to find the Tigers a closer.

JJ doesn't fit the mold the Tigers are looking for. After all if they wanted Porcello out of the rotation and a GB guy closing (in front of their horrendous infield defense in 2013) why not just move Porcello to the bullpen?

Interestingly, this article is expressly claiming that the Tigers wanted Hardy for Porcello and the Orioles countered or at least said they would consider Jimmy Johnson, (The other JJ). The article also counts the numerous reasons the Orioles should do it but Detroit should not. Your quote makes it seem that you were for the idea and our GM wasn't smart enough to do it. The article you link makes no such claim. Not criticizing....just sayin.

FWIW, I wasn't even really taking a jab at Dan, because I love the work he's done and I've enjoyed our renaissance so much. But that side, wouldn't it have been a better choice?

I am sure if all the Oriole fans had just wanted it bad enough.

Detroit's front office is very strikeout oriented when it comes to the pitching staff, I don't think Johnson would have been acceptable.

Before Detroit traded Fister, there were often internet rumours that Porcello was for sale.

For many reasons.

We had an over valued asset and many thought that Detroit was a closer away from a title. Important blogger types thought this was a match made in heaven. I have no evidence that the two teams even talked about those two players and you and I both know that even if it was super smart to do, the 2012 Orioles could not trade Jim Johnson after the first winning season, and playoff attending team, in a decade and a half. Even if it was REAL smart.

FWIW, I wasn't even really taking a jab at Dan, because I love the work he's done and I've enjoyed our renaissance so much. But that side, wouldn't it have been a better choice?

Absolutely. It would have been. I think mostly we were exercising our humor chops.

And I have no problem reporting to you as the Emperor.

Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown.

Interestingly, this article is expressly claiming that the Tigers wanted Hardy for Porcello and the Orioles countered or at least said they would consider Jimmy Johnson, (The other JJ). The article also counts the numerous reasons the Orioles should do it but Detroit should not. Your quote makes it seem that you were for the idea and our GM wasn't smart enough to do it. The article you link makes no such claim. Not criticizing....just sayin.

No member of that lauded team was being traded, especially not our amazing closer. Grated, we exited early because of him, but his regular season counting stats were superb. The smartest guy in the world could not have traded him that off-season without tar and feathers attached.

Heck, people were enraged that the Sheriff was not invited back, and instead his job was being given to a utility player who was so unimportant to the team that he was called upon to pitch.

I believe we all gave Jim too much credit when he was good and are far to harsh that he has regressed to where many thought he might.

JJ was awesome in 2011 and 2012 and deserved all the credit he got. I think he got a bit too much blame last year, and was a victim of his own past success in that expectations were set unrealistically high. This year he has just flat stunk. I suspect he may be hurt.

JJ was awesome in 2011 and 2012 and deserved all the credit he got. I think he got a bit too much blame last year, and was a victim of his own past success in that expectations were set unrealistically high. This year he has just flat stunk. I suspect he may be hurt.

so you think the birds should bring him back and maybe by august they have another weapon in the pen.

I would trade Jim Johnson at this point for...

Tommy Hunter

David Lough

Steve Clevenger

and maybe Matusz

I think JJ can be straightened out and useful, and being back to his home organization may help. Not saying make him the closer, but we have some dead wood laying around.

Say what you want about Buck..but Joseph is really coming into focus as the best catcher we have. Any other manager would have him behind Hundly right now.

Archived