Jim Johnson

Jonesy10

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Absolutely. And we should make him a starter. And go with an eight man rotation.

I wouldn't go that far. But if he isn't completely shattered, he might work out in the middle of the BP. Humility isn't always a bad thing.

No thanks. Buck will immediately install him as closer.

You might be surprised. You might be surprised why he was traded after Dan said he was a core member moving forward. Maybe not, but I think that Buck is not nearly as inflexible there if not forced to be by a huge closer's contract. And 100 saves trailing.

You might be surprised. You might be surprised why he was traded after Dan said he was a core member moving forward. Maybe not, but I think that Buck is not nearly as inflexible there if not forced to be by a huge closer's contract. And 100 saves trailing.

Buck has enough respect of everyone in the game to remove JJ from the closer role if he thinks that's the right move.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• He couldn't command anything last night.   Again, I'd rather have him miss somewhere with 100 MPH to someone who's swings are screaming I CAN'T HANDLE THIS VELOCITY rather than run the risk of hanging a splitter and giving Tucker the chance to hit something at a velocity that anyone in the MLB can handle. Fine, if you want to make him chase, throw a shoulder high fastball.  Throw one in the dirt.  Set up outside so if he misses the corner of the plate, hopefully it runs outside.  I understand the concept of not having to have it in the zone when Tucker's behind in the count but the battle is 75% won when you realize Tucker can't catch up and another fastball, even if it misses the target, stands a better chance of putting him away or inducing weak contact rather than something at 89 MPH.  I'll take 100, 101 all day every day, ANYWHERE, especially when the rest of his stuff isn't sharp.   That's the thing, 100, 101 doesn't have to be sharp or precisely located to be effective.  That splitter had to be precise on a night where precision wasn't there for Bautista.
    • Booo!!! Boooo!!!   I am an Ole Miss class of ‘89 grad. Once they go pro, I root for Ole Miss and State players. 
    • I agree, bury one in the dirt.  I don't think he necessarily hung it, but it wasn't a sharp splitter.  IIRC, it was too high up in the zone and rather flat.   But yeah, @Sports Guygets it, Palmer gets it, and as much as I love Palmer I want to vomit every time I hear him say "...speeds the bat head up."  ...I mean, Tucker wasn't handling the fastball at all.  The whole situation screamed that he couldn't get around on it or even make solid contact.  So why would you give him something 11 mph slower?  Make him beat your best stuff, the stuff he's showing that he can't handle it.  Bautista didn't have great command of practically anything last night, so if he's going to miss with something it should have it to be 100 mph gas somewhere near the zone rather than a flat-ish splitter that doesn't bite hard.   You bring up good points that they did the same thing on Vazquez and Alvarez, however Alvarez is a top 10 hitter in the game.  He's probably 3rd in the MVP voting in a race where the two other guys are putting up historic, unbelievable seasons.   Tucker, while a good hitter, isn't in the same class as Alvarez.   Hyde brought short relievers in the middle of the game when he should have had Tate go for 2, maybe 3 if he's efficient  to bridge to the back of the bullpen.  
    • The very well rested BP blew lead after lead, offense scores 10 runs and yet it’s the managers fault.  This is hilarious.  
    • They were going to the splitter because he couldn’t command the fastball. They were pitching scared. Got to trust your stuff. Pitchers have off-nights all the time and obviously no one is perfect but when a guy is two days late on your fastball, even if he knows it’s coming, you have to try to go outside the zone and make him chase. They couldn’t do that because going anywhere away from the mitt might have resulted in another wild pitch.    Adley digs, blocks, saves the ball as well as any catcher that I’ve seen in an Orioles uniform and maybe as well as anyone in baseball right now (perhaps even recent memory) but you can’t preserve something if you have no chance at it. 101 over everyone’s head brings in another run I believe (I think they had first and third in the Tucker AB).    I’m sure there are reasons for the sequencing of pitchers (and pitches) and I didn’t mean to come off as openly bashing BH. He’s done an absolute superb job this year. Players have to make plays. It just seemed to me that using Baumann to start the fifth would have made more sense given that they had just put up a 5 spot and he was pitching well enough to continue. Letting Perez start the next inning or even letting Baker start the next inning made more sense to me than the way Perez, Baker, Tate were used.    Felix narrowly escaped the 8th after throwing one to the backstop. Given his recent health concerns and history of being wild you HAVE to have someone ready to come in if he is ineffective. Yes, if he throws Tucker a couple of 100+mph pitches instead of the splitter I probably don’t start this thread. In truth though, I actually started it in the 8th inning and had to run the dogs outside.     
    • Contrasting style of opponent this week.  Need to play much better up front.    If Dobbins can get some key 1st downs especially on 3rd would be huge. 
  • Popular Contributors