Jim Johnson

Jonesy10

so you think the birds should bring him back and maybe by august they have another weapon in the pen.

Frobby said he suspected Johnson was hurt. Without knowing what's wrong with him it may be premature to declare him a weapon in two months.

I would trade Jim Johnson at this point for...

Tommy Hunter

David Lough

Steve Clevenger

and maybe Matusz

I think JJ can be straightened out and useful, and being back to his home organization may help. Not saying make him the closer, but we have some dead wood laying around.

Say what you want about Buck..but Joseph is really coming into focus as the best catcher we have. Any other manager would have him behind Hundly right now.

Any other manager would have plucked a guy out of the minors at 28 (where he'd been OPSing .686) and made him the starting catcher for the major league team over a guy who has a six-year MLB career of some value? And this is the same player who spent his age 27 season at AA where he played more games at other positions (DH/1B/LF - 71) than catching (64). And the same guy who has begun his MLB career by going 5-for-40. Hundley's MLB OPS, primarily in pitcher-friendly PETCO, is higher than Joseph's AAA OPS.

I think the truth is closer to "it's very likely that NO major league manager would have Caleb Joseph as the regular catcher right now."

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Surprised to see him booed.

I was wondering what reception he got at OPACY, because it is not on Fox here and I was not listening at the time. I kinda wish he was not booed. It obviously did not end very well in Baltimore, but he was here for a long time and did a lot of good things.

As happy as I was to see Lough hit the home run and have a good moment, I really feel for Jim Johnson, and I'm not just saying that because I rooted for him, defended him, and still like the guy. Just watching him, I really feel for him. I don't know if it's a case of him being overused the last few years, if he's hurt, if it's all in his head, but whatever it is, something is wrong, and nothing is working for him. I can root against a lot of guys and find reasons to dislike certain guys even when they're not playing the Orioles and I obligatorily would root against them, but not Jim Johnson. I feel for the guy.

JJ was awesome in 2011 and 2012 and deserved all the credit he got. I think he got a bit too much blame last year, and was a victim of his own past success in that expectations were set unrealistically high. This year he has just flat stunk. I suspect he may be hurt.

I was very sorry that he did not pitch last evening.

As happy as I was to see Lough hit the home run and have a good moment, I really feel for Jim Johnson, and I'm not just saying that because I rooted for him, defended him, and still like the guy. Just watching him, I really feel for him. I don't know if it's a case of him being overused the last few years, if he's hurt, if it's all in his head, but whatever it is, something is wrong, and nothing is working for him. I can root against a lot of guys and find reasons to dislike certain guys even when they're not playing the Orioles and I obligatorily would root against them, but not Jim Johnson. I feel for the guy.

This. He looked so discouraged on the FOX broadcast after the inning. I've never seen him show that much emotion. He seemingly liked playing for the O's a lot, gets traded to the A's who now want nothing to do with him, and then comes back to Baltimore and gives up a HR to his first batter. I don't know if he's screwed up mentally and/or physically but he definitely is not right. That being said, I wouldn't be against the O's trading for him if the price isn't much and they eat most of the salary, and I wouldn't be surprised either. Webb and O'Day can't pitch every single game. We need another (potential) trust worthy 7th/8th inning reliever.

This. He looked so discouraged on the FOX broadcast after the inning. I've never seen him show that much emotion. He seemingly liked playing for the O's a lot, gets traded to the A's who now want nothing to do with him, and then comes back to Baltimore and gives up a HR to his first batter. I don't know if he's screwed up mentally and/or physically but he definitely is not right. That being said, I wouldn't be against the O's trading for him if the price isn't much and they eat most of the salary, and I wouldn't be surprised either. Webb and O'Day can't pitch every single game. We need another (potential) trust worthy 7th/8th inning reliever.

This. I feel for the guy.

We have our own JJ. He should be back today. Hopefully, he's fixed.

Archived