Hardy Extension Announced Today

WarehouseChatter

I'm not terribly against this, but when have you ever heard of a guy in his 30s with back problems waking up one day and proclaiming his back is cured? I think the best we can hope for is that Hardy's back doesn't get much worse. Almost everyone plays less often as they enter their 30s and Hardy hasn't been a model of health throughout his career.

Never, but the deal is low enough (relative to other FA deals) that Hardy doesn't need to do much to justify the deal. Average cost per win is 5.5 million this year. Probably will be 7 million by the time Hardy's deal is up. And it's not like we've got the next man up knocking the door down from AAA. I posted a rough projection earlier using his 2015 Steamer as a baseline, and it seemed to be a neutral deal, perhaps even favoring the Orioles a bit.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it Risky, yes, it is.

Sometimes crossing the street can be risky.

However, some of us, remember the string of shortstops after Tejeda's first stint with the club, and that is a very bad taste, that nobody wants to taste again.

The FA market of affordable quality 3rd and SS is lacking.

I think this was a reasonable option, and there weren't a ton of other options if you wanted to replace Hardy with another reasonably good hitting and very good fielding SS. But they could have gone a little further outside the box by acquiring a good-field, no-hit SS on the cheap and used the savings on, say, a better left fielder.

Hooray! I was worried he'd sign with the Yankees.

If Hardy had done that, he would have been going from a solid, young organization like the Orioles to a crappy, aging, overrated organization like the Yankees.

A few years ago, that statement may have sounded absurd.

No longer.

Never, but the deal is low enough (relative to other FA deals) that Hardy doesn't need to do much to justify the deal. Average cost per win is 5.5 million this year. Probably will be 7 million by the time Hardy's deal is up. And it's not like we've got the next man up knocking the door down from AAA. I posted a rough projection earlier using his 2015 Steamer as a baseline, and it seemed to be a neutral deal, perhaps even favoring the Orioles a bit.

Yes, as far as free agent deals go it's pretty likely to be fair. We'll see what the O's payroll is going forward, and then make the call as to how many roster spots they can devote to players on fair free agent contracts.

Webbrick with a negative reaction....who woulda thunk it? :rolleyes:

In my defense I was strongly supportive of the Ubaldo signing

Still think it might work out but the Orioles track record with any kind of conract even approaching big dollars aint so hot.

Just think the team needs to get younger and more athletic. Make the QO get the pick and select the next JJ Hardy

The Red Sox had a great deal on Pedroia when he was way underpaid in his MVP year

so they sentimantily signed him to long term deal that is already looking bad.

Overpaying JJ to reward him for being underpaid the past 4 years is just bad business.

But they aren't overpaying him. He'd get more as a free agent. Very fair deal.

In my defense I was strongly supportive of the Ubaldo signing

Still think it might work out but the Orioles track record with any kind of conract even approaching big dollars aint so hot.

Just think the team needs to get younger and more athletic. Make the QO get the pick and select the next JJ Hardy

Ha, that's not a good defense.

What does Pedroia have to do with this conversation? He signed a 7/$100M deal. Hardy signed a 3/$39M deal. The Hardy deal is much more low risk.

BTW you still have addressed who you would install at SS.

I think it would be Manny. Don't want to put words in his

mouth though.

Some of us remember Brob's 4 year contract too. It's not about finding the best shortstop for $40 mil. It's about fielding the best team for our $100 mil plus payroll. I think you have to assume that Hardy's performance will decline with age. It's a gamble to be sure. I probably would not risk it but I appreciate the security of knowing our shortstop next year.

Is it Risky, yes, it is.

Sometimes crossing the street can be risky.

However, some of us, remember the string of shortstops after Tejeda's first stint with the club, and that is a very bad taste, that nobody wants to taste again.

The FA market of affordable quality 3rd and SS is lacking.

I think this was a reasonable option, and there weren't a ton of other options if you wanted to replace Hardy with another reasonably good hitting and very good fielding SS. But they could have gone a little further outside the box by acquiring a good-field, no-hit SS on the cheap and used the savings on, say, a better left fielder.

There is something to be said for not making things too difficult for yourself as a GM. There are still plenty of pending roster decisions in potential need of creative solutions.

Archived