Chris Davis received an exemption from MLB to use Adderall in 2015

Greg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why? Chris is the one who didn't apply for an exemption last year. How is that MLB's fault?

I don't really buy that he didn't reapply because he was grossly incompetent and just forgot or even that he didn't think he needed it anymore.

I saw supposedly he didn't reapply because he was told that MLB was cracking down on exemptions because they think some players have been taking it to gain an advantage (obviously we can only speculate if they all really need it).

It's MLB's task of proving that some are abusing the use of Adderall. My personal opinion is that some are. I think they have done a poor job of it so far and allowing a player to legally take a drug that he has just been suspended for simply because of un-filed paperwork looks bad in my eyes.

Guest rochester

It would not surprise me if the reason he did not apply is that Chris is the type of person that really does not want foreign substances, such as pills, in his body. I can only guess that he was under so much stress from underperforming this season that he made a really bad and dumb decision.

From what I have read Chris had an exemption in Texas. Then the MLB changed its policy before the 2012 season and tried to move players off of Adderall. To get approved you had to go through an interview process. Some guys continued to get approved, some didn't. Chris was not approved in 2012 or 2013. He didn't apply for 2014 because how do you tell MLB that you need Adderall when you just hit 53 homers.

Now he had a bad year and its easier to prove that he needs it. So he got approved.

From what I have read Chris had an exemption in Texas. Then the MLB changed its policy before the 2012 season and tried to move players off of Adderall. To get approved you had to go through an interview process. Some guys continued to get approved, some didn't. Chris was not approved in 2012 or 2013. He didn't apply for 2014 because how do you tell MLB that you need Adderall when you just hit 53 homers.

Now he had a bad year and its easier to prove that he needs it. So he got approved.

This is what I understand to be accurate. But honestly, I do not know.

It would not surprise me if the reason he did not apply is that Chris is the type of person that really does not want foreign substances, such as pills, in his body. I can only guess that he was under so much stress from underperforming this season that he made a really bad and dumb decision.

I can buy that.

Factor in having a baby and all that goes with that, using smokeless tobacco, and relying on caffeine to make up the difference... And you have anything but a routine athletes sorely need.

I'm not claiming Davis experienced this, but some guys see a loss of testosterone when they have a baby. I did, and it really messes with you. If Davis had this, he'd be lost IMO.

So he didn't have approval in 2013 and had a great year and didn't have approval in 2014 and had a down year. My complete guess is that he was struggling badly last year and probably went through a dozen or so things to try an turn his season around. Extra bp, less bp, no bp, lift more weights, lift less weights, put socks on left foot first rather than the usual right foot, etc. and maybe none of it was working and he got desperate and tried Adderall again? Who knows?

My hope would be that him being allowed to take Adderall this coming season would be just more of a placebo effect. Yes, it obviously improves focus like it is supposed to but maybe it will be something like a security blanket and that will greatly assist his natural ability to hit much better this upcoming season?

Just a crazy theory on my part.

Why will he be the poster boy for amphetamines? It's been reported that he hadn't had a TUE since 2012. Since he got busted last season, I think it's safe to assume he wasn't using them in 2013.

His suspension was the result of his second failure.

Maybe both failures occurred in 2014 maybe one them them was in 2013.

We don't know.

Im sick to death of players looking for an "edge". Clearly he was NOT given a Dr.'s prescription before and tried to use it anyway,it was a banned substance . This guy feels that it gives him an slight

advantage,and clearly it does. Whats good for Chris Davis may NOT be good for baseball.

I'm not so sure about this, Roy. He let his exemption expire, but that doesn't mean he didn't have a doctor's prescription. In fact, I think it is very likely that he had a prescription the entire time. It doesn't sound logical for the doctor to prescribe it, pull the prescription, then prescribe it again.

Archived