Chris Davis received an exemption from MLB to use Adderall in 2015

Greg

Im sick to death of players looking for an "edge". Clearly he was NOT given a Dr.'s prescription before and tried to use it anyway,it was a banned substance . This guy feels that it gives him an slight

advantage,and clearly it does. Whats good for Chris Davis may NOT be good for baseball.

This is what Buck says about it:

"I don't know if it's the same thing. It's a good thing. Yeah, he told me he was approved for it."

Makes you wonder why he wasn't approved in 2014.

"It makes you wonder why publicly," Showalter said.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is what Buck says about it:

"I don't know if it's the same thing. It's a good thing. Yeah, he told me he was approved for it."

Makes you wonder why he wasn't approved in 2014.

"It makes you wonder why publicly," Showalter said.

He's not paranoid.

He's not.

He just isn't, OK?!

Im sick to death of players looking for an "edge". Clearly he was NOT given a Dr.'s prescription before and tried to use it anyway,it was a banned substance . This guy feels that it gives him an slight

advantage,and clearly it does. Whats good for Chris Davis may NOT be good for baseball.

You wouldn't have to look into it a lot to know that having a prescription does not automatically give you an exemption. Whether or not he had a prescription for it last year, he didn't have an exemption. As everyone who has paid attention knows, he had an exemption in Texas but has not had one in Baltimore for a couple of years.

You wouldn't have to look into it a lot to know that having a prescription does not automatically give you an exemption. Whether or not he had a prescription for it last year, he didn't have an exemption. As everyone who has paid attention knows, he had an exemption in Texas but has not had one in Baltimore for a couple of years.

So then 2013 was clean?

He previously had an exemption. Presumably this is because he was diagnosed ADHD. Moreover, he presumably took Adderall that was prescribed to him by a physician when he was busted. Accordingly, if he has a doctor that says that he legitimately needs it, I don't see the problem. I am sure the MLB scrutinized the heck out of his application and they were fine with it. Just because he was busted, doesn't mean he didn't have a prescription.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but clearly is a strong word. Do you know that to be the case? Maybe he just neglected to get the paper-work done with MLB?

So he didn't have approval in 2013 and had a great year and didn't have approval in 2014 and had a down year. My complete guess is that he was struggling badly last year and probably went through a dozen or so things to try an turn his season around. Extra bp, less bp, no bp, lift more weights, lift less weights, put socks on left foot first rather than the usual right foot, etc. and maybe none of it was working and he got desperate and tried Adderall again? Who knows?

My hope would be that him being allowed to take Adderall this coming season would be just more of a placebo effect. Yes, it obviously improves focus like it is supposed to but maybe it will be something like a security blanket and that will greatly assist his natural ability to hit much better this upcoming season?

Just a crazy theory on my part.

Whether it has a physical effect or not, as long as he believes he needs, then unfortunately - he needs it.

Why will he be the poster boy for amphetamines? It's been reported that he hadn't had a TUE since 2012. Since he got busted last season, I think it's safe to assume he wasn't using them in 2013.

I think he had a really good year in 2012. He had 20% less AB's than 2013 and if you match the AB's from 2012 to 2013 he would of hit 40 HR's, 100+ RBI's with a line of 270/ 326/ 501 (827).

I'm not staying that he should be the poster boy for amphetamines, but from a media standpoint, I can certainly see how if he has a comeback year while publicly getting TUE then all over BSPN is gonna be stories about "How much does Adderall affect Athletes Performance"... I didnt say it was right or accurate.

He was granted a TUE (therapeutic use exemption) sometime prior to the 2012 season (he hasn't had a TUE since then however). In order for MLB to grant one he would have had to show medical documentation from a doctor that justified its use. So he would have had a previous prescription. And as others have stated, his doctor may have legally prescribed it again but he for one reason or another didn't seek or wasn't granted a TUE.

I doubt that Adderal has much to do with Davis' performance. He had it Texas and he didn't perform all that well. He didn't have it in BAL and he did perform. I doubt he failed the first test in 2013. If he was using it all season he would have failed more than one test that season. My guess is he took it last year to help him cope with the increasing pressure from his struggles with the bat.

I doubt that Adderal has much to do with Davis' performance. He had it Texas and he didn't perform all that well. He didn't have it in BAL and he did perform. I doubt he failed the first test in 2013. If he was using it all season he would have failed more than one test that season. My guess is he took it last year to help him cope with the increasing pressure from his struggles with the bat.
Then he felt like he needed it; therefore he did need it. He took it after he was given a warning. That tells you he was so desperate to take that he was willing to risk his reputation and career.

I agree with what Buck said about it. After all, it IS therapy. MLB once again shows that they are incapable of any degree of expertise in administrating the game of baseball. They do not even have the SAME rules for both leagues, and it goes down hill from there.

Then he felt like he needed it; therefore he did need it. He took it after he was given a warning. That tells you he was so desperate to take that he was willing to risk his reputation and career.
You don't know when he was given the warning. It may be he got it in Texas for not taking it. But the point is it doesn't have a direct effect on his production so why are people getting so bent out of shape over it? The MLB policy is silly if they first allow it, then turn around and deny it, and then turn around and grant it again. What has changed with Davis? Nothing. What has changed is the MLB policy.

Archived