Baldelli revisited

Sports Guy

Their continues to be rumors about Tampa possibly listening to offers for Baldelli.

For the Orioles to acquire him, we would almost certainly have to trade Chris Ray and a starter. They may insist on Loewen BUT i think we could probably give them Penn and i think that offer would be alot for them to say no to.

So, would you guys deal Ray and Penn for Baldelli? Is this something we should push for now or should we just see how things play out for a while?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't do it, but that's because I like Penn almost as much as Loewen, and Penn's value is low right now based on a couple of weeks of ML performance.

I agree with you about Penn...I am not down on him.

My only concern is the health of Rocco.

His contract is great. He is a very good talent. We have a system that is barren when it comes to positional talent but not pitching.

I agree with you about Penn...I am not down on him.

My only concern is the health of Rocco.

His contract is great. He is a very good talent. We have a system that is barren when it comes to positional talent but not pitching.

Rocco's been hurt a lot, but they were all freak plays if I'm not mistaken. So there's that.

I think you have to do this deal. If Bedard, Cabrera and Loewen frame our future pitching, it should not be as hard to find a few #4 or #5 starters out there as opposed to a super-star OF which is what I project Baldelli to be.

The Rays are being absolutely moronic with their OF depth IMO. Why they haven't traded one yet is beyond me. Perhaps they are waiting for another Kazmir for Zambrano offer which will never come.

I still think the Marlins have to be the favorites to get in on this. I mean, right now they have a really good looking young team that has an outside shot at the playoffs this year, and they have Reggie Abercrombie or Alex Sanchez starting in Center Field? They have a ton of young pitching and it seems to make too much since that them and Tampa could pull off a deal.

From our perspective: Ray and Loewen is too much. That may be the type of offer they are looking for (we know Tampa always asks through the roof), but we just can't do that IMO.

Ray and Penn may not be enough, but it is something I would have to consider. Getting Baldelli would also let us deal Gibbons for a power arm in thet bullpen to replace Ray. With a gun to my head, I think I do the Ray-Penn deal for Baldelli, but I'm not sure Tampa takes it.

I would drool over this lineup:

Roberts 2B

Baldelli LF

Markakis RF

Tejada SS

Huff 1B

Hernandez C

Gibbons DH (or Millar if we deal Gibbons for a bullpen arm)

Mora 3B

Patterson CF

If Millar was in there, I'd bat him 8th and Mora 7th. That is a pretty good lineup, and I think Ray/Penn is something to think about. Ray/Loewen is too much, and if that's what it takes, we probably need to back away.

It all depends on how confident they feel Hoey could be ready to close later this season or next.

It would take some big cohones to pull the trigger on this. I like Rocco, but we'd be giving up a lot in Ray and Penn for a guy with "potential." Then we'd have a hole at the closer spot, which would make Baez our closer default until Hoey proves himself. I think it would open up more holes than what it would be worth. I'll stick with the current left field rotation we have.

If Baez can't protect a lead for one inning, why again are we paying him zillions of dollars?

True enough. However, to play devil's advocate, suppose we make the deal, Rocco continues to be an injury ridden guy, and Ray goes on the be Mariano Rivera and Penn turns into a solid starter? Then that moves the D-Rays ahead of us and we are now in 5th place! :eek:

Just kidding! I know you have to take risks to improve, but if I am dealing Ray and Penn, I throw in a third guy and go after Tex or someone of that caliber! Just my opinion.

I'm not really sold on Baldelli. Hes a great kid and has real talent. But that injury history makes me REAL scared. Especially when they are going to be asking for as much as that.

As it stands today, Loewen and Ray are key pieces to the Orioles for the next couple years. So the real question is this: Is Baldelli, alone, worth that risk? Is Baldelli's impact on the line up (a .285 - .300 hitter with 18-25 HR) and his admittedly stellar defense enough to make more of a postivie impact on the team than Loewen AND Ray?

Honestly, I just don't think so. But it is a tough decision.

Archived