Baldelli revisited

Sports Guy

At this point, I just assume to ride these young arms into the season and see what happens.

Benson's injury creates an opening.

When one of Wright/Trachsel gets shelled to start the season, Penn should be ready to go by early June. Then you have Olson, possibly even Liz, waiting to jump for the next poor performer/injury. Obviously, Trachsel is the most likely candidate to get removed; giving us the first glimpse of our "future" rotation.

Bedard, Cabrera, Loewen, Penn and Olson/Liz- thanks to Benson's injury- there's a much higher probability that it will happen.

As I said, I'd rather just throw back the curtains and see what these guys can do- nothing to lose.

We can worry about all these trades later.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At this point, I just assume to ride these young arms into the season and see what happens.

Benson's injury creates an opening.

When one of Wright/Trachsel gets shelled to start the season, Penn should be ready to go by early June. .

I agree with most of your post. I think we should wait and see.

However, I do think that the "implosion/shelling" will force a change well before early June. I'm betting we see him by the end of April/beginning of May.

I agree with most of your post. I think we should wait and see.

However, I do think that the "implosion/shelling" will force a change well before early June. I'm betting we see him by the end of April/beginning of May.

I agree, Trachsel should be on a short leash.

Of course you do it. Penn is a bust. He doesn't have the name of a major league pitcher that Bedard, Cabrera, and Loewen have. They just sound like very good pitchers, and Penn does not. Not to mention he hasn't performed well when he's been up here.

Hopefully on a shorter one than Ortiz was last year...

To continue the metaphor, the Orioles should really have one hand on the collar. And it should be a shock collar. And we should be repeatedly pressing the warning button.

Of course you do it. Penn is a bust. He doesn't have the name of a major league pitcher that Bedard, Cabrera, and Loewen have. They just sound like very good pitchers, and Penn does not. Not to mention he hasn't performed well when he's been up here.

What's so major league about the name Cabrera? or Bedard?

What should I name my firstborn so that he'll be a Hall of Famer?

Do the words, small sample size mean anything to you?

True.

I wouldn't give up on Penn, but, on the other hand- acquiring a player like Baldelli is getting good value.

Penn and Ray seems a bit much, but- it is a roll of the dice. It would be nice to see the Orioles willing to take a risk like this.

If all three players play to their potential- Baldelli has the chance to be the best of the three. Ray, or any closer for that matter, is replaceable. We have Olson, Erbe, Liz, Beato, etc.... to replace Penn down the road.

But, we have nothing resembling Baldelli close to the major league level.

Therefore, I would pull the trigger on a Penn/Ray for Baldelli deal if it is offered to us.

If you want to give up Penn, that is fine. I don't think we should in this deal (not that it would matter; Tampa Bay's trading philosophy makes Peter Angelos look like a wheeler and dealer), but I can understand why some would.

However, can we stop shoe-horning poor rationalizations for why he should be traded? I have yet to see a legitimate one, outside of simply having to give up talent for talent.

No way I make that deal. Not because I am not a trader like you...granted you know a lot more and some of those trades are good, i just feel too strongly about Ray. Penn maybe.....and Wright :rolleyes: You think they'd take him or Trac??

Their continues to be rumors about Tampa possibly listening to offers for Baldelli.

For the Orioles to acquire him, we would almost certainly have to trade Chris Ray and a starter. They may insist on Loewen BUT i think we could probably give them Penn and i think that offer would be alot for them to say no to.

So, would you guys deal Ray and Penn for Baldelli? Is this something we should push for now or should we just see how things play out for a while?

IMO the Red Sox make a real interesting trade partner, and at last check they're still looking for a legit closer.

Start mixing and matching Ray and Penn with names like WM Pena, Hansen, Lester, Ellsbury and you could certainly come up with some intriguing possibilities.

This may sound silly, but right now I want to go into the year with the guys we have. I love the bullpen and think our hitting will be good enough to win. If our starters come through, we could really make a push. Trading for Baldelli or Pena would be fine, but not at the expense of Chris Ray. Lets wait on the year to start and the young pitchers to meld.

IMO the Red Sox make a real interesting trade partner, and at last check they're still looking for a legit closer.

Start mixing and matching Ray and Penn with names like WM Pena, Hansen, Lester, Ellsbury and you could certainly come up with some intriguing possibilities.

I don't think i would trade Ray and Penn for all 4 of those guys.

Archived